Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What do you need to fish?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not much, a rod, a reel with line and some flies.

73 74.49%
  • One more thing, a vest to hold all my stuff.

32 32.65%
  • And waders with some old shoes.

28 28.57%
  • I have my good wading shoes too.

36 36.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you need to fish?

I have not been a very active Fly Fisher, even though I have been doing it since the mid 80’s. I might get out a few times a year. I still don’t have a vest! So that puts me in the “Not much” category. That means I don’t wonder to far from the car or camp. It also means I don’t get my shoes wet , well sometimes I do.

What things do you have to have to fish?
    There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them.
    -Jim Croce-

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you need to fish?

I may have screwed up my vote, as I selected all of the first three rather than just option 3... I saw the "ands" and was lost... Anyway, I tried the wet wading thing this spring. 50 degree water is pretty cold and I like to fish for long periods while also not suffering from hypothermia. Now in Florida, wet wading is ok! So due to my current location, I'm automatically in group 3. I like my vest, but I think I may go over to a sling bag, since this summer may be replete with some international fishing and I don't want to check my vest.

My most important doo-dads outside the necessary rod, reel, line, and flies are my forceps and the waterproof cuffs on my Orvis Pro Guide jacket, but I like my bargain neoprene bootfoot waders too because they keep my toes toasty!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

I'd be lost without my vest; it has everything I need and if I forget to bring it I may as well go home. I usually travel 45 minutes to my favorite spots so I like to have a trunkload of stuff just in case.
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Blog Entries

Just add water. milt.

5. Likes noreaster, bigfishcatcher, rubberguy liked this post

rod, reel, flies, waders, net, boots and my lanyard for the river

Add a float tube and some fins and subtract the boots for the lake

I usually like to take a thermos of coffee too.

d

Blog Entries

Dave,
    Like Milt said, "just add water." I'm a minimalist at heart. If I can get away with less, I am happy. Like you, I do not use a vest.

The trip will determine what I will carry. Will one box of 100 flies do? It can for a water I know. I may need another box for a new water. Will I need a net? For most small waters, I won't. For big waters? It could. A lanyard can carry some essentials. A chest pack can do the same. For most the waters that I fish this time of year, I better be wearing waders with good wading boots.

So the moral of the story. Everyone has a comfort zone on what they need. They can be minimalists like me, or they can carry the kitchen sink.

Dennis

Blog Entries

Hi Dave,

Waders (waters really cold here) jacket (air is usually cold too) rod & reel, spool of tippet and my old leader wallet (it's thin and light) one thin Wheatley 40 clip fly box and my knife & bear spray. Toss in some granola bars and my Katadyn water filter/bottle and I'm good for a 16 hour day (it does not get dark here in the middle of the season)

That's as light as I can go unless I fish from a parked boat and walk away from it. In that case I carry only the fly box and leave everything in the boat unless there are bear tracks everywhere then you gotta remember to clip a spray bomb on your belt. I've never had to use one but try to remember to carry it.

Ard

Last summer (2012) I did have to spray a bear, the stuff works well.
    Last edited by Ard; 10-20-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Updated information about bear spray.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thanks for your'e replies. Your answers are what I was looking for. I like Milt's answer, "Just Add Water." I guess because I'm a minimalist myself.

Sorry about the poll selection. After gatortransplant's reply, it accured to be I can't write a poll properly to save my life.

It's the little things that you answered, like the granola bar and the coffee that I was looking for. I think everybody takes something insignificant that means a great deal to them to fish with.
    There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them.
    -Jim Croce-

I own a couple of vests, but don't need them to fish. I use my waders too, but could fish without them, just depends on time of year & location.

I also have a Army surplus canvas bag that will carry anything extra I need, and an old pair of shoes I like for fishing, so I can make due! In my bag I'll carry a box or two of flies, a pair of forceps, a Swiss Army knife, a spool of line for tippet, an extra leader and maybe an extra reel spool with a sinking line, plus a couple of snacks, that's about it!

I usually carry more stuff than I need when I wear a vest, just to be prepared, but could get by with the bare minimum!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

I have two vests that I use, one for trout and one for salt. Plus I have a shoulder bag that's just for smallmouth fishing and 3 boat bags. One warm water, one salt, and one trout.
    Some days I'm dressed up like a Orvis ad (Cabala's really ) and other times it's just a lanyard, a tippet spool, and a fly box.
    Like all things fly fishing, "it depends"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast