Simms Waders

troutnut4

Reaction score
I am new to the sport and am contemplating the purchase of a pair of waders and boots. I would appreciate any advice that one can offer on the Simms products and in particular the mid priced "Headwaters" line.Is the G3 Guide model a much better buy?:confused:

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I can't speak for whether the G3s are a better buy, however, I have had the Headwaters for the past two years and I can say that they are a very good pair of waders.

They are very breathable, and pretty darn abrasion/puncture resistant. So if you're going to be stomping through heavy brush, these waders will be more than adequate. If you're going to be sitting in a tube or a boat, I'd suggest spending a little less for more comfortable waders. In my situation, I spend more time in my tube than stomping through brush, so I have a set of LL Bean Emergers for the tube, and use the Simms for bushwhacking.

A couple of items: they are cut pretty close, so they are not baggy, like many other waders. If you plan on layering, you may only get a couple layers under these things. Also, they are pretty stiff out of the box at the knees, so you might need to break them in before embarking on that three mile hike upstream.

littledavid123

Reaction score
If you do a lot of bushwacking (especially the thorny variety) I would opt for the Guide 3 series, I have a pair and really enjoy them. Also Simms is very good about standing behind their products.

Dave

1move

Reaction score
Can’t comment on those particular waders however I have the G4's and not only are they warmer and thicker in colder weather but they are bomb proof in my opinion. The seams are in a great position so they do not wear out and bushwhacking won’t do any damage to these. If you are up there in cost and want these to be your waders for a long time, save and spend the extra money because they are worth it and will last you at least five years. I have had mine for a year now with about 30 full day fishing trips and they barely look like they have been worn.

littledavid123

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the only significant difference between the G3 and G4 waders is the last layer of Gortex stops at the knees on the G3 but continues up to the waist on the G4. Please correct if mistaken.

Dave

1move

Reaction score
Both the G4 and G3 have five layer Gortex but on the G3 it only goes up to above the knee. On the G4 is goes up to the waist, I sit down on rocks, trees, dirt, whatever happens to be on the streamside when I get tired. The G4's Also have zippered pockets for hands and a few other minute features I cant think of right now. For a $100 difference I spent the extra cash as it was worth it for me in the end.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Both the G4 and G3 have five layer Gortex but on the G3 it only goes up to above the knee. On the G4 is goes up to the waist, I sit down on rocks, trees, dirt, whatever happens to be on the streamside when I get tired. The G4's Also have zippered pockets for hands and a few other minute features I cant think of right now. For a $100 difference I spent the extra cash as it was worth it for me in the end.
Fascinating read; never heard that before. Considering what the Simm's cost that's an eye opener. I use Dan Bailey's and have yet to have a complaint. Back up, did have one set of chesties that was "Bad to the Bone" right out of the box.

Immediately replaced and I'm still using them 6 or 7 years later.

coug

Reaction score
I have had G3's for several years and really like them. Started getting a leak last year in the foot so found some G4's on sale and figured I would use them for steelhead and keep the old G3's as backup. Can't say enough about their customer service, they turned the G3's around in a few weeks for free, and they were pretty beat up. 1move hit the difference between the G3 and G4 on the head, although I may not have paid the extra $$ for the G4. I like both and Simms would be my first choice if I had to buy right now. That being said, Dan Bailey's also seem to be the first choice of many. There have been many threads on waders and it seems you cannot go wrong with any of the top brands.

chased

Reaction score
I really love my G4 waders (non zip front). I opted to get them over the G3 waders simply because the 5 layer goretex goes up to the waist, the waterproof hand warmer pocket is also nice to put extra stuff or electronics in. I bushwhack on a lot of small streams where you have to cross barbwire and slide down steep banks to get into the water. They don't leak yet, and I don't anticipate they will any time soon, even though some might see sliding down banks as "abuse" on waders. It is a little more comforting in my mind knowing that these are a little tougher than the G3's in the legs, crotch, and butt area. What ever pair of waders you get from Simms, I highly doubt that you will be disappointed. Just be sure to layer up during the winter and you will be nice and toasty!

-Chase

troutnut4

Reaction score
Thanks very much. Great advice from all. I'll keep all of the points in mind on my next trip to the local tackle shop.

jaybo41

Reaction score
One more thing to add, the G4's have been updated for 2013 and are using a lighter Gore Tex material, so depending on size needed and availability, you might just find the 2012 models on sale for not all that much more than the G3's.

I've said it before, nothing I've tried breathes better than Gore Tex and that translates into comfort for me. I am often in my boots for 12 hours a day, so I appreciate the comfort the G3's provide me.

Outside of proper care which includes drying them inside and out, storing them out of the heat of a car, rolling them up, an occasional wash/DWR treatment, one of the biggest factors to durability is the fit. Get a pair that fits you right--whatever the brand--and consider the amount of layers you'd typically use when you buy them.

osok

Reaction score
Not sure what model of Simms I've got but sure they are NOT the G-3 or G-4. What I can say is I've used them for five years. I feel comfortable saying I wear them 45+ days a year. They have yet to let me down, no leaks, no drips, no runs. I do not bushwack with them but don't take it easy either. You stay in thorns long enough you will feel the prick of a thorn. They are not intended for that kind of abuse; I say that knowing people do that and get by with it. Says a lot about Simms.

coug

Reaction score
One more thing to add, the G4's have been updated for 2013 and are using a lighter Gore Tex material, so depending on size needed and availability, you might just find the 2012 models on sale for not all that much more than the G3's.

I'.
Yeah, that is the deal I got last August. I did not know the difference and I am glad I have the thicker pair as I use them for streelhead.

Also, as Jaybo states fit is critical. Simms offers many combinations of size. Just follow their instructions and you should get a pair that fits perfect. I am of Welsh blood meaning my shoulders are wider than my legs are long, and Simms had a pair that fit perfect.