80/20

80% vs. 20%?

• Total voters

Bigfly

Reaction score
It is widely accepted that fish feed 80% of the time subsurface, 20% on top.
So, i'm curious, what percentage of you wait for it to "get good" for dries,
vs. fishing 80% of the time? :D
Maybe add yrs fished too.

Jim

jamieof

Reaction score
I voted "Everything", but for me, fishing dry flies provides so much more enjoyment than fishing subsurface.

I've been fly fishing "seriously" for less than a year. I'm one of those who used to think that trout were stupid and will bite into anything that passes in front of them.

I started fishing dries only, and with the help of the fine folks on this board, learned the 80-20 and started to learn what happens underneath is (probably) more important than what happens on the surface.

Jamie.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
.... I think it's more like 90/10 %

I'd fish on top all the time if I could, but that's not very practical
Visual is a lot more fun, and I don't mean with a bobber

for trout, it's about 40/60... top/sub
warm water....80/20.... top/sub
salt.... 10/90 .... top/sub

I've fly fished exclusively since 1972

Davo

Reaction score
I voted fish it all, though I fish dries when there out and fish streamers 90% of my time on the water. I rarely if ever fish nymphs, just reminds me too much of being a little kid with a bobber and a hotdog!! :D:p

Bigfly

Reaction score
Davo, I don't do hotdogs, mostly because I lived on a hog farm awhile.
But I got kid roots with a bobber. Roots fishin'!
Actually, I am a recovering dry-fly Nazi.
I see a nose, I'm on it. It's a rare day when I don't carry a second rod rigged for dries.
Mostly the water here is big, and we use a bit of weight (especially now). So, bobberville.
I will fish any style except drop-shot. But that's another poll.
Here, I think Rips right, 90/10 to be pragmatic.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

I couldn't find a choice that fit. When I lived in the North East I fished dries when it was obvious that it would be fun but stuck to my streamers probably 80% of the fishing. Here in AK. I only use a dry fly for grayling except for the rare day when the big rivers boil with char & trout responding to a blanket of stone flies. Those are rare days indeed so here it's 99.9% wet flies = Feather Wings, Salmon Flies and Spey style flies.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Ard, I believe sub-surface covers your style as well.
I would be happy as hell to be limited to wets/streamers!!!!
I say too often (true anyway) we are shaped by the waters we fish.
Really just curious, out of a hundred, how many limit themselves to dries, no matter what.
I know some of us fish 100% of the time, rather than 10-20%.

Jim

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
Have only been on the fly since January. Would say that my percentage is 90/10 I fish with midges when I want to catch fish, but I also work on streamer and dry fishing techniques every time I go out.

Dave

Jimmie

Reaction score
I voted everything, but the truth is I'm flat no good with the nymphs. Been Fly Fishing three years. Still don't feel most takes with the nymphs.
I buy into the saying that the fish caught on top is 2" longer than the same fish caught subsurface. The only reason I buy into that is I can't catch them under water, LOL........except streamers:)

dean_mt

Reaction score
All of it.

It depends so much on the time of the year for me. In early spring here it would be an waste of time to fish dries all day -- if you had any intention of catching a fish. Of course, there are a lot of days I would rather be casting dry flies - with no chance of catching fish - that doing most other things. So I nymph fish. In the early spring and if I can steal away in the winter, I nymph. And I can enjoy the hell out of it.

Once summer rolls around and I can reliable fish dries, prospecting with attractors, terrestrials or caddis/adams/etc between hatches - then I'll do that. But I'd have a hard time putting a percentage on my break down.

One thing I know for sure, I do not fish streamers nearly enough. Maybe 2%. I've been committed to doing it more, I just don't feel confident. This year I am going to do more.

O and I started fly fishing in my early 20s...been at it for about 15 years now.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I should add that most of the time, when I fish for largemouth or bluegill, if I'm not able to fish on top, I don't bother.
You fish for fun and so you might as well fish the way you want
I fish for my own enjoyment, and that's what I like

Bigfly

Reaction score
Jimmie, you look me up if you come north. We'll fix you up.
Dean Mt., HAZA!!!!!
As a guide I've wondered why I have so much water to myself most of the time.
Miles of it.
The fish are there, they have to eat, but seven to eight months out of a year hardly any fisherpersons on the water. (Not really an issue)
?????????????
It's because they're not "rising".
I think it's great to fish a dry, but I refuse to complain about fishing if they won't look up.
And please, as a client, don't look at me like I've got soiled drawers, if I suggest Indy style or whatever.
It's taken a while to get my head around it too.
But if you change it up, you can just keep fishing.............
Why wait till summer, warmish water, knee deep in company, spooky fish.
I vote for fishing it all. Year-round. (Although I don't want to appear obsessed.)
As far as streamers go Dean, I've consistently caught much bigger fish on a streamer than on a dry. Some folks may look at you funny.... but go for it anyway.
And, it's snowin' again.

Jim

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
I voted "fish it all", but the truth is that if I think there's even a chance that a dry or popper will get me a fish, then that's the way that I'll be going. It's just more fun to see the take on top.

Pocono

Jackster

Reaction score
If I even think I saw a fish nose peak out of the film I'm on dry flies. There's just something about the take that is a huge part of the enjoyment for me. For pure numbers it's hard to beat subsurface but if I had my druthers...
Guides are funny. Each one of you, just like your customers, are different. I remember going out with a guide from a well known shop in W. Yellowstone. As we walked to the boat we were kicking up swarms of juicy hoppers. In the boat, the first thing the guide does is rig up bobbers and nymphs. I asked if he didn't notice the hoppers on the trail and he said he did but indicators was the way to go. After a half hour of begging him to tie a hopper on I finally told him his tip depended on his tying hoppers on both of our lines. He did and we just nailed 'em after that. Big fun for sure. Results of the first casts with the hoppers between Bill and I...

When I was a kid our family fished a lot. We made no distinction between worms and dry flies. It was whatever worked.
In the early '80's my job gave me pretty much two roads to choose... become a professional lounge lizard and hang out in hotel bars while on the road or find something easier on the heart, soul and liver. Fly fishing it was and boy, did I get my licks in. Red Ball bootfoots over suit pants was the call after work. I was able to plan road trips around runs and hatches. Dang that was great!

mack_s

Reaction score
I fish it all.

Never really considered myself a 'Dry Fly' fisherman. My prefered fly is a nice big streamer. I'll fish drys on occasion and when I do I prefer terristrials (sp?) such as hoppers, beetles, etc.

As for fly fishing and tying...been doing it off and on for the last 40 years. Wow, there's a reality check for ya!! :D

Bigfly

Reaction score
Jackster, (sweet fish pic) a hopper was the first fly I fished/tyed. If they are out, I fish'em.
I learned to match the hatch with them. Gray, brown, pink, green, blue legged, redlegged....etc. (Favorite way to fish'em now, is drowned. Doubled my takes.)
Can't say if guides are "funny" before they start, or if it's learned.
On kind water, a sloppy drift, or poor fly selection may still work.
Here, I mostly need to raise skill sets to score. If you've only fished creeks with dries, this place will work you.
Think dentistry, or maybe a batting cage with machine set at 90mph (Wiff, wiff, wiff).
I understand only doing what you enjoy. It is a "free country", and, it's your day..
But over time I've had to go away from my comfort zone (dries) to catch fish.
This is all I'm trying to share with my clients..
The more tricks in your kit, the better off you are.
My MO now, is to take the game to the fish, not wait for the rise.
To me, it's great to approach water at any flow, anytime of year, and have game.
Mack, I hope you swing thru Truckee with your streamers, maybe fall?
The biggy browns here love a good sculpin.
Keep the poll rolling.

Jim

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I went back and gave it a 'Fish It All' because if I were still living in the lower 48 that is what would happen. Versatility was always the key.

FlyBum

Reaction score
I've fly fished for about 25 years...I don't know If I ever told this before, but before last year I'd only fished nymphs once without success. For some reason I was intimidated by the things read and saw in videos about getting a good drift subsurface. So I only fished dries and most of the time I caught a lot of small fish, but I purposely fished places where fish were not planted. After my children were born and I got 100% custody I still fly fished, but seldom. I mostly gear fished when ever I did. Last year I fished with a guide to learn how to fish nymphs indi style, dry dropper, and tight lining, High Sticking without indicators. I have to admit I love nymph fishing, because I've been small fished out and since I've started fishing below the surface I've caught my biggest trout on a fly. The truth is and its probably, because of my early exposure to books and videos by Gary Borger I've always believed that trout feed 90% of the time below surface and some more than that. Matter of fact even if I see fish rising, I'm now likely to try fishing emergers and cripples in or just below the film, before going to purely surface dry flies. So I'd probably say from now on I suspect I'll likely fish dry flies 5% of the time. This year I intend to learn to fish streamers, I've been told by a friend and guide I've learned quite a bit from that once I do I'll likely want to fish nothing else. We'll see!

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
Tom, I'd be willing to bet we have one of the highest washout rates in sports.
Information overload (bugsbugsbugsbugs), some practice is required (castcastcastcast), and FFishings snotty reputation as well..( so...what kind of rod do you fi..Oh,mines a ___,
with a custom___reel, designed for private water I have the keys to.....
Pricey gear, travel times to good water, fear of wading, knots, failure, hooks, snakes, etc......
I'm glad we were able to hang tough.
Because I have some similar memories, I try hard to simplify things, and make flyfishing approachable. Of course, you still need water and practice. That's the minimum.
But with many people, once they have experienced the "Water world", without pressure, it's pretty hard for them to put it down. I know I'm ruined.
I fish dries, nymphs, emergers, cripples, fry, worms, eggs, accidentals, and stuff that shouldn't catch fish, but does.
In any style I can learn, or make up.
Much of the time, I just sit, watch and learn. To me now, fish are a bonus.
I'm sorry, what was the question?

Jim