Most Productive Flies

tie one on

Reaction score
If I had a favorite I would say it is a Nymph. I findI use them more often. If after trout I usually usea two fly tandem rig with some type of small nymphoff the back of a bigger dry.If after smallies I will use a larger nymph or some typeof streamer.Mostly I guess it depends on what species I am after &when. (spring, summer, etc.)Tie One On

Joni

Reaction score
Rivers are nymphs (Copper Johns being the most productive) Stillwater, Leeches (the Haslem Chub or Crayfish pattern or Gartside's Soft Hackle)

BigCliff

Reaction score
I probably catch more fish on wets than any other, though streamers come in a close second. I also fish wets in more ways that other flies. I will fish them upstream as an emerger, swung downstream, in tandem with other larger flies, and even down deep in a bounce nymphing rig.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
On big tail waters it has to be nymphs. I fish a lot with a big dry fly as an indicator and a weighted nymph as a dropper. Most fish will take the nymph but I have caught three 5lb rainbows on the dry fly. Two on a hopper and one on a big old red humpy. During the summer of 2005 at the Texas Hole on the San Juan I hooked a monster trout on a tiny nymph but could not keep it on. It was the biggest trout I have see on the San Juan. Frank

Jakeway

Reaction score
Not only do I catch most of my fish on steamers, 90% of them are on Wooly Buggers or Clouser Minnows. Of course, most of the fish I catch are either bluegills, bass, or in the winter, skipjack. I only fish trout a couple times a year, though this year I hope to increase that 4 fold.

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Impressive selection......... 1.what do you use in lakes?
2. what for streams? 3. Dryfly favorites? 4. Caddis imitators? 5. Hopper copiers? 6. best nymph?

Break it down for me...... interested in cross country data.... to see common answers .....

Thanks
AB

Jakeway

Reaction score
In Middle Tennessee the lake fly fishing is for panfish, bass, or stripers. Wooly Buggers are good for all; Stripers go for large streamers like Clouser Minnows.

In tailwaters, most common combination is a scud, copper john, or pheasant tail under an Elk Hair Caddis as an indicator. Big browns in the tailwaters go for streamers like WB or other good monnow imitations.

madriverbrown

Reaction score
Lakes - Streamers,Buggers and Clousers
Streams - Buggers and Clousers
BH Patterns and Streamers
Dry Fly - Adams Parachute or Elk Hair Caddis
Caddis - BH Caddis Larva or Elk Hair
Hoppers - Para Hopper
Nymph - Pheasant Tail or Hares Ear (BH)

My all around favorite pattern I like is one I tie myself.
It's called a killer caddis. I use a Daiichi 1250 BL hook,
caddis beads(small), and haretron. Used as a dropper it's
dynamite in spring creeks and tailwaters. Pattern is as follows:

Hook - D1250BL #14 - #16
Tag - Caddis Green Dubbing
Body - 4 to 5 Caddis Green Beads
Head - Black Haretron (Dubbing Loop)

You can tie variations galor with the availability of
beads and dubbing. I just prefer caddis green because
of where I use it.

GRN

Reaction score
My two best can be fished dry, wet as a nymph, and as streamers or swimming wet... Kennebago Muddler (dry makes a great Drake cripple) and the Picket Pin. They also work everywhere, and don't let anyone tell ya different! :wink:

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Yes,I can supply Quality flies to you. Am located in Kenya where my firm is.
Regards,

Dominic Mwathi
Think we have a spammer............any bread and mustard? Frank can you do the honors?

Sorry Domflies, but this is a noncommercial forum. Take out an ad. Unless your giving them away or want to get in a swap?

domflies

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Think we have a spammer............any bread and mustard? Frank can you do the honors?

Sorry Domflies, but this is a noncommercial forum. Take out an ad. Unless your giving them away or want to get in a swap?

Yes, I want to get in a swap.

Thanks,

Domflies

FlyGal

Reaction score
Lakes & Streams - Baitfish, Leach Patterns and Sculpin Clousers
Dry Fly - Adams Parachute or various Usual
Caddis - Caddis Larva, Elk Hair or Zebra Caddis
Hoppers - Black cricket, Joe's hopper
Nymph - Pheasant Tail or Hares Ear
Softhackle - I like to use what's called a split tail searching pattern.