Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinyl rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing)

1 0.90%
  • Polyster rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing)

2 1.80%
  • Nylon rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing)

9 8.11%
  • Gore-tex rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing)

10 9.01%
  • Gore-tex Equivalent rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing)

6 5.41%
  • Vinyl fly fishing wading jacket

4 3.60%
  • Polyster fly fishing wading jacket

1 0.90%
  • Nylon fly fishing wading jacket

7 6.31%
  • Gore-tex fly fishing wading jacket

30 27.03%
  • Gore-tex Equivalent fly fishing wading jacket

23 20.72%
  • Frogg Toggs

7 6.31%
  • Plastic Trash Bag

0 0%
  • Al Naturale' (Nothing)

7 6.31%
  • Other

6 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

1. Default Re: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

For the winter I have a Hodgman gortex fishing jacket. The rest of the time I use my Patagonia fly fishing jacket.

Default Re: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
    As the owner of a "GoreTex equivalent", and noting that there are nearly equal numbers in that and the GoreTex category, I'm curious what those who have owned both think about the comparative difference between the two, related to price?

Thanks in advance, & Happy New Year!
    I work at Cabela's and we are told that Dry-Plus is an older patent of Gore-Tex, good but not as good as the current Gore-Tex. Gore-Tex and Dry-Plus are made in the USA and than shipped to countries like China or shipped within the USA to be built into boots, jackets, and shirts.

Thumbs up Re: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    I work at Cabela's and we are told that Dry-Plus is an older patent of Gore-Tex, good but not as good as the current Gore-Tex.
    MikeG, you work at a great store. Although living near Houston I only get to their nearest (Buda) retail store when I'm going to the Guadalupe, I've bought a ton of stuff from them online (even though I hate paying both shipping & tax for online purchases). As it happens, the Gore-Tex "equivalent" I have is the Cabela Dry-Plus, which I think a lot of. Packs up nicely for vest storage, good pocket arrangement, adjustable neoprene cuffs keep your arms dry when going down for a trout, breathes well in the warmer conditions I tend to fish in, and being the shorter "wade" model works well for me in the wading situations I'm normally in.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

I have a Patagonia SST, (goretex) bought at least 15 years ago for 150 which was steep at the time, now they're 350 (!!!). Still in great shape, no sign of wear, never seems too hot or too cold even in pretty severe weather and I wear it a lot. Great product, great design.

peregrines

I carry a wally world cheapy. It is on a pouch the size of a wallet. Easy to carry that way. Usally don't have it on me if it rains.

6. Default That is one cool projection clock!

This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling Wholesale Clocks Shipped To You Direct From Chinese Wholesaler some people call
    it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
    they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.

7. Default Re: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
    I have a Patagonia SST, (goretex) bought at least 15 years ago for 150 which was steep at the time, now they're 350 (!!!). Still in great shape, no sign of wear, never seems too hot or too cold even in pretty severe weather and I wear it a lot. Great product, great design.

peregrines
    I have been wanting this jacket for a while but can't justify the full price. Luckily, just found the old style version at a deep discount. Can't wait to get out there with it! Right now I'm wearing an Obermeyer ski jacket with sealed seams and waterproof zippers. It works great for cold weather but isn't designed as well as I'd like for fishing. No neoprene cuffs, no d-ring for my net, no fly box pocket, etc. The streamlined design is helpful sometimes, though.

I wear a green Gore Tex police uniform jacket by Blauer
    It's not exactly ideal, but it was cheap.... real cheap
    It was a factory second because there were no buttons for the epaulettes
    Even I was able to fix that
    As I remember the jacket listed for around $365.... I paid 2 bucks
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

And I thought I got a deal.

I bought a wading jacket on eBay three years ago who's inside label simply says, Bass Fish America, it was $40. It has stood up to the storms sent my way remarkably.

Being a traditionalist I tried to stick with either my Lewis creek or a Filson both are waxed cotton. The cotton jobs are great for light weather conditions but when you are camped for a week or more in coastal conditions getting pounded by rain they cant hold it out. Nothing much worse than waking up in a tent hearing rain pelting the exterior of the tent and knowing all you have is a wet jacket to put on while trying to brew coffee in the gale force winds. Sometimes just getting the old MSR Whisperlight lit is a bigger challenge than catching a fish.

The cheap jacket has passed the Alaska test so far.

10. Default Re: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

After a ton of research and shopping around I ended up with an Orvis Clearwater Packable jacket. I wanted something that wasn't too expensive, with decent features and waterproof/breathable. So far I like it very much in terms of style and function. My only complaint is that it is easily pierced by thorns. Some of the rivers I fish, particularly in southern CT, are heavily lined with wild rose bushes. at this point I haven't noticed any leaks but the next heavy rain will be a test for me. Hopefully aquaseal will work on the pinholes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast