What Color Fly Rod Do You Like the Best?

What Rod Color Do You Like the Best?

• Green

Votes: 53 30.5%
  • Brown

Votes: 23 13.2%
  • Olive

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Blue

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Gray

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Black

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Burgundy

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Purple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pink

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Fish Bones

Reaction score
What Color Fly Rod Do You Like the Best?

There have been an increasing number of rod colors to become available. I know the fish don't care but I want to know what you think? So, I'd like to know what rod color is your favorite from a cosmetic point of view. It doesn't matter what rod you presently own... just tell us what color you presently like the best.

So, please place your poll vote and feel free to make a post to add comments. For example: Who makes the rod in your favorite color?... Do you prefer a matte or glossy finish?... What hardware color do you like?

Thank you very much for your participation.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
I have 2 green and 2 black. I voted green but to me it really don't matter. As long as I like the way it cast.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I actually like the raw unprettied look of Scott's G and Heli-Ply series rods. It has the glint of the graphite fibers and you can see how it was rolled up. The translucent thread they use in the wraps combined with the hand painted lettering just appeals to me.

Outside of that, the orangy burgundy of Sage's TCR rod's is awfully pretty.

BruceN

Reaction score
I chose green, particularly darker 'forest' or 'hunter' greens (like on the Winston Boron and LT rods), but some of the reds on the newer Orvis rods are quite nice. I like a glossy finish with polished nickel or gold colored hardware and nice polished wood reel seat.

Bruce

ezamora

Reaction score
i wrap my own rods so everything from the cosmetic point of view is equally important to me as the componentry. i like the ease of matching thread colors when dealing with grey satin or matte blanks, but i wish i had a nice olive color to wrap upon like the new TFO finese or the winston vapor. there's a company called CTS which offers a wide range of colors for their blanks so you have many options and i must admit their tangerine color also intrigues me. i also like the chestnut brown with a slight metallic sheen of the batson RX7+ series of blanks and those tiger eyes sure look purdy in the sun. but i voted for the olive.

eric
fresno, ca.

Bob Lang

Reaction score
I have green, light green, gray and black. Gray is the one I use the most (5wt, 8.5', Medium Flex). It could be yellow, pink, orange or blue for all I care. Just as long as I am comfortable using it and it helps me get the fly where I want it and I will be happy.

Fishplease

Reaction score
I have a navy blue rod, and a bright yellow fly rod.
But I voted for blue because I use it the most.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have been following this thread and I voted for olive. But now that I think about it my favorite color of rod is Bamboo.:)

Joni

Reaction score
You just beat me to it Frank....I was going to say NATURAL or FLAMED LOL

trouty

Reaction score
Interesting that 45% of us [25% 'green' + 20% 'olive'] prefer what amounts to GREEN... :frogdance

Joni

Reaction score
My two favorite rods besides my Boo and Glass would be Orvis TL ( the top of the line for its time later replaced with the TLS and now the Power Matrix)
It had top of the line guides, cork and reel seat but also was in the over $500. It was a beautiful Kelly Green (gone now, was stolen last year) It's replacement would be the RED. As in the Orvis Zero Gravity and the Trout Bum, plus that last of the 2pc. Far and Fine.
The Winston is a BEAUTIFUL Green, but the other two are the ones I use the most. Action is a big part of it.
Ugliest color I would say is the Baby Poop color of the T3. Good thing the rod is so incredible LOL

Reaction score
Not only do I like green or olive, but I think the guides should be dark and not shiny chrome, the more the rod looks like a stick the better...

trout champ

Reaction score
I voted black, but it doesn't really matter to me. I have an Eagle Claw that is black and a Sage that is a copper/gold color. I want to build my own rod but I haven't decided on a color yet - but I'm leaning towards red maybe or just natrual.

natureday

Reaction score
I don't think the fish really like the pink color. And the fisherman don't either:)
Hehehe
Anna:):frogdance

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Matte Gray.
I bought into the idea years ago that anything you can do to keep fish from noticing you and spooking is a good thing, see them before they see you.
I prefer a dull finish to shiny on my equipment for that reason, I am sure the glare and flash of sunlight off a rod, reel, forceps even sunglasses has spooked many a fish.
Anyway most rods I build and use are a dull finish.

The colors and finishes on some of the rods out there now are truly beautiful, along with the exotic wood inserts, and amazing hardware.
Sure would be a shame to have to get the steelwool out and take the shine off a new Winston. LOL just kiddin!!

tightlines57

Reaction score
I don't think the fish really like the pink color. And the fisherman don't either:)
Hehehe
Anna:):frogdance
Didn't TFO make a pink one for breast cancer awareness?

With so many rods of assorted colors and styles, including the natural boo, I do not have a preference.

irish greg

Reaction score
i personally think most of our rods should be a mix of a grey/white mix as most predatory birds have a grey/white underside.and as these birds are a hell of a lot better fishmen than us.maybe their trying to tell us something.and also a matt finish as well.