Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What do you need to fish?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not much, a rod, a reel with line and some flies.

73 74.49%
  • One more thing, a vest to hold all my stuff.

32 32.65%
  • And waders with some old shoes.

28 28.57%
  • I have my good wading shoes too.

36 36.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you need to fish?

Default Re: What do you need to fish?

I try not to take too much on a fishing trip. However the selction process before I leave my place. Well, that's an entirely different story...
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Blog Entries

Dave, I think it was less about the poll's writing and more about me failing in applying my sometimes absent ability to read and use common sense. I'm very tempted to switch from a vest to a chestpack or sling for traveling's sake, but I do like my vest, as it holds my phone/camera in its waterproof case, my leaders, all my fly boxes, my tippet spools, my forceps, clippers, reel lube, zap-a-gap, indicators, and knife. The vest is less about the amount of stuff I carry, which isn't that much, but instead the fact that it makes what I need available and keeps each item in the place that I expect it to be, which speeds up time between casts after I lose or change flies, which I think is very important :P
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

3. Likes cjottawa liked this post

Yeah, you've pretty much pointed out the reasons why, after all this time, I'm considering a vest. Even though I don't carry much, there would be a place for what I take with me.
    There is the posiblity I'll end up filling the extra room with more stuff...

Dave
    There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them.
    -Jim Croce-

not much + some beef jerky. SORTED

6. Default Re: What do you need to fish?

Don't forget the sandwich!

7. Likes cjottawa liked this post
  8. Default Re: What do you need to fish?

Resurrecting an old thread here but one that's been on my mind.

I use a Patagonia Stealth Atom sling bag to carry all my gear. In the sling bag:

I'm also wearing or carrying a ball cap, polarized sunglasses, cell phone, waders, wading boots, and rod(s).

The sling bag is fairly small but contains all the accessories I need; I grab it and my Simms Taco bag that holds my waders, boots and rod case, and I'm good to hit the water.

I've tried a chest/backpack combo but one big downside is you can't wear it around town without looking odd. The sling bag doesn't have that problem. If I don't need waders or wading boots, I ditch the taco bag and it's just the sling and a rod.
    Last edited by cjottawa; 02-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.

9. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I carry as much as I possibly can because I hate being without something when the situation arises. I carry a Fishpond guide pack stuffed pretty full. However, I like to wear as little as possible. Wet wading in shorts and shoes is blissful... but when it gets cold, I wear as much as I have to in order to be warm.

So i have it all waders,vest,wading boots,rods reels, flies.But when it comes down to it i can really get by with a rod,reel,line and some flies depending on how far it is to walk and carry.
    SHANNON

when I was alot younger..........stick*....string....hook....bug.. ..
    *stick was optional......

now that I am alot older........15 rods......6 reels.....4 fly boxes.....vest.......pack....waders....boots.....t ent......cot......4x4.....well stocked fly tying station.......EYEGLASSES!!!!!.....and a little bourbon and spring water...in case of snake bite!!!!
    Last edited by yonder; 11-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

13. Default Re: What do you need to fish?

As much gear as I may have I always find myself going as bare bone as the situation allows. A couple flys and a rod is more than suffeciant at times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast