15 30.00%
  • Semi-regular

13 26.00%
  • Can't seem to stop!

7 14.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bug seining?

Default Re: Bug seining?

Next weekend, hopefully there won't be any storming going on. I'm going to take my camera which has a super macro to a 1/2".
    Okiemountaineer

Here is a few different bugs we found this weekend, couple diffrent caddis, at least 4 different mayfly nymphs, sowbugs, scuds, leeches, crawfish, minnow, midges, stonefly and a couple others I forget what they were. Some can't be seen and some are in a pic I didn't post, forgot it.

Okiemountaineer

Those are quite the assortments of critters you gathered there. How about sharing your technique. Shuffle? Top to bottom?
    I'm only skimming the surface film now but it looks like I'm doind everything wrong or I fish the wrong rivers!

It was an Entomology class, we shuffled along the bottom. He wanted us to see everything there was in the water. It was well worth the $75 for the class. Fished a half day saturday then 5 hours of lecturing. Sunday was a 3.5 hour field trip where we seined and discussed fly selection. Fished from noon till 4, caught a nice brown on a PMD which was one of the mayflys that are hatching there.
    Okiemountaineer

I hardly ever do and when it do its to figure out what's on top of the water. All in all I tend to go along with what Dean Mt said, my patterns are more impressionistic than imitative. The entomology side is definitly interesting though.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

I have a quick seine on my net, as others have mentioned, I seine in the river, along with checking rocks, bushes, etc. Funny I don't typically seine in the lakes, but then again, I can't always get to the depth I need to seine at (what are the fish eating at 6 feet down). I do look at the bugs on the surface when tubing, and I drag my net in the water while kicking out, then take a look at what was caught in it. So, I put semi-regular on my poll entry.

To be honest though, I like it when fish are rising, and you can see what they are rising too on the surface, and then throw em a dry fly. Most of my lake and river fishing is nymphs, but I do enjoy the days when there is a hatch going off, you can see what they are hitting, and you can get into the risers.

d

Blog Entries

JCW, that is a nice haul.
    Crays, mays, stones, and Caddis larva.
    Looks like a Caddis Pupa too.
    One of my favorites, because they are easy for fish to catch, and a Bird's nest in tan or green will work. Impressionistic, just not on the surface.
    Just remember, the whole river bottom is connected into a single ecosystem.
    You rock worlds as it were, when seining, so be kind.

Jim

I'd like to know what that big honker mayfly nymph is, the one messing with the craw's tail in the 4th pic. That bugger is huge!
    Could it be a big ISO?
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    I'd like to know what that big honker mayfly nymph is, the one messing with the craw's tail in the 4th pic. That bugger is huge!
    Could it be a big ISO?
    It is an Iso. We found two of those. March browns, BWO's and maybe he said PMD were the others. Might have been a cahill. Cool just finding all that.
    Okiemountaineer

october caddis....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast