Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Poll: Barbed, Barbless or both?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

Generally crushed barbs, the hooks I prefer tend to be barbed so I crush them, the bump it creates might help with hook hold, I coarse fished for years before getting into fly fishing and it's 100% barbless or de barbed in the UK so I'm used to it.

Steve

Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

I've fished both for different reasons- and will likely continue to do so. Typically, my decision is not necessarily based on species, but rather hook quality/availability for a given fly I'm tying/fishing.

Barbless. An unpinned fish or two is no big deal. It made me better at keeping tension during the fight. It is a blood sport, and I killed one smallmouth who took a small popper into it's gills. One in more than a decade of fishing sits OK with my fishing conscience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It all depends on the species. I'll crush the barbs when I'm fishing for redfish, but I'll leave them when I'm in the keys looking for tarpon/permit. Ha, I need all the help I can get trying to leader one of those beasts.

I go barbless for trout, barbed for tougher mouths. On a side note, there are a lot of posts here about folks hooking themselves, so I figured I'd share what I know about the mono hook removal trick. I've seen this performed recently on a friend and he returned to fishing with only a sore thumb. *Warning* this video shows a guy hooking himself intentionally with a treble hook, which is a little hard to watch.

Once, on a lazy cast in high wind, I hooked myself right in the corner of the mouth with a size 2/0 Clouser.
    Because of the wide hook gape, it fit perfectly over my lip, never even breaking the skin.
    With a hook that hadn't had the barb crushed, I wouldn't have been so lucky
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

7. Likes brownbass liked this post
    Blog Entries

For trout and panfish I fish barbless hooks. For bigger fish, bass, carp, Steelhead and salmon I stick with the barbed hooks.

Denny

I mostly use barbless hooks. On 3 occasion I will go with Barb. 1. Bass fishing (I haven't found the technique to land bass without a barb.) I lose my be 50% on barbless. 2. Helping my kids fish 3. When I forget. I don't forget a lot but it has happen because I tie all my flys with the Barb and then smash them stream side.

10. Likes dennyk liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123