Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you use Waders or rough it?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use Waders

61 29.61%
  • I rough it

28 13.59%
  • Depends

117 56.80%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Waders vs. Shorts

Default Re: Waders vs. Shorts

I'd still like to know where in NY waders are required!
    Gary

LOL! Yea Buddy!
    The rivers we fish in the summer run cold enough I don't worry much, stillwaters are a whole other story.

I always where something to cover my legs. Breathables with various layers underneath if the water is anywhere from cool to freezing and thin fishing pants with the zip-off legs in anything else, no matter how warm the water.
    The pants help prevent bugs, leeches and other critters easy access as well as prevent sunburn. They dry so quick you hardly know they were wet a short while after leaving the water.
    I tried wading sandals for a while but went back to wading boots. Not just for the stability but for fear of folding a toe nail over.

4. Likes Sep liked this post

I always use waders...not only for cold and bugs and leaches ...there are snakes too

6. Default Re: Waders vs. Shorts

I voted waders because if i get a cut on my leg, i dont want harmfull bacteria getting in it!

Depending on the day and situation, I might wear waders, I might wear hip-boot, or I might wade wet, but I never wear shorts

The banks of larger rivers around here are choked with the stuff. Grows as tall as trees

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

8. Likes Sep, smilingduck liked this post
    Blog Entries

If I am going to be standing in water above my wading boot, then I wear waders, always. Between bacteria, poision oak, ivy, nettles, etc it just isn't worth it.

I will however wear long hiking style pants if I'm fishing small streams that I would not wade in. Streams so small that one or two steps gets you across them. I still wear wading boots though with foldover neoprene liners.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

I paid a lot for my SImms I'm gonna use them

11. Likes wjl liked this post
  12. Default Re: Waders vs. Shorts

When the waters wram up I will go in shorts and surf shoes. My waders were worn beyond repair earlier this year so on a warm day this November I was nuts enough to wade in shorts and surf shoes. After 10 minutes I could not feel my feet. After 20 minutes I starting losing my balance because I could not feel contact with the river bottom. I drew a lot of stares from fellow fisherman in their waders and more than a few comments on my sanity. But hey, it was too nice out not to fish! Didn't catch anything, except for maybe a cold, but it sure beat going to work!

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by dadharr View Post
    When the waters wram up I will go in shorts and surf shoes. My waders were worn beyond repair earlier this year so on a warm day this November I was nuts enough to wade in shorts and surf shoes. After 10 minutes I could not feel my feet. After 20 minutes I starting losing my balance because I could not feel contact with the river bottom. I drew a lot of stares from fellow fisherman in their waders and more than a few comments on my sanity. But hey, it was too nice out not to fish! Didn't catch anything, except for maybe a cold, but it sure beat going to work!
    Sounds like my Canadian friend. A couple of years ago we were fishing in really cold water and he looked over at me and said "When it's time to go, you may have to help me out of the water. I can't feel my legs." He doesn't do that anymore.

By the way, I notice you are new to the forum.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast