Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

View Poll Results: How far do you have to drive for "good fishing?"

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Feels like nothing (right in my back yard)

38 30.40%
  • 20-30 minutes

23 18.40%
  • 30 minutes to an hour

26 20.80%
  • 1-2 hours

18 14.40%
  • 2-3 hours

7 5.60%
  • 3+ hours (basically an all-day event)

13 10.40%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: How Close to Home is "Good" Fishing?

I live 10 minutes from where the east, middle, and west branches combine to form the main branch from that junction I can travel 4 different directions to fish in many different locations, going from a 2wt to a 6wt. Good fishing.

2. Likes karstopo liked this post

Five minute walk to the beach for stripers on the rocks, beach, or little ocean flat.

Five minute drive to more beaches ocean/bay, rocks, bigger flats. Ten to twenty minutes to large wadable ocean flats for stripers.

Two to three hours to the Cape, Islands, Casco, Whites, western MA, VT.

With young kids its great to be able to get out and catch a few fish if the the tide/time are right. Would be nice to be smack in the middle of all those big rivers out west.

I have a good stocked stream a 1/2 mile away.
    I'm also 2 hrs. from the Catskills and NC Pa.

I never realized how close I live to good fishing until this past winter as I started looking into it. For starters, there is a Class A stream less than 2 minutes from me with stocked fish – yesterday I netted a 6 lb rainbow (guesstimate: around 15” girth, 22” length, glad I had on 5X tippet in the heavy crystal clear water), and also has wild browns and brookies - small fish. But the brookies have been disappearing over the past decade. Yesterday I fished a section of this stream I never fished. Beautiful cascading deep pools filled with boulders and fallen trees. I caught a couple 2 pounders, but mostly fish in the 10 to 14” range. There are also a few ‘secret’ streams around the area to hunt for wild fish.
    I am 15 minutes from Tulpelhocken Creek, 30 minutes to the Little Schuylkill and Little Lehigh. And there are many other streams stocked with trout in all directions near and far.
    The main Schuylkill River is a few minutes away with stellar smallmouth fishing, catfish and musky, and carp.
    Streams/rivers near Harrisburg are just over an hour drive – Yellow Breeches, Little J. The “Poconos” is about a 2 hour drive with many trout streams. Spring Creek and areas near that are a few hour drive, not just a quick decision to go there.
    There is Marsh Creek Reservoir just over ½ hour drive that has been groomed to be a musky lake. And lots of farm ponds everywhere that can be fished for panfish on a whim.

I'd say that I could go fishing in different waters every day for quite a spell if I wanted to use the gas to get there - all within about an hour.

6. Likes ejsell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by lbrain View Post
    I never realized how close I live to good fishing until this past winter as I started looking into it. For starters, there is a Class A stream less than 2 minutes from me with stocked fish – yesterday I netted a 6 lb rainbow (guesstimate: around 15” girth, 22” length, glad I had on 5X tippet in the heavy crystal clear water), and also has wild browns and brookies - small fish. But the brookies have been disappearing over the past decade. Yesterday I fished a section of this stream I never fished. Beautiful cascading deep pools filled with boulders and fallen trees. I caught a couple 2 pounders, but mostly fish in the 10 to 14” range. There are also a few ‘secret’ streams around the area to hunt for wild fish.
    I am 15 minutes from Tulpelhocken Creek, 30 minutes to the Little Schuylkill and Little Lehigh. And there are many other streams stocked with trout in all directions near and far.
    The main Schuylkill River is a few minutes away with stellar smallmouth fishing, catfish and musky, and carp.
    Streams/rivers near Harrisburg are just over an hour drive – Yellow Breeches, Little J. The “Poconos” is about a 2 hour drive with many trout streams. Spring Creek and areas near that are a few hour drive, not just a quick decision to go there.
    There is Marsh Creek Reservoir just over ½ hour drive that has been groomed to be a musky lake. And lots of farm ponds everywhere that can be fished for panfish on a whim.

I'd say that I could go fishing in different waters every day for quite a spell if I wanted to use the gas to get there - all within about an hour.
    Hope you have an extra room.How Close to Home is "Good" Fishing?

I still have about 12 more years before I can retire but ive already started thinking about where I'd like to end up. This thread is adding to my list.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. Default Re: How Close to Home is "Good" Fishing?

I live in Vermont and there are lots of good places to fish, including small streams, rivers, lakes and ponds, and of course Lake Champlain.

Here is a really beautiful place that rewards a bit of effort getting there:

Hike to Vermont's Highest-Elevation Trout Pond - OnTheSnow

I have never been in a fishing contest but I am thinking about signing up for this one:

Ditch Pickle Classic Fly Fishing Tournament

But I grew up in RI and I do miss the ocean...

I moved to Montana 18 years ago to fish. When I was in Missoula I was pretty close to good fishing and 30-40 minutes in any direction from really good fishing.

Four years ago when my wife wanted to move out of town, the location of the house we bought played a big role for me. I'm about 2.3 miles from the Bitterroot River, I can be fishing pretty quickly if I need to. I know that I'm very lucky and I try not to take it for granted.

10. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Larry, we've driven by the Hoback coming and going, and it looks like a beautiful stream. Is there any worthwhile wade fishing near where 191 crosses over?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345