Best starter rod outfit

Which starter outfit would you choose on a budget?

• Orvis Streamline Outfit

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Temple Fork Outfitters NXT Outfit

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Redington Pursuit Outfit

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other, Please Specify in Thread

Votes: 27 34.6%

• Total voters

rohnan

Reaction score
If you were starting from scratch and looking for an outfit on a budget which would it be?
Feel free to write in something not on the list if you feel it is a better on a budget. Price point goal is no more than $300 FYI....

hal_sch

Reaction score
I was happy with the Three Forks combo from Cabelas. However I really do like the Wind River rod I bought from them so perhaps the Wind River combo would be better. I don't know anything about the reel that comes with it so I can not say for certain.

fishingfly

Reaction score
It kind of depends on the wieght of the rod for me as I like different actions for different sizes. That being said I have been very impressed by the NXT casting. Even though I have always liked Orvis products the Streamline has no warranty which is pretty scary. NXT is my choice because I trust TFO to make a reliable rod at a good price.

rohnan

Reaction score
TFO was the direction I was heading but then I started reading reviews saying the line that comes with it is terrible.... $50 for new line on an outfit that I bought to keep costs down seems counter productive. This is just what I have read and may hold no bearings to the facts. I do hear the rod itself is a great value.

fishindave

Reaction score
$120 TFO lefty Krey Proffesional 5 wt

$90 Allen reel

$45 Sage Quiet 5 wt DT

$255+ maybe some shipping cost and backing of $35=

$290= Nice rig

:shades:

Last edited:

rohnan

Reaction score
Thanks FishinDave looks like a solid set up I will definitely put it into consideration. Just a bit worried about 5wt holding up on the lakes and ponds, guess I should have mentioned I tend to go after bass and northern. Although I would like to start checking out the driftless trout fishing in SE MN. Problem I have is 90% of my fishing is before/after work for a few hours since the wife gets bent out of shape about my fishing addiction.

fishindave

Reaction score
Thanks FishinDave looks like a solid set up I will definitely put it into consideration. Just a bit worried about 5wt holding up on the lakes and ponds, guess I should have mentioned I tend to go after bass and northern. Although I would like to start checking out the driftless trout fishing in SE MN. Problem I have is 90% of my fishing is before/after work for a few hours since the wife gets bent out of shape about my fishing addiction.
You can bump the rod up to a 6-7 pretty easily, as you wont be needing a reel much backing capacity. W/ a DT 6wt you can probably get 100yds of #20 spectra backing on the allen 2 fly reel.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Every thing you need for around 100 bucks
I tried one earlier this season and anyone looking for a price conscious starter kit would not be disappointed

rohnan

Reaction score
Thanks Rip Tide for the suggestion keep them coming guys this is certainly helpful to me and I am sure people new to the sport will be eye balling this poll in the future.

bocamike

Reaction score
Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl,
I went a different way (than "pre-packaged outfits"). Personally, I like building my own stuff, including fly rods. On the web I have procured "rod kits" in a price range from $50 to $250 (the most expensive being SAGE blanks which comprise their retail equivalent in the $750 price range). All these rod kits are replete with all needed hardware, blanks, reel seat, cork handle, eyes, etc. All you need is a good work space, some thread, some epoxy, and a cheapie rod-turning machine.

One piece of advice I can give (having learned the hard way), is that I bought two reels at "closeout, bargain basement prices", and afterwards wished I had done a little research to learn if those models accommodated a spare spool, and if so, were there any spare spools available on the market. Unfortunately, I am stuck with very nice SAGE reels which were priced right (less than $40), but I have no ability to swap spools to gain certain advantage of quick setup changes.

Oh by the way, my first rod kit, including reel and those bare minimum kit building tools, plus an average quality fly line with backing came in just at or near $200. Since then, I have built three additional rods, but obviously the prices have grown along with my ego and desire to strive for better quality along the way.............. The above-mentioned SAGE rod is an 8wt on which I attached a SAGE Carbon Fiber reel with an extra spool so I can fish with a floating line or quickly switch to a sinker........... Oh yes, I have a wife too who would simply have a hissy fit if she knew how far this hobby has dipped into the piggy bank. But, I'm hoping that when that argument does arrive, at least I can mimic her old alibi about how much she saved when she shopped at the mall when all the sales were on.

Last edited:

nickel

Reaction score
I will recommend Redington. You have a few different price points to choose from and still be under $300.00.

Classic trout outfit $289.00 great reviews on this medium/moderate action rod and I believe you get a drift reel which is stellar/eye stealer.
Redington voyant outfit $299.95
Redington pursuit outfit $179.00
A few years ago I purchased an RS4 outfit 5wt for a boat rod and backup outfit and fell in love with how smooth and transitional the rod was and cast. The Rise reel is also a very good reel with a solid and sensitive drag system. I had a good experience with their warranty department as well. I had slipped on a rock midstream falling and landed on my reel which resulted in shearing off the machined bolts that hold the reel foot to the reel. Sent it in with explanation of what happened and received a brand new reel no questions asked! Also.. I heard Sage bought Redingon they must be doing something right!

Reactions: DGS

rohnan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info I found a nice deal on a Cabelas 8wt, since I will mostly be targeting LM Bass,pike,and hopefully muskie. I picked up the RLS outfit for $149.99, considering suggested retail for the RLS reel alone is about $130 when you add backing,wf 8wt line, tippet, leader, rod and a nice case it just seemed like a great value. Hopefully I didn't make a terrible decision here.... Thanks for all the input I have learned alot and hopefully a few other new policy to fly fishing will benefit as well from this poll. Btw casting is way harder. Than it looks this is definitely. Going to take time before I put a hook on my line,I would have hooked my neck, back of head, arm pole, hat, just about everything on me yesterday....... Kind of scary!:eek:

fishingfly

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info I found a nice deal on a Cabelas 8wt, since I will mostly be targeting LM Bass,pike,and hopefully muskie. I picked up the RLS outfit for $149.99, considering suggested retail for the RLS reel alone is about $130 when you add backing,wf 8wt line, tippet, leader, rod and a nice case it just seemed like a great value. Hopefully I didn't make a terrible decision here.... Thanks for all the input I have learned alot and hopefully a few other new policy to fly fishing will benefit as well from this poll. Btw casting is way harder. Than it looks this is definitely. Going to take time before I put a hook on my line,I would have hooked my neck, back of head, arm pole, hat, just about everything on me yesterday....... Kind of scary!:eek:
You are not alone. Casting is definetely harder than it looks, but once you got it it becomes habit. And I've heard good things about the cabela outfits, especially for a starter rod. Once you get your cast down you will start realizing what you need to make it better for your conditions.

babalu

Reaction score
Btw casting is way harder. Than it looks this is definitely. Going to take time before I put a hook on my line,I would have hooked my neck, back of head, arm pole, hat, just about everything on me yesterday....... Kind of scary!:eek:[/QUOTE]

I had a different problem. not getting enough distance on my casts. but how much of that has to do with my broken hand I'm not sure. But I made them gimme something I could get wet so game on. I don't have much for flies, but if you wanna go fishing in the next couple days- week let me know.

theflashingthunder

Reaction score
I was out of town & had no gear bought a 8ft 5wt $10 Pflueger Purist rod on Craigslist, love it! I've caught more fish on this rod than my Scott & St.Croix! I picked up a Medalist 1492 reel & it works perfect. Save the $, and buy a nice vice & fly tying materials. Having the right flies are half the battle!

steelheadbum

Reaction score
Redington makes great trout rods, 3wt-6wt are all great rods not to mention the warranty has never let me down. The 7wt+ are meat sticks but for the price I keep them in the boat for friends & clients.
Buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

itchmesir

Reaction score
Redington CT 8'6 5wt + Redington Drift + Backing ± Rio Gold... Pretty much the best combo you could build for under $300... If you'd prefer disc drag over the click n pawl Drift... I'd check out the Sage 1800 series... They're being discontinued and a dang good deal at $75.00