Four Stages of Angling

What stage are you at (for the most part)?

• Stage 1: Catching that FIRST fish.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Stage 2: Catching the MOST fish.

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Stage 3: Catching the BIGGEST fish.

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Stage 4: Catching the MOST DIFFICULT fish.

Votes: 26 40.0%

• Total voters

stenacron

Reaction score
I once read that there are four (4) stages that a fly angler passes through;
-Stage 1: To catch your FIRST fish on a fly
-Stage 2: To catch the MOST fish on a fly
-Stage 3: To catch the BIGGEST fish on a fly
-Stage 4: To catch the MOST DIFFICULT fish on a fly

These days I spend most of my time happily bouncing back and forth between stages 2-3 (leaning towards 2), but I have fallen victim to Stage 4 from time-to-time... it is by far the most rewarding (when it works out), but more often than not it has left me stumbling back to the parking area in total darkness, mumbling (grumbling) to myself.

So what stage do you spend most of your time in?

I would be curious if we have any Stage 1's here.

ak allen

Reaction score
Probably 2. But, I will say that I a lot times am just looking to catch a good dinner! If you seen the prices of food here in the interior of Alaska you'd know that a nice fish or 2 could easily cost $20-30 at the grocery store. And it is a lot more fun to catch them. And I think they taste better too!

Jackster

Reaction score
I would say stage 3 and 4. It usually works out that the difficult fish are the biggest and the biggest are the most difficult.

webrx

Reaction score
mostly 3, sometimes 4, sometimes 2. Depends on how I am fishing and who I am fishing with.

I have a buddy that caught his first fish from a float tube the other day, and then 2 yesterday. He is so stoked he was caught in 1 for a while, but after talking him through a specific spot and technique, he landed 2 in a couple hours, the first one within 5 minute of being there, so with him, and when I am fishing with him, it was 1 and then 2 (from a tube) He caught tons as a gear fisherman, but, decided to fly fish last year, and has been dedicated to it (though I think he snuck back to gear a few times when he was alone just to land something).

When my regular fishing buddy and I fish, it is bragging rights, just between us, sometimes how many and sometimes how big, when I fish myself, it is where is the big guy hiding or if I know where, it is how to get him hooked. so, like I said, it depends.

I think each time it is sequence on any given day.
catching the first one of the day, or at this new lake, or location (finding the fish and what they are eating) or this new technique (spey casting or switch casting), or this new fly I tied, or with a new rod, or with a hand tied leader, etc....

If you have a friend with you, and you are catching and they are not, then it becomes (for me), helping him get hooked up with the fish.

Then if everyone is catching a bunch at that location, or etc and the fishing is good, that day, it becomes catching a big one, or the biggest one, and if all that is going well, then, it is about catching that one that is slurping flies over there, or that big one I saw down by the riffle, etc.

Mostly it is just being able to get out, sppend time with friends, enjoy the day, unwind and catch a few fish, and I try to learn something and improve my fishing skillset everytime I am out. This can be anything from identifying the bug on the water to a new stripping method, or easier way to release the the fish, or better way to find them, being better able to think like them, etc.

d

wt bash

Reaction score
I voted #4 but that is something that changes day to day or trip to trip, some days I want to see if I can fool a lot of fish, some I want to focus my efforts on finding a beast, but more so than not I want to fish the most difficult water for spooky fish. Its funny though, sometime all of the above can happen on the same river!

theboz

Reaction score
I voted #4 but sometimes all apply. Catching the big ones is always fun as is catching alot. Big it's that one that challenges your skills and your ability to execute an on the water plan that give the most satisfaction when you finally seal the deal!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have no idea where I would fit in this so I'm going to say I'm a 5 :)rolleyes:) and get the most satisfaction out of just "being there"

Like Chance the Gardner told Eve... "I like to watch"

mattrevors

Reaction score
I'm really going to be focusing on muskie this season, so #4 was what I chose. But I'm also doing local bass tourneys as the token fly guy, so 2 & 3 readily apply, too.

Really, though...I just like catchin' fish!

nymtber

Reaction score
I pick option 5: I just love to fish and don't care how many, how big, or really what species. 99% of the time I put them back, which is why I prefer fishing to hunting. I have NOTHING against hunting/fishing for food, but for now, it makes a lot more work and I would rather spend that extra time still on the water or on the bank catching the fish :) When a fish bites, be it bass, panfish, trout, catfish...whatever, I get that "kid in a candy store" feeling!

huronfly

Reaction score
Never been a numbers person with fishing... so my goal right now is increasing my PB's size-wise. But I think the most satisfaction comes from a difficult cast with a micro drift, dry fly and getting a fish to take under those tough circumstances.:D

denver1911

Reaction score
Stage 1 was about fifteen years for me.

I'm another twenty into stage two.

ryc72

Reaction score
I will happily take 2 or 3 but every once in a while it sure is awesome when you get a day that is a perfect 2 AND 3.

karstopo

Reaction score
I voted option 4.

I really just like being out there. No two days on the water are alike. Everything seems perfect when I'm out on the bay and marsh.

Difficult fish get my attention. A redfish in heavy cover. A sheepshead prowling a grass line. A Tripletail appearing and then it's gone. I like stalking a sighted fish in difficult conditions where I'm using every skill I have to get the eat and the fish to hand. I really like the creativity that goes into those moments.

But whatever the day brings, lots of fish, big fish, difficult fish, no fish...it's all great.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I like to get that first fish, I usually admire it more than the fish that follow.

If I am in a honey hole and there are a lot of fish I will usually catch several and then move on but it is fun to catch willing fish especially sight fishing with dries. Sometimes if there are a lot of fish I like to try different techniques to see how many ways can I catch them. That drives one of my buddies crazy, he is like you are catching fish this way why change? My response is I want to see if I can catch them another way. He hates it when I do that.

A big fish will get my attention, and is usually also a difficult fish. That is fun too.

I also like to go to places that are classified as technical or hard just to test my skills. It is pretty rewarding.

So I guess I am all of the above.

angelo1987

Reaction score
I'am at no stages listed above. As I'am getting older I seem to relax and just enjoy my surroundings, watching birds/animals in their home catching any fish that wants to eat my fly. I dont care no more about the size or how many. I am grateful to have my life and fishing is a love that I cherish