Underwater Cameras

FISHN50

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Digital Waterproof Camera in the $200 price range.
Mainly I'll be just using it as a snapshot camera & when I go fishing it'll be in my vest. I like the idea of being able to hold it underwater to take a picture of fish before I release them. I've submerged 2 cameras in the past & ruined them. I just watched a buddy drop a $350, camera in the water so I think my next one will be waterproof so I can relax a little when I'm carrying it in the water. Who knows maybe I can get it on my Christmas list in time.

Thanks & Merry Christmas & Happy New Year To All of You

Neil

Fish Bones

Reaction score
I use the Pentax Optio Waterproof Digital Camera...

It is very compact and easily fits into my vest pocket or chest pack. Its waterproof to 10 feet and takes excellent pics above and under water. It almost made the 2007 NAFFF Top Ten Christmas Gift List.

Take a look at Pentax Waterproof Camera

Roughrider

Reaction score
It did not make the top 10 list? I demand a recount!!:icon_wink I love my Optio, it is WP10 I believe, still have not sunk it yet, but it takes great pics and really nice macro shots as well.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Outside Magazine did a little feature on the 790 SW here recently. Its a little cheaper and seems to be quite popular amongst us outdoorsy types. The Cnet review says the image quality isn't quite top-notch, but they also said that about one I just bought my wife and it seems to be fine to me.

My mom is still getting good use from an Olympus Stylus that's gotta be 15 years old by now, and has taken LOTS of shots.

Jackster

Reaction score
I just bought my wife one for Christmas (as if SHE'S gonna be the one getting it wet!):tongue:
I've used and really liked the old Pentax WR-33 I've had for years, and would have got her one of the newer models in a heartbeat but they're rare at big box stores.
The biggest downside I can see to the Olympus is the poor macro capability when compared to the Pentax units. A good macro makes it nice to capture pictures of flies, alive or man-made!

Joni

Reaction score
Popular topic, or the same person asking the same question on another forum LOL.
I had the Pentax Si which was not waterproof, but very small and took GREAT macro pictures. I also bought the 43wr which had a lot of the same features and the same price tag. However, the minute they make them waterproof, you give up some of the really neat features. At least in the same price range. The Si was twice the camera the 43 wr is. I say was, cause it did go swimming and is no longer with us.
I got the Olympus Stylus 730 which is the pre new waterproof model. It was under $200. and has 7.1 Megapixel, 3X zoom, 3.0" LCD, weather resistant and Image Stabilizing.
Very kewl camera for the price plus a few phot editing features in the camera.
The only down side I see is there is NO view finder (hich I notice a lot of cameras are going that way). I will have to wait for a bright sunny day to see if I can see the screen.
I still have the 43wr for those under water shots but I very seldom use that feature. Most the stillwaters I fish are full of food and you would see anything but green puffs. The rivers, I would have to have a fish on to get a picture and I am a little busy at that point LOL
Here is one of the in camera editing effects.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Re: Underwater Cameras v. Cellphone

As a radical thought, has anyone considered a small cellphone with photo capabilities in lieu of a camera? These cameras are expensive enough, and cellphones can be bought in a lower price range with some minimal camera features (not, perhaps, as good as pure digital cameras, but for taking a picture of a trout, probably good enough). Of course, the cellphone would not be waterproof as is the digital cameras we are talking about, but could be stored in a waterproof pocket - and they can be pretty small.

Joni

Reaction score

As a radical thought, has anyone considered a small cellphone with photo capabilities in lieu of a camera? These cameras are expensive enough, and cellphones can be bought in a lower price range with some minimal camera features (not, perhaps, as good as pure digital cameras, but for taking a picture of a trout, probably good enough). Of course, the cellphone would not be waterproof as is the digital cameras we are talking about, but could be stored in a waterproof pocket - and they can be pretty small.
But don't you have to have special phone features to down load them to a computer or pay extra for it?
Plus I have the Razor and PICTURES are OKAY at best.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Alot of the new cell phones out have 3.2 mgapixel cameras built in. I'm not saying that's become the standard, but there are quite a few out there equipped with them.

I think a camera phone can be set up to where the pictures are saved onto a supplemental memory card that can be removed from the phone and placed in a PC/printer. Most phones are now using MicroSD cards which can easily do this with the adapter they are generally sold with.

On the memory card note, I picked up a 2GB SD card at circuit city for $15 the other day, seemed to be widely available for the holidays at their stores. Its amazing how much cheaper those have gotten in recent years.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score

But don't you have to have special phone features to down load them to a computer or pay extra for it?
Plus I have the Razor and PICTURES are OKAY at best.
You can get a USB cord with software for a few bucks at a cellphone accessory shop to allow transfer directly to a PC, which is a lot cheaper than sending them via the phone. That's what I did with my RAZR. And you're right, at (I believe) only 1 Megapixel, the RAZR's pictures aren't great, but just adequate with offputting coloration. But since my RAZR is really too large to easily store in my waterproof dual zipper plastic tethered pocket anyway (comes with Magellan fishing pants), I was thinking of getting a smaller footprint cellphone with more Megapixels.

Joni

Reaction score

You can get a USB cord with software for a few bucks at a cellphone accessory shop to allow transfer directly to a PC, which is a lot cheaper than sending them via the phone. That's what I did with my RAZR. And you're right, at (I believe) only 1 Megapixel, the RAZR's pictures aren't great, but just adequate with offputting coloration. But since my RAZR is really too large to easily store in my waterproof dual zipper plastic tethered pocket anyway (comes with Magellan fishing pants), I was thinking of getting a smaller footprint cellphone with more Megapixels.

Thanks on the Razr info. Like I said I got the STYLUS from Olympus and I really like the picture quality. It is a hair widerand thicker than the Razr, but it fits perfect in:

FISHN50

Reaction score
I have used my phone camera on the stream but won't take it again for 2 reasons. # 1 is when I go Fishing I leave the phone in the car so I can fish without the damm thing ringing. There's nothing more frustrating than getting a call in the middle of a hatch or when you have a fish on. # 2 is I like to take pictures of the surrounding areas & wildlife. & as good as the camera phones are they aren't up to the level I want yet. You guys are helping me narrow my choice down. I figure I can use the wife's camera for the holidays & get a waterproof one before the weather warms up.

Joni

Reaction score
Not trying to sound pittifull or anything, I left my phone in the Truck while in Idaho in Sept. Didn't have great coverage anyway and like you said, I was there to fish.
Got back to the truck after a couple of hours and had a few messages. Didn't think much of it, but, then we had coverage and got another call. It was my Dad saying my Mother passed away in her sleep. I talked to her the day before and she seemed fine. Since then I don't leave my phone for nothing although I might hesitate before answering. Never know.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Olympus Stylus SW 7?? which is waterproof. It is the older version than the one that is currently out there now. It is waterproof and does take good pictures underwater in the pool. I've also taken a few of some fish as well. Plus it's shockproof up to 5 feet and the newer one is suppose to be 10ft.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Joni

Reaction score
Olympus Stylus SW 7?? which is waterproof. It is the older version than the one that is currently out there now. It is waterproof and does take good pictures underwater in the pool. I've also taken a few of some fish as well. Plus it's shockproof up to 5 feet and the newer one is suppose to be 10ft.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Mine is the Stylus 730 which is the proto type to the new one, but mine is not waterproof and the book makes a point to let you know that. It is weather proof, which means splashes of moisture.
Like I said, I still have my Pentax 43wr if I want to go under water.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
. . . when I go Fishing I leave the phone in the car so I can fish without the damm thing ringing. There's nothing more frustrating than getting a call in the middle of a hatch or when you have a fish on.
I just turn the ringer & vibrator off . . . don't want a call then, but want it on for a quick picture. Now, if only I could locate one that was waterproof, cause otherwise I'm likely to spring for one of those Pentax or Olympus waterproof super-small cameras.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Mine is the Stylus 730 which is the proto type to the new one, but mine is not waterproof and the book makes a point to let you know that. It is weather proof, which means splashes of moisture.
Like I said, I still have my Pentax 43wr if I want to go under water.
I think the Olympus Stylus 720 and 770 are both waterproof as well as shockproof. These similar model names/numbers drive me nuts.