Waders vs. Shorts

Do you use Waders or rough it?

• Total voters

damod

Reaction score
When I was growing up I was always told not to use waders because they present a potential drowning hazard and to just tough it out..

I personally fish in shorts and flip flops even in the cold streams.

Anyone else rough it around here?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
"Depends"......When the rivers run too cold, or dirty I wear waders, but when temps start spiking on the high end it's time for shorts and wading boots.

If it's in stillwaters or ponds I'll also wader up. I've seen one too many Leeches go where they shouldn't!:surprise:

jcw355

Reaction score
I'll wear wading pants. I scratch chigger and tick bites too much and would get something from the water.

nerka

Reaction score
I am generally in waders. Because in AK, even on the warmest day I am still asking for trouble by going bare legged. It gets you dead. Literally.

FlyBum

Reaction score
I don't wear Depends yet... However, location and water temperature determine whether or not I wet wade.

Leeches go where they shouldn't!:surprise:
As far as I'm concerned anywhere they attach themselves to me is somewhere they should go. Though there sure are regions that are worse then others. :eek:

I am generally in waders. Because in AK, even on the warmest day I am still asking for trouble by going bare legged. It gets you dead. Literally.
Is that, because of hypothermia, the giant masquitos or...?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
At my age, Depends are necessary. milt.
I had a feeling that some would make a "Depends" joke.

Dennis

Edit: I chose depends on the poll. I may go fishing later this afternoon and evening. The air temperature will be 90 degrees in the Sierra Foothills, but the water will be around 50 degrees. Think major shrinkage. I'll be wearing my waders with at least a base layer.

Dennis

Bigfly

Reaction score
Dennis, we haven't made it up to 50 yet here.
Swings between 42-47. No shorts yet.
But it has spawned another idea from bigfly industries.
"Hot Pocket"
A special pouch with a sleeve that accepts those chemical packets for hands.
Just the thing for fathers day. Makes your girl happy too.
"FIGHT THE SHRINK!"

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
In some New York streams wet wading is not allowed.

Randy
Is this a law? What could possibly be the reasoning behind this? I cannot think of any reason. How can a state outlaw going into water without goretex on??

Anyway, I voted "depends". When water is high and/or cold I like to focus on fishing, not freezing my a$$ off. When it's hot and buggy, I wet wade, but never in shorts. If you don't own a pair of fast drying nylon pants, get some. They are so much more comfortable than shorts. When it's really hot out, they stay wet/damp for a while and keep you cooler but are never soaked or heavy. Plus bush-whacking through tall grass, briars, mosquito swamps etc is not very enjoyable in shorts, not for me.

Davo

Reaction score
Unless it is really cold out I prefer to wet wade. So other than early spring and late fall it's shorts for me!! :D

milt spawn

Reaction score
Is this a law? What could possibly be the reasoning behind this? I cannot think of any reason. How can a state outlaw going into water without goretex on??

Anyway, I voted "depends". When water is high and/or cold I like to focus on fishing, not freezing my a$$ off. When it's hot and buggy, I wet wade, but never in shorts. If you don't own a pair of fast drying nylon pants, get some. They are so much more comfortable than shorts. When it's really hot out, they stay wet/damp for a while and keep you cooler but are never soaked or heavy. Plus bush-whacking through tall grass, briars, mosquito swamps etc is not very enjoyable in shorts, not for me.
Probably for public health reasons, water supply. And its probably the water agency, if not the state. milt.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Unless it is really cold out I prefer to wet wade. So other than early spring and late fall it's shorts for me!! :D

Dude, I've seen your legs a few times and feel that maybe you should take some advice that Mr Glissmeyer offered and wear waders more often. :D:D

hillbilly rick

Reaction score
Shorts and wading boots. I'd like to have waders for cooler times and when I'm in northern states, but I won't buy the cheapos and good ones cost.

In some New York streams wet wading is not allowed.

In King county Wa. they're trying to pass a law that if you're in a river or stream, you MUST wear a life jacket, no matter the water depth. It may have passed by now. What next, you have to carry an umbrella to keep from getting sun burnt?
Rick

stimulator2

Reaction score
I voted depends i sometimes wet wade in shorts or in jeans but most always wear my waders in tailwater and in murky streams..

dhayden

Reaction score
In King county Wa. they're trying to pass a law that if you're in a river or stream, you MUST wear a life jacket, no matter the water depth. It may have passed by now. What next, you have to carry an umbrella to keep from getting sun burnt?
Rick
lol - I fish a lot of streams where this would be really funny looking.. 1 foot of water with a life vest!

They probably bubble wrap themselves before getting into a car

I googled.. came up with this:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/King-Co-requires-life-vests-for-swimmers-1432255.php

jamieof

Reaction score
SNIP<<< I've seen one too many Leeches go where they shouldn't!:surprise:
My dad tells a story about one of his patients came in on an emergency one evening years ago with several leeches stuck on to his privates. He said one look at what that guy went through and you have your answer.

Jamie