What do you need to fish?

What do you need to fish?

• Not much, a rod, a reel with line and some flies.

Votes: 68 73.1%
  • One more thing, a vest to hold all my stuff.

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • And waders with some old shoes.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I have my good wading shoes too.

Votes: 34 36.6%

• Total voters

dave5977

Reaction score
I have not been a very active Fly Fisher, even though I have been doing it since the mid 80’s. I might get out a few times a year. I still don’t have a vest! So that puts me in the “Not much” category. That means I don’t wonder to far from the car or camp. It also means I don’t get my shoes wet , well sometimes I do.

What things do you have to have to fish?

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I may have screwed up my vote, as I selected all of the first three rather than just option 3... I saw the "ands" and was lost... Anyway, I tried the wet wading thing this spring. 50 degree water is pretty cold and I like to fish for long periods while also not suffering from hypothermia. Now in Florida, wet wading is ok! So due to my current location, I'm automatically in group 3. I like my vest, but I think I may go over to a sling bag, since this summer may be replete with some international fishing and I don't want to check my vest.

My most important doo-dads outside the necessary rod, reel, line, and flies are my forceps and the waterproof cuffs on my Orvis Pro Guide jacket, but I like my bargain neoprene bootfoot waders too because they keep my toes toasty!

wannafish

Reaction score
I'd be lost without my vest; it has everything I need and if I forget to bring it I may as well go home. I usually travel 45 minutes to my favorite spots so I like to have a trunkload of stuff just in case. :D

webrx

Reaction score
rod, reel, flies, waders, net, boots and my lanyard for the river

Add a float tube and some fins and subtract the boots for the lake

I usually like to take a thermos of coffee too.

d

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Dave,
Like Milt said, "just add water." I'm a minimalist at heart. If I can get away with less, I am happy. Like you, I do not use a vest.

The trip will determine what I will carry. Will one box of 100 flies do? It can for a water I know. I may need another box for a new water. Will I need a net? For most small waters, I won't. For big waters? It could. A lanyard can carry some essentials. A chest pack can do the same. For most the waters that I fish this time of year, I better be wearing waders with good wading boots.

So the moral of the story. Everyone has a comfort zone on what they need. They can be minimalists like me, or they can carry the kitchen sink.

Dennis

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Waders (waters really cold here) jacket (air is usually cold too) rod & reel, spool of tippet and my old leader wallet (it's thin and light) one thin Wheatley 40 clip fly box and my knife & bear spray. Toss in some granola bars and my Katadyn water filter/bottle and I'm good for a 16 hour day (it does not get dark here in the middle of the season)

That's as light as I can go unless I fish from a parked boat and walk away from it. In that case I carry only the fly box and leave everything in the boat unless there are bear tracks everywhere then you gotta remember to clip a spray bomb on your belt. I've never had to use one but try to remember to carry it.

Ard

Last summer (2012) I did have to spray a bear, the stuff works well.

Last edited:

dave5977

Reaction score
Thanks for your'e replies. Your answers are what I was looking for. I like Milt's answer, "Just Add Water." I guess because I'm a minimalist myself.

Sorry about the poll selection. After gatortransplant's reply, it accured to be I can't write a poll properly to save my life.

It's the little things that you answered, like the granola bar and the coffee that I was looking for. I think everybody takes something insignificant that means a great deal to them to fish with.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I own a couple of vests, but don't need them to fish. I use my waders too, but could fish without them, just depends on time of year & location.

I also have a Army surplus canvas bag that will carry anything extra I need, and an old pair of shoes I like for fishing, so I can make due! In my bag I'll carry a box or two of flies, a pair of forceps, a Swiss Army knife, a spool of line for tippet, an extra leader and maybe an extra reel spool with a sinking line, plus a couple of snacks, that's about it!

I usually carry more stuff than I need when I wear a vest, just to be prepared, but could get by with the bare minimum! :)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have two vests that I use, one for trout and one for salt. Plus I have a shoulder bag that's just for smallmouth fishing and 3 boat bags. One warm water, one salt, and one trout.
Some days I'm dressed up like a Orvis ad (Cabala's really :rolleyes:) and other times it's just a lanyard, a tippet spool, and a fly box.
Like all things fly fishing, "it depends" ;)

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Dave, I think it was less about the poll's writing and more about me failing in applying my sometimes absent ability to read and use common sense. I'm very tempted to switch from a vest to a chestpack or sling for traveling's sake, but I do like my vest, as it holds my phone/camera in its waterproof case, my leaders, all my fly boxes, my tippet spools, my forceps, clippers, reel lube, zap-a-gap, indicators, and knife. The vest is less about the amount of stuff I carry, which isn't that much, but instead the fact that it makes what I need available and keeps each item in the place that I expect it to be, which speeds up time between casts after I lose or change flies, which I think is very important :p

dave5977

Reaction score
Yeah, you've pretty much pointed out the reasons why, after all this time, I'm considering a vest. Even though I don't carry much, there would be a place for what I take with me.
There is the posiblity I'll end up filling the extra room with more stuff... :eek:

Dave

cjottawa

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread here but one that's been on my mind.

I use a Patagonia Stealth Atom sling bag to carry all my gear. In the sling bag:

I'm also wearing or carrying a ball cap, polarized sunglasses, cell phone, waders, wading boots, and rod(s).

The sling bag is fairly small but contains all the accessories I need; I grab it and my Simms Taco bag that holds my waders, boots and rod case, and I'm good to hit the water.

I've tried a chest/backpack combo but one big downside is you can't wear it around town without looking odd. The sling bag doesn't have that problem. If I don't need waders or wading boots, I ditch the taco bag and it's just the sling and a rod.

Last edited:

gjcordray

Reaction score
I carry as much as I possibly can because I hate being without something when the situation arises. I carry a Fishpond guide pack stuffed pretty full. However, I like to wear as little as possible. Wet wading in shorts and shoes is blissful... but when it gets cold, I wear as much as I have to in order to be warm.

stimulator2

Reaction score
So i have it all waders,vest,wading boots,rods reels, flies.But when it comes down to it i can really get by with a rod,reel,line and some flies depending on how far it is to walk and carry.

yonder

Reaction score
when I was alot younger..........stick*....string....hook....bug....
*stick was optional......

now that I am alot older........15 rods......6 reels.....4 fly boxes.....vest.......pack....waders....boots.....tent......cot......4x4.....well stocked fly tying station.......EYEGLASSES!!!!!.....and a little bourbon and spring water...in case of snake bite!!!!:D;)

Last edited:

sean_k

Reaction score
As much gear as I may have I always find myself going as bare bone as the situation allows. A couple flys and a rod is more than suffeciant at times.