Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What release tool do you use?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forceps (Hemostats)

157 67.97%
  • Pliers

9 3.90%
  • Ketchum Release tool

12 5.19%
  • Hands and fingers

42 18.18%
  • LDR (Long Distance Release)

1 0.43%
  • Gaff

0 0%
  • Boga Grip

5 2.16%
  • Other

5 2.16%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: What release tool do you use?

Forcepts seem to be my quickest release method. I don't like to carry a net too often so i use my hand to hold the fish and try to keep it in the water as much as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]ROVER >-<>

Default Re: What release tool do you use?

Other - barbless hooks and a little slack once I have them to my boot... works for most, the rest see the net and my big fat finger

3. Default Re: What release tool do you use?

fingers always work if its not deep. if not those forcepts work wonders. there is by all means still the best release of all (for the fish that is). that is you almost getting um in and then poof be gone. they get off and are long gone! lol.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
    fingers always work if its not deep. if not those forcepts work wonders. there is by all means still the best release of all (for the fish that is). that is you almost getting um in and then poof be gone. they get off and are long gone! lol.
    Ahh the long line release!! Know it all to well. LOL
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Blog Entries

Find it interesting that not many people use the Ketchum Release tool. You see them all over the place. I expected they were more popular than this poll shows. I never bought one cause I feared they would tear up the large flies we use on the Snake most of the summer.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Find it interesting that not many people use the Ketchum Release tool. You see them all over the place. I expected they were more popular than this poll shows. I never bought one cause I feared they would tear up the large flies we use on the Snake most of the summer.
    I've got one of those, but never used it. My vest's overburdened as it is, and my Rising Crocodile "hemostat" will also do pretty much the same thing as the Ketchum because toward the tip right before the clamp it forms an "O" to minimize mashing the fly. That "O" can also be slid down the tippit to the hook to release it Ketchum-style. I also think it complicates the Ketchum purchase decision that they come in three different sizes for different-sized flies.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Blog Entries

Same here, I bought one of the Ketchum releases years ago, its still in my vest but I never have used it. Need to do a cleaning out of the vest as its got way too much junk in it. Usually, I just use my forcepts if the hook doesn't come out on its own (I like to crimp down the barb on my hooks).

8. Default Re: What release tool do you use?

Hemostats or my hands for everything but pike. For those critters I go with needle nose pliers. Last summer had one tear open my hand while I was in a rush, by just brushing against it and not even biting down.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Hi Davo,

I have used one occasionally since they came on the market. You have to size the Ketchum to the size of fly you are using. When you slide the tool down the line to the fly, the fly goes inside of the tube on the end of the tool. I have found that it works best on larger fish. With small fish, you don't have enough resistance to remove the fly. At least that has been my experience. You are right that some really big streamers might be a problem.

What's a release tool?

I always use barbless hooks and the only fish, that I fish for, that swallow a lure so far I can't simply get it out with my fingers are bass. I rarely fish for bass, but when I do, I use foreceps to grab the hook and either a net or (usually just) my hands to grab the fish. When I fish for trout, I use a net to grab the fish and usually the hook will come out on its own as the fish flops around in the net. If the hook doesn't come out on its own, I just use my fingers. Trout tend not to swallow hooks from what I've seen so the foreceps would never get used whenever I brought them on trout fishing trips. Now, for mixed fisheries, where a bass and trout are of equal likelihood to eat my hook, I'll often bring foreceps anyway, even if I'm targeting trout.
    The other flies, n., pl.
    1. dry flies, nymphs, emergers, terrestrials, streamers, etc.
    2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast