• Boga Grip

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
What method do you use to remove the hook from your fish?

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Sorry, Cliff I was still working on the options. You can vote now.

Joni

Reaction score
If I need help which doesn't happen very often cause I use barbless hooks, would be forceps

KRD

Reaction score
I use what ever I can get my hands on. It is either Pliers, forcepts or the long distance release. I'm good at the LDR.

Joni

Reaction score
I use what ever I can get my hands on. It is either Pliers, forcepts or the long distance release. I'm good at the LDR.

LMAO! Gotta agree on the LDR's ;-)

BruceN

Reaction score
On the odd occasion where I don't do an LDR I use a hemostat.

Bruce

Fish Bones

Reaction score
For the size fish that I catch, I really need channel locks. :shades: But since that wasn't an option I chose hemostats/forcepts.

FISHN50

Reaction score
Is gaff & release an option.
Seriously I use a net only if the fish (trout) sre still feisty or for whatever reason I can't use my handy dandy slit tube, catch & release tool. & then I'll use Hemostats. If I can release them without using the net I will. I've never tried one of those small Boga Grip like tools on trout & I wonder if they will immobilize them long enough to release them quickly without handling them & compromising the protective slime. I've used them on strippers & of course bluefish & pike , & other toothy critters but I wonder if trout's lower jaws are strong enough to handle the strain. I don't think I'll have to lift the fish out of the water completly just the head. Has anyone tried using those tools?

Bob Lang

Reaction score
A net to hold 'em and a barbless hook normally slips right out. If you do it right you never touch 'em with your hands. On occassion I have had to use forceps, usually if they tried to swallow the hook.

zerolimit

Reaction score
Normally a little finger pressure or a little shake removes the barbless hooks I use but if not, I'll use hemostats.

Trout Madness

Reaction score
For anything under 12 inches, I use a Boga Grip followed by a stout rap between the eyes with a lead core staghorn priest I picked up in Scotland. This usually quiets the little bugger down long enough for me to extract the barbless hook with my fingers provided that I don't run it through my thumb pinning me to the fish. That's when the fun really starts. Just kidding Terry, I use my fingers.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
whats a long distance release? the fish snapping your line when he takes off like a bullet and is gone like a set of rims at a p diddy concert?? lol

mrcleanx

Reaction score
A net and fingers mostly. Sometimes I'll need the forceps if the hook is deeper.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
...I've never tried one of those small Boga Grip like tools on trout & I wonder if they will immobilize them long enough to release them quickly without handling them & compromising the protective slime. I've used them on strippers & of course bluefish & pike , & other toothy critters but I wonder if trout's lower jaws are strong enough to handle the strain. I don't think I'll have to lift the fish out of the water completly just the head. Has anyone tried using those tools?
FISHN50, assume you are referring to those Rising tools like Lippa4Life and Crocodile Pliers? I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinions on them as well.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Used my aluminum ($$$) Lippa4Life for the first time a week or so ago in the San Juan/NM on 17-20" trout. Found that I was able to return them to the water much faster and in better shape than I would have been able to do otherwise, even with barbless hooks.