Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29

Poll: When swinging flies how do you weight down your presentation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Swinging flies (How do you weigh it down)

Right or wrong I use them all. For steelhead and Salmon fishing up in NY, I'll high stick a run and then swing the end of my drift with a small wetfly up to a large heavy stonefly nymph sometimes with a couple small bb split shot and mono-leader. I'll also swing an intruder or streamer with T (whatever) sink tips with a Skagit head. I like the sinking polyleaders too for lower flows and a Scandi head swinging a traditional style Salmon pattern like an Undertaker.

I'll change my rig up until I hit the magical set-up. Some days I hit the perfect combo on the perfect water and others I flail away without a hit. I try to cast a wide net and not get stuck on any single method. Swinging Intruders are fun, but you need biters and I don't like to get skunked.

flytie09

2. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Swinging wets I use no weight, but often use the Rio Single Handed Spey 3D line (floating, hover and intermediate section line to tip). It gets the wets into the right zone and gives me a wonderful catch rate on three and two fly casts. For shallow waters, I use the regular Rio SHS which is a great all around line. I cast slightly more upstream if I want a slightly deeper presentation and select my sparsest flies tied on heavy wire Kamasan hooks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Likes tcorfey liked this post

A brief update for me on this subject as this is a rather old post, since that time I have used mostly an intermediate line for swinging flies, but in deeper water I have used an Ard style sink tip or a poly leader. But late this spring I was fishing a spring creek that was wide and maybe 3' deep. There were a few risers and I was delivering a dry fly to them with limited results. So I decided to switch to a wet fly presentation and used what I had, which was a floating line to a 11' leader. To this I added a beadhead Prince as a point fly and a winged wet fly PMD about 18" up the line on a 6" dropper. I swung this cross stream and down and was picking up rainbows on the prince and browns on the wet fly on a regular basis. When the conditions call for it I will definitely go back to that rig again.

Regards,

Tim C.

6. Likes bocast liked this post

When I first started fly fishing, I fished with my grandfather and he was old school, even for the early '60s
    He fished a 3 winged-wet fly 'cast' of flies and there was no need to weight them.
    They were plenty heavy as is, as long as you mended your line enough to let them sink.
    The point fly was "the anchor" and that combined with the middle dropper held the rig under water.
    The top fly (the 'bob') danced on the surface when you were doing it right.
    It's a deadly way to fish.
    The leader was quite stout and the same flies stayed on all the time.

I use a bit of lead on most of my soft hackles now and only rarely fish the 3 fly cast.
    It takes some time to put it together
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

8. Likes tcorfey, bocast liked this post

I swing light wire hairwings and skate deer hair dries on a floating line for summer and fall run steelhead. I prefer Air Flo and Cortland mid and long belly lines. I like the traditional feel and the way they mend and cast over scandi and Skagit lines. I fish only low light hours from my streamside cabin in Maupin Or. when the water temps drop under 45 degrees I pretty much quit fishing. However, on a nice winter day, on a high but dropping flow, I might venture to a cascade or coastal stream from my home in Portland and swing a large lightly weighted tube fly on a light tip. I fish in close to the bank when fish are moving in shallow water after a freshet. If everything is aligned perfectly I might catch a mint bright wild winter steelhead. I don't catch a lot of fish anymore, but when I do It's got to be, just the way I like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    He fished a 3 winged-wet fly 'cast' of flies and there was no need to weight them.
    They were plenty heavy as is, as long as you mended your line enough to let them sink.
    The point fly was "the anchor" and that combined with the middle dropper held the rig under water.
    The top fly (the 'bob') danced on the surface when you were doing it right.
    It's a deadly way to fish.
    It still is. Unfortunately, my state limits me to two flies, but I can live with that.

I never weight swung wet flies. It defeats my purpose in swinging them in the first place. If I want flies to sink, I fish them upstream.

The poll needs another category.

(I do using a sinking leader when fishing streamers, however.)

11. Likes stenacron liked this post

If I am wading and swinging, I am almost certainly using a trout Spey rod with some sort of sinking tip on a Skagit head. Often, the flies (especially if they are streamers) are weighted, as well.

I swing soft hackles using the same trout Spey rod with a Scandi head and long, fine leader. I run either two or three flies, depending on where I am. The point fly will often be slightly weighted if I'm fishing in strong current or deeper water with droppers flies unweighted. I usually run flies of different sizes and colors on the same rig.

I fish streamers from a boat with single-hand rods and sink tip lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12