Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: To prune, or not to prune?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 15.71%
  • No

26 37.14%
  • Situational

33 47.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: An Ethics Question

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    This gets my vote for "Post of the Day."

Thankyou, sir, you are too kind.

Just one of those things were instantly you think of a similar situation you were in and how it relates.

x2 with Ard.
    Chances are the snags are gonna get blown out with the next heavy so I don't see any issues with movin some temporary underwater cover.
    As far as trails, if I can't move under or around it, then I'll walk up the river. no big deal even if I put off a few fish...after all, isn't being out fishing enough?

Situational for me.
    Anything near the hole I leave. A yellow birch just above my favorite hole has many of my flies in it. I have figured out how to flick the fly off the birch leaves (sometimes) just by using the weight of the line and a gently timed pull. There would be hundreds in the tree if every one got caught.

Away from the hole I may snip a few alders here and there overhead if it frees up my role cast. I usually leave in stream habitat the way it is.

I just don't prune trees for the sake of it,at times I prune Trees & especially Blackberriy Bushes,the reasons for pruning,most of which have been posted:

To retrieve my Fly especially one I've been catching Fish with,another & the main reason is to clear tracks where I walk for safety whilst walking at night as we all will notice every year certain trees have new branches about eye height,especially springy ones which can give a bad hit if following close behind someone.
    Also if I'm on a stream sometimes I might have to remove a branch or two for access.
    Brian

I will not snap off a twig to improve my cast, but will take out a limb to get my fly back.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

6. Likes caseywise, dean_mt liked this post
    Blog Entries

I am far too lazy to be doing yard work while I fish.

Situational, like others.

Something more to add to the discussion. If I was fishing a high traffic area that showed signs of wear and tear from human activity, I am not going to touch anything. Many of the streams and rivers and ponds in my area can be thick and overgrown.
    Many stream enhancement efforts in the area remove considerable over growth to improve circulation and water flow. I always carry a sharp fixed blade knife so I can make a clean cut. I don't like the snapped off look that tears the bark and hurts the tree branches, and leaves unsightly visual pollution. Plus I'm not cutting limbs every time I go out. I may have cut a few twigs over the whole season.

I'm sure many spots in the U.S. can be fished pretty hard. For every 1 Canadian fisherman there are 10 American fishermen. This changes the equation and protocols. Heavy use areas require a more no trace approach.
    Here where I am the Morell River is the hardest fished river. I don't even bother to fish it much, just because there are so many fishing it. Plus I can do without the sometimes crusty die hard guys who can get pretty grumpy about "their" spots. I would rather go some place else and have it all to myself , not because I am selfish, but because there are enough good spots or so few fishermen here. I rarely see anyone when I fish.

I've removed a branch or two over the course of a season if it affects a casting lane on a little pressured stream. On such stream found me hitting the same small limb (isn't that always the case - that one pesky small limb grabs my fly EVERY TIME!) I'll never move an instream log/branch to improve my drift, presentation, ability to get to where the fish are unless I have a fly attached to said stick and I need to (and can easily) move it to get my fly. I couldn't imagine sawing clear instream structure.

Cheers,
    Mike.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

A change in thought here vis a vis limited back casting room. Repeating myself, but learn several 'spey casts' for those tight situations. A one hander doesn't know it's not a 2hander ........

Actually it's really quite easy to do with a 9' (or longer) rod. Say that only because I've yet to try same with anything shorter.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I said no because where I've been fishing lately is private land but most folks allow access. If I were to go in and prune away troublesome branches I could ruin it for alot of other people. Like Ard had said there are just some spots you leave alone no matter how fishey they are. I fished a section of creek that was lined with dead willows, some spots were easy to put a bug under, some impossible and wouldn't you know the hardest spots had the most fish rising. Not every fish needs to be caught not every spot needs to be fished. If you get to oe of those tough holes just hang out and watch it, its just as cool to see fish doing their thing as it is to catch them.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast