Which fly would you choose

If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year whish would you chose?

• Dry Fly

Votes: 46 22.5%
  • Wet Fly

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Nymph

Votes: 74 36.3%
  • Streamer

Votes: 65 31.9%

• Total voters

Davo

Reaction score
If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year which would you chose?

Myself, I'd choose a streamer. Exact choice would have to be a JJ Special. It's wooly bugger with a brown and yellow marabou tail, brown chenile body, yellow rubber legs, and grizzly hackle and copper wire ribbing.

GRN

Reaction score
It would either be a picket pin or a kennebago muddler because they can both be fished very effectively as 'any of the above'...

Greenwood

Reaction score
Give me something like a soft-hackle hare's ear in a size 14 or 16 and I'll be content for the day. Need to go deep like a nymph? ..... add a split shot or two. Surface? ......grease it up and fish it like a drowned dry. Need to work the riffles and around snags?.....just work it like a streamer; sometimes I think the trout take it for a little bait fish anyway - especially if it's hackled fairly heavy and fished on the swing! The best way? ......cast it upstream.....dead drift it through the seams and let it rise and swing on the end of the drift! .....Very versatile! And, that's my 2 cents!

zerolimit

Reaction score
I know I would catch fewer fish but I don't think I could fish subsurface for a year straight so I'd have to go with a dry attractor of some sort. Maybe a green and copper triple double in a 14 or 16.

jimw

Reaction score
Fishing the salt 90% of the time i would have to go with a 3" to 4" clouser all white, pearl flashabou, small lead eyes. This is my goto fly and will catch about anything salty.
Jim

Davo

Reaction score
Sorry Jim I know this pole is mainly a freshwater topic. But if I'm not mistaken you did pick a Streamer. LOL. Thanks for sharing

liv2fish

Reaction score
If would depend on whether I'm fishing for my dinner or just for fun and if it was only 1 single fly or one type of fly. Nymphs are more productive but dries are more fun. If it was a nymph prob. a cased caddis pattern I like and if it was a dry, prob. a parachute adams.

yatahey

Reaction score
That's another of those "Depends on" questions.
If I want to catch a lot of fish, a Pheasant Tail #18.
If I want to catch fewer fish and have more fun, a Griffiths Gnat #22.
There's always some midges hatching year round.
By more fun I mean surface fishing. Love to watch em take the fly.
No fair using a dropper on this poll, eh?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year which would you chose?

Myself, I'd choose a streamer. Exact choice would have to be a JJ Special. It's wooly bugger with a brown and yellow marabou tail, brown chenile body, yellow rubber legs, and grizzly hackle and copper wire ribbing.
Hi Davo,

Is this the JJ special you are talking about or do you like a bead head version?

Frank

High Country Flies JJ Special

Pocono

Reaction score
#18/20 Parachute Adams.

I'm with Fyshstykr, a para Adams, but probably in a #16.

Second choice would be a #14 Partridge and Yellow soft hackle (they're close in terms of productivity for me); the soft hackle fished as Greenwood describes.

For post-heavy rain, tea-colored water, a Chernobyl Ant in #10 (black body/cream underbody/red thread). A lot of guys up here won't fish right after a heavy rain, but I find that the ant is almost a guaranteed fish-getter in those conditions (plus, I get to fish a lot of water with no one else around!:))