Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19

Poll: Which starter outfit would you choose on a budget?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Best starter rod outfit

I would recommend a New Fenwick Aetos in a 9'5 wt Just a great rod for less than $189 as far as a reel and flyline I could recommend a 5 weight S/A Frequency Boost line and just get a reel that fits your needs and something you like the feel and looks of.. As stated by many it will just be holding your flyline and drag system can be light to medium... Mike

Orvis........

As a newbie to fly fishing, of course I read this thread with much interest and am very surprised Orvis is not mentioned. Does anyone have an opinion about why Orvis is not recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by rohnan View Post
    If you were starting from scratch and looking for an outfit on a budget which would it be?

Feel free to write in something not on the list if you feel it is a better on a budget. Price point goal is no more than $300 FYI....
    Rather than a best fishing rod recommendation from users who have their own rod bias based on their personal preferences, what is more important for a beginner is the best rod action and rod length in general for learning both to fly cast and to fly fish. The reason is that what the beginner needs is a rod which is the easiest rod with which to learn how to cast and fish for MOST users.

Unfortunately, there are contrary theories on what rod action is best for the beginners.

Jerry Seim, the Sage rod designer, believes that fast action rods are the best rods for teaching casting. He writes:

“We’re building long, tapered springs here,” he said. “Most people around the world are better casters. When it comes to improving somebody with marginal casting skills, that person is better off with a fast action that loads and unloads quickly. This theory permeates across the entire rod system.”

Siem continues to mentally photograph the general public’s casting weaknesses.

A new angler hasn’t developed a good, consistent casting stroke,” he said. “This is on display everywhere because the majority of modern strike indicator and beadhead nymph fishing doesn’t produce any casting skill. All people do is give their rods a little punch. Thus they can honestly say, ‘I caught 12 fish today,’ but they’re really only backing into fly-fishing.”

Siem’s shadow casts tune Sage’s rod lines | Sports Extras | jhnewsandguide.com

The opposite view is that everything happens faster with a fast action fly rod and the rod stroke for 30 foot casts is so short that a beginner cannot feel the rod bend. This is why for the shorter casts in the fly rod accuracy competitions, the class competitors do not use fast action fly rods. Things happen so fast that even the experts have trouble "feeling" a fast action rod.

See this post:

How many rods does one really need to cast?

Kirt Deeter believes that slower action rods are best for beginners.

”I've often thought that fast rods, while wonderful in many ways (and I prefer them myself now) can be a crutch that covers up casting flaws. In my opinion, it's important to develop a feel for the cast, and instill a natural sense of timing and tempo, especially with younger anglers. You can build up to fast rods once you have that feel. Slower is better for starters. I often dedicate days on the water to fishing with slower, softer rods, just to polish my own casting during the season. “

Consent Form | Field & Stream

Then you have this opinion by Backcountry Chronicles.

” Simply stated, a fast action rod is stiffer than a slow action. A fast rod bends only about a third of the way to the tip, while a slow rod will bend almost all the way to the butt. An intermediate speed rod should bend about halfway. So, how does this affect casting or playing fish?

A rod that generates fast line speeds requires good timing to cast properly, which means fast action rods are difficult for beginners to use, because everything happens fast.

…. if line speeds are slower, the timing is more forgiving, which means medium action rods are easier for beginners to use.

Slow or Classic action rods are not powerful at all and they load and unload slowly. They are good for delicate casts because they generate slow lines speeds. This makes them very forgiving and are easiest for beginners to use because it is easier to time the cast and to control the line.

Best Fly Rod for Beginners - Fly Rod Action Explained

So what is one to do? We have conflicting views. No wonder beginners are confused. Even worse is when I see a new fly fisher show up in a beginners class with w 7.5 foot 3 wt fly rod that was sold to them by a fly shop. This has happened to me in my beginning fly fishing/casting class last year. There should be a special place in H*LL for that salesperson.

I agree with Jerry Seim that softer slower action fly rods require longer stroke lengths and smoother power application since an irregular acceleration, either too much or too little, causes a relatively greater deviation from the SLP (Straight Line Path) in a slower rod than a faster action rod. So fast action rods DO cover up casting flaws.

I also agree with Kris Korich that very fast action rods are difficult to feel on the shorter casts.

I also believe that it best to actually learn on the rod you will be fishing with most of the time. even though that rod may be more difficult to cast well at first.

I also believe that a fly caster must eventually learn to cast with all types of rod actions. But a beginner must choose a rod action to start this process.

So although Jerry Seim suggests a fast rod rod for teaching and Backcounty suggest a slow rod, I suggest moderately fast rods for beginners. These rods bend enough so the beginner can feel the rod load and yet stiff enough to minimize rod tip deviation. An alternative is a medium action fly rod, but my belief is that a medium action is less effective at indicator nymphing than a medium fast action rod.

As to rod length, it could be an 8.5 - 9 feet long with the length depending on where the user will most often fish.

I mostly agree with Bruce Richards.

”As you have probably guessed, a rod with an action somewhere between very slow and very fast is right for most anglers in most applications. Fortunately, most of the popular rods made today fall into this ‘medium action’ category. They are stiff enough to cast non-tailing loops when cast reasonably well at normal fishing distances. They are soft enough to load well at the same distances, while giving the angler good ‘feel’ of the line. While maybe not the ultimate short distance ‘spring creek’ rod, or long distance cannon, medium action rods handle most day to day fishing casts with ease, without major casting stroke adjustments.”

https://flyfishersinternational.org/...0Richards.pdf?
    Last edited by silver creek; 03-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

5. Thanks leftytyro thanked for this post
    Likes gillage, City Rat liked this post

I A budget combo from Yellowstone angler.
    Fenwick Aetos 9’5wt
    Battenkill Disk 3 reel
    SA wf5 MPX line
    Backing and leader
    $421.80
    Just the rod and reel are $359.95
    Bring that down to “price point” with a click drag Battenkill

Quote Originally Posted by jc10 View Post
    As a newbie to fly fishing, of course I read this thread with much interest and am very surprised Orvis is not mentioned. Does anyone have an opinion about why Orvis is not recommended?
    I can only rationalize. That particular combo has better competition. I can say I’m impressed with the Orvis Clearwater in 9’5wt. Very nice rod. Personally, I’d rather have a little more backbone to the rod to cast further. Otherwise it’s real nice for not reaching out there distance. Also the Orvis Recon is a nicer rod than what I got. Performance about the same. But it’s much more money.
    The Battenkill reel is a tried and true Orvis classic. Very inexpensive too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishindave View Post
    $120 TFO lefty Krey Proffesional 5 wt

$90 Allen reel

$45 Sage Quiet 5 wt DT

$255+ maybe some shipping cost and backing of $35=

$290= Nice rig

TFO also comes with a great warranty. Warranty Information - Temple Fork Outfitters

Denny

I've fished all my life (spin cast), but decided to take up fly fishing this year, so I put a lot of time into researching various packages online, and read countless reviews. For my target price point (under $200) most of the reviews picked the Wild Water 9 foot 5/6 package. A complete starter package came in at $140; pricing the components individually would run close to $350 (prices in CAD). It includes rod and reel, backing, fly line 2 5x leaders, forceps, snipper, two clip on tethers and 18 flies. The rod also comes with a lifetime warranty.

But price isn't the key, the performance is. It is a slow action rod, which provides a forgiving learning curve for casting, and it was quite easy to pick up. I can cast between 50 - 60 feet without a haul, although most times I don't have to, I usually only have to cast about 40 feet in most of the smaller rivers. This being said, distance means little if you're landing a fly like Sully on the Hudson, but on my second time out, I caught 15 Brook trout in the Credit River, on nothing but dry flies. They were small (7 - 9 inches, let them all go of course) but the presentation must have been okay to have that kind of success.

So there's my reasoning; price was great, and it got me up to speed pretty quickly, so I have nothing but high marks for the package.

I'm bitten by this sport now (and a few dozen flies on the Boyne River) so there is no way I'll go back to a spin cast. Next rod/reel will probably be an Orvis or Sage, from what I've read about them I can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jc10 View Post
    I live in Vermont and support Vermont businesses, so by all means you should buy Orvis products. All kidding aside, they do make good equipment, but funny thing, I don't own any Orvis rods or reels; I don't know why, it just worked out that way. But Orvis owns Scientific Anglers and Ross reels, and I have some of each so I am covered. I also have a great book by Tom Rosenbauer (I love his stuff, I totally enjoy his videos on the Orvis site) and he is an Orvis guy. So now I am wondering, why don't I have an Orvis rod or reel? I really don't know. I will put that on my "next purchase" list (and I can just drive down to the flagship factory store).

By the way, where in RI are you? I grew up in Cranston, and went to school in Providence (La Salle and Brown). My extended family (me and my wife and kids, siblings and their families, etc) spend a week every summer down in Narragansett. I love Vermont but I do miss the ocean; Lake Champlain is nice but it just isn't the same.

I think an Orvis Clearwater outfit would make a fantastic starter rod and beyond. Pay a little more and get much higher quality and function. IMHO
    "On the water...the perfect cast...a beautiful fish...fooled at last!"
    O J Chartrand Jr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234