Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Poll: Barbed, Barbless or both?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

Always barbless for me...
    It I voted barbed... I wasn’t paying attention on my iPad and caught the wrong tab

2. Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

use barbless on most larger flys but barbed on my 20-24 midges

100% barbed. For me it's occupation insurance: I shoot photos for a living and it's really tough to get a great photo of that fish that got away.

Fishing, with any kind of hook, puts a hole in the mouth of a fish. If I really wanted to do less harm to fish, I'd give up fishing altogether. I've accepted that it does in fact do harm to fish. I've made my peace with it.

Blog Entries

Last summer I found a new reason to mash the barbs on my flies: to make releasing my buddy's dog a little easier.

I was trying out a buddy's new rod, and he had a sz 6 streamer tied on. After half a dozen casts or so, I mangled a backcast, and as soon as I went to the forward cast I knew something wan't quite right. About halfway through the stroke, I felt a clunk. I knew I'd hit something with the line or fly so I stopped the cast immediately and turned around to find my buddy's dog about 25 feet behind me, line draped over his shoulder, with a funny look on his face.

Apparently, the dog had been chasing my backcast around, and finally managed to get himself hooked. Moments later I removed the offending fly from his off side, which was easy as I'd mashed the barb just minutes before. Otherwise we might've had to take that dog to the vet.

So remember, dog's hides matter. Go barbless.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

5. Likes Ard, dennyk liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    Last summer I found a new reason to mash the barbs on my flies: to make releasing my buddy's dog a little easier.
    Or humans!

A few years back I was on a flat quite far from land in Seychelles. An errant gust of wind changed the trajectory of a cast and the #4 bonefish fly intended for a fish in front of me buried itself well beyond the barb in the back of my right leg. I had a decision to make: A) cut the tippet, go back (distantly) to land and sort it out, or B) reach down with a hemostat, yank the fly out and get on with it.

It was momentarily bloody, but I went with option B.

7. Likes bocast liked this post

My first fly rod was a Shakespeare composite 7 wt. That piece of...gear coupled with my learner casting let me hear those Zzziinngg! noises from weighted buggers going past my ear in both directions. I heard and heeded the warning. I crush every barb at the vise. Most of the water I fish is single/barbless anyway.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234