Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default advertisement????

Having been in the fly fishing business in one manner or another since I was 12 (I'm now pushing 68) I've seen a lot of good band and ugly done in advertisement.

Does anyone remember the show "Bewitched" in which the husband was an ad man? They often bungled an ad and had to convince the client that the ad was good.

After all,what is the #1 aim of an ad man? To sell product? Nope to convince the client that the ad is selling the poduct!

So keeping that in mind let's take a look at obnoxious ads!
    I doubt that anyone enjoys getting bombarded by an obnoxious a on the TV or radioin fact I've often (very often) changed the channel or stopped watching/listening to a program when some idiot starts screaming in my ear or offending my sense of decency. I've taken polls at shows about the effect of annoying ads on their purchasing and found that far and away more people are turned off from buying a prodct than are persuaded to buy it.

However, keeping Vladimar Lenin in mind (Tell a lie long enough and with enough convicion and people will believe it) advertisement people have fallen prey to believing their own propaganda for so long and teachng it to new stdents of advertisement that they actually believe it.

I found in my polls that more than half of the people I met were turned off by annoying ads and I never found a person who would admit to buying something because the ad was annoying.

Of those people with which I talked about it, I found the the more intelligent the person appeared, he more he was turned off by the ad.

I's like to find out on forums if this hold true.

How many of you guys bought something because an ad was annoying and how many of you were turned off by an ad?

Jack

2. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, littledavid123 liked this post

Default Re: advertisement????

I rarely even see an ad. With the advent of DVR, most shows that I plan to watch are recorded and I fast forward through the ads. I now try to find regular people that use a product I am considering to hear their experiences rather than company propaganda and brainwashing.

I have to confess that I'd never consider Progressive Insurance though because Flo is so obnoxious. I imagine trying to file a claim and having to deal with her...lol. No way!

Quote Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
    i rarely even see an ad. With the advent of dvr, most shows that i plan to watch are recorded and i fast forward through the ads. I now try to find regular people that use a product i am considering to hear their experiences rather than company propaganda and brainwashing.

I have to confess that i'd never consider progressive insurance though because flo is so obnoxious. I imagine trying to file a claim and having to deal with her...lol. No way!
    ditto on that one, can you imagine having to live under the same bridge with her?

Best fly rod ad ever
    "Unmatched lifting power" !

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by rip tide View Post
    best fly rod ad ever
    "unmatched lifting power" ! :d

i wouldn't consider that obnoxious, i'd say it's entertaining.

7. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post
    i wouldn't consider that obnoxious, i'd say it's entertaining.
    Why dwell on obnoxious? That only stirs the pot.
    Unless I'm mistaken, this sub-forum is dedicated to "Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics."
    I never once saw Darrin Stevens out fly fishing, Flo either
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post
    ditto on that one, can you imagine having to live under the same bridge with her?
    A dozen 'impure thought' just went through my mind. I need to think about those again.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

10. Likes cab liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Why dwell on obnoxious? That only stirs the pot.
    Unless I'm mistaken, this sub-forum is dedicated to "Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics."
    I never once saw Darrin Stevens out fly fishing, Flo either
    I'm only asking these questions because I'm sometimes asked by people in the fishing business about ad campaigns.

I was annoyed that I was not out on the beach helping this poor girl work on her stroke. I was also annoyed that my girlfriend was eating too much pizza and not doing enough Zumba. I now have 5 new Hardy reels AND a new girlfriend.

Thanks Howard.
    "In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. __________________ In Hell the police are German, the cooks are British, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."

I can live with ads like Hardy's !!

14. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast