Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year whish would you chose?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dry Fly

45 22.17%
  • Wet Fly

17 8.37%
  • Nymph

75 36.95%
  • Streamer

66 32.51%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Which fly would you choose

Nobody's said it yet, so I will. When all else fails, the go to for me is the red San Juan Worm. It gets 'em everytime.

Default Re: Which fly would you choose

Just a #14 adams is all i ever use, Kills em everytime.
    Troy

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

In 30yrs. of Flyfishing and using just about every fly on the market I've found one fly thats always has landed me Trout when all others have failed. ( Mr.Copper ) has landed us alot of fish since we tested it 5yrs. ago..... Streamers are flyfishers best friend because of its movements and mimics so many food sources...... crawfish,leeches,baitfish, sculpins etc. This of coarse dosn't mean that none of the other flies will work as well but your chances are better then some! I've studied Entomology for a good long time and its very interesting on how and why trout feed the way they do.......just my 2 cents worth.....
    Lambster
    www.georgiaflyguide.com/
    Hello all! I've been looking for a flyfishing forum.........

Blog Entries

A Nine Three, if you aren't familiar with this pattern look it up you may like them. Easy to tie and very effective from spring Creek PA to here and all points in between.

5. Default Re: Which fly would you choose

If I had to pick only one fly it would have to be the Chironomid !
    The Chironomid is a staple food source for the rainbow trout in most of the interior lakes of British Columbia. The insect is available year round in three of it's four life stages, but nothing gets the rainbows going on a feeding frenzy like the chironomid does when it hatches from a pupa to an adult!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
    Just a #14 adams is all i ever use, Kills em everytime.
    I love the Adams & usually carry a box of them in all different sizes, but in this case I would have to go with a Hares ear Nymph & if I could sneak one in my pocket an Adams.

7. Default Re: Which fly would you choose

Gotta be a dry. I might not catch as many, and they may not be as big. But I would never trade the excitement I get from watching the take.

8. Default Re: Which fly would you choose

Dry fly. This is the most exciting time of the year for me when the dry flies are very productive(Light Cahill).

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year which would you chose?
    Your ? asks which fly... your poll options offer types of flies... so I'm really gonna stir it up a bit... stay with me.

If I could only fish one fly it would be either the Kennebago Muddler, or the Picket Pinn depending on what/where my big plans for the season were. The real beauty of these flies is they look like so many things depending on how you fish them (and what size you use... I can have multiple sizes can't I???), and they can both be fished very effectively dry, wet, nymphing or as a streamer. I really love taking them out west and being ask "what's THAT?" by guides who then inform me that they won't catch anything... and then eating crow soon after asking if I have a spare they can have to tie to...
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

10. Default Re: Which fly would you choose

I have to go with a streamer, as they are productive year round, if fished properly, which isn't hard. Though I have a hard time nailing down a specific fly, it would probally be a bucktail streamer, a you can fish them deep, shallow, slow, fast, they're easy to tie, don't cost much to ie eiher, and can be tinkered with to mimic just about any fish species ya got. And think about it. If yor fishing for fish, theirs gonna be fish around, so its a perfect choice for any water you can ever go to, even if you don't know a lick about stream etomolligy(or however you spell that).
    I like organic chicken..... The kind with the capes still on 'em

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast