Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Barbed, Barbless or both?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barbed

20 18.02%
  • Barbless

51 45.95%
  • Both

40 36.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barbless or barbed hooks?

Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

I go with whatever the rules are for that spot. Most of the times it's barbless where I fish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tommyc_295 View Post
    I go with whatever the rules are for that spot. Most of the times it's barbless where I fish.
    My province is barbless, and catch and release for trout in streams and rivers, so I'm barbless, or at least a pinched barb, which is considered barbless by everyone here.

I am all barbless, I usually pinch them down with pliers if the hook has a barb, but typically at the shop I buy most of my flies from they are already barbless.

~Stu

Blog Entries

I voted both just because sometimes I forget to crimp the barb down. There are 2 reasons why barbless. I am 100% catch and release so no point in doing any unnecessary harm to the fish.

Secondly I am really really really good at having the fly slip as I cinch the knot and bury it to the bend of the hook in my finger
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Quite right. For me the yes or no is really dependent upon the size of the hook. Size 8 and smaller I'll go barbed if reg's permit. Above that I tend to flatten them out as a personal safety matter.

That little lesson was from a Size 4 2X heavy wire hook. Cost $600.00 to get that damned thing extracted at the Emergency Room.
    I never thought an ear piercing had as much "yank" at the end. Thank heavens it was barbless, never been one for body piercing.

Trout in NM are usually in the 10 - 20 inch range, hate to booger them up. Our snow pack and average c.f.s. on the streams has been much lower than usual, it's nice to keep the fish as happy and healthy as possible. Anglers too!

Blog Entries

BL...always...not to hurt fish,friends and ....myself

7. Likes thorsten liked this post

Hello,

I use barblees hooks to give a little chance to the fish and to release them without a problem. Of course sometimes I loose a fish, but after a short moment of frustration I am happy with him and I say to myself: "next time we will see us again, Buddy"
    Best regards from Germany,

THORSTEN

9. Likes jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

I also have to say both.... I tend to fish lots of water that require it, but I often find myself pinching the barb down on water that does not require it. Mostly from habit. I will say that I just recently lost a very large rainbow that ran right at me immediately after the hook was set. This was on heavily fished water where barbless is required. I lost that fish. Large arbor reel or not, there was no way I was going to get that fish.... I know the hole he was in… there is always next week. I do believe that more fish are lost to barbless hooks, but many more fish live long lives long after the release because of barbless hooks. If I had to choose only one, I would pick Barbless…

I fish 100% barbless for trout, even if it means having to crush the barb.

Think it takes more skill to land the fish without a barb. Plus I've seen dead fish in streams before where peiople have had problems and just ripped the hook out.

I may loose a few with fish throwing the hooks, but I never end up reasing a torn up fish.

12. Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

I also go barbless...especially when I am with my kids. Makes it easier to remove a hook from a finger!!

13. Likes mikel liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast