Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Which starter outfit would you choose on a budget?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Orvis Streamline Outfit

7 12.50%
  • Temple Fork Outfitters NXT Outfit

13 23.21%
  • Redington Pursuit Outfit

17 30.36%
  • Other, Please Specify in Thread

19 33.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Best starter rod outfit

If you were starting from scratch and looking for an outfit on a budget which would it be?
    Feel free to write in something not on the list if you feel it is a better on a budget. Price point goal is no more than $300 FYI....

Default Re: Best starter rod outfit

I was happy with the Three Forks combo from Cabelas. However I really do like the Wind River rod I bought from them so perhaps the Wind River combo would be better. I don't know anything about the reel that comes with it so I can not say for certain.

3. Likes rohnan liked this post
  4. Default Re: Best starter rod outfit

It kind of depends on the wieght of the rod for me as I like different actions for different sizes. That being said I have been very impressed by the NXT casting. Even though I have always liked Orvis products the Streamline has no warranty which is pretty scary. NXT is my choice because I trust TFO to make a reliable rod at a good price.
    Corbin Hart
    Auburn University Fly Fishing Club
    War Eagle/Tight Lines

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!

5. Likes rohnan liked this post
  6. Default Re: Best starter rod outfit

TFO was the direction I was heading but then I started reading reviews saying the line that comes with it is terrible.... $50 for new line on an outfit that I bought to keep costs down seems counter productive. This is just what I have read and may hold no bearings to the facts. I do hear the rod itself is a great value.

$120 TFO lefty Krey Proffesional 5 wt

$90 Allen reel

$45 Sage Quiet 5 wt DT

$255+ maybe some shipping cost and backing of $35=

$290= Nice rig

Last edited by fishindave; 06-21-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Bad math.... LOL
    Fishing the world....1 Flat at a time.....

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
    "All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields

8. Likes rohnan, mi_trouter, N/A liked this post
  9. Default Re: Best starter rod outfit

Thanks FishinDave looks like a solid set up I will definitely put it into consideration. Just a bit worried about 5wt holding up on the lakes and ponds, guess I should have mentioned I tend to go after bass and northern. Although I would like to start checking out the driftless trout fishing in SE MN. Problem I have is 90% of my fishing is before/after work for a few hours since the wife gets bent out of shape about my fishing addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by rohnan View Post
    Thanks FishinDave looks like a solid set up I will definitely put it into consideration. Just a bit worried about 5wt holding up on the lakes and ponds, guess I should have mentioned I tend to go after bass and northern. Although I would like to start checking out the driftless trout fishing in SE MN. Problem I have is 90% of my fishing is before/after work for a few hours since the wife gets bent out of shape about my fishing addiction.
    You can bump the rod up to a 6-7 pretty easily, as you wont be needing a reel much backing capacity. W/ a DT 6wt you can probably get 100yds of #20 spectra backing on the allen 2 fly reel.
    Fishing the world....1 Flat at a time.....

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
    "All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields

11. Likes rohnan liked this post
    Blog Entries

The Ross kits are great. But I think setting up a combo from Allen would be better.
    "To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
    ~ Herbert Hoover

13. Likes rohnan liked this post

Every thing you need for around 100 bucks
    I tried one earlier this season and anyone looking for a price conscious starter kit would not be disappointed

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

15. Likes rohnan liked this post
  16. Default Re: Best starter rod outfit

Thanks Rip Tide for the suggestion keep them coming guys this is certainly helpful to me and I am sure people new to the sport will be eye balling this poll in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast