Angler Category

What category of fly fishing best describes you?

• Never Tried It: I just browse NAFFF to see what all the excitement is about.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newbie: Recently decided to try fly fishing, but still more proficient in other forms of fishing.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Seasonal, type I: I fly fish spring & fall only (summer heat and/or harsh winters play a role here)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Seasonal, type II: I fly fish spring & summer (fall is for hunting, winter for other)

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Part Time, type I: I fly fish 25% or less regardless of season as I prefer other forms of fishing.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Part Time, type II: I fly fish most of the time, but still enjoy the occasional departure.

Votes: 33 23.1%
  • Full Time: I fly fish 100% of my fishing outings and the rest of my fishing gear collects dust.

Votes: 78 54.5%
  • Other Category: Explain Below…

Votes: 12 8.4%

• Total voters

stenacron

Reaction score
A special report recently posted by Yikes illustrated quite well that overall in the US, fly fishing is the least popular form of fishing: http://takemefishing.org/uploadedFiles/Content/General/About_RBFF/Research_and_Evaluations/2014SpecialReportOnFishing_FINAL.pdf

While I have no doubt that this is true... I also have no doubt that here on NAFFF, fly fishing is probably the most popular form of fishing!

And while I have no reason to dive into the demographics, I am a bit curious as to what category you would place yourself into? This can be tricky as speaking for myself, using the poll references, I was a Seasonal type I before moving to Utah in 2010. Then I quickly transitioned to Part Time, type II, and believe that I may have now arrived in Full Time without even noticing (until now).

NOTE: Although not encouraged, the above poll is set up for multiple answers if needed.

smilingduck

Reaction score
I put myself in the "other" category I always fly fish but since we had twins 2 yrs ago it's kinda put a damper on my stream time.

ted4887

Reaction score
Part time, type 2 for me. More than anything, the reason for this is my geographical location making it nearly impossible to fly fish year round. I enjoy ice fishing during the winter months, and have a few times this year broke out conventional tackle in warm water situations too.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Being retired I can fly fish pretty much all year long, the winters can be tough sometimes depending on the wx, so I just pick the best days to go out. I don't own any spinning gear and haven't ever tried ice fishing despite living in Alaska for 16 years.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Full time fly fish and it's always been that way
Except for ice jigging I don't own any spinning rods and haven't fished with one since I was a child

scoutm

Reaction score
"Other" - I would fly fish everyday if I could but the wife, child and business - not to mention choice of residency and crazy desire to achieve professionally just won't allow it.

Between getting my drives license and starting college I fished 220+ days a year. Pre-wife and child I would get 20-30 days on the water now I'm lucky to get 10...can't wait for retirement.

stenacron

Reaction score
"Other" - I would fly fish everyday if I could but the wife, child and business - not to mention choice of residency and crazy desire to achieve professionally just won't allow it.

Between getting my drives license and starting college I fished 220+ days a year. Pre-wife and child I would get 20-30 days on the water now I'm lucky to get 10...can't wait for retirement.
Life gets in the way for most of us at some point Scoutm, but it starts to come back to you as you get older! So hang in there. :)

As far as the category goes, if you fish <10 times/year, but every trip is fly fishing, then you're a 100-percenter (not tied to the amount of fishing). ;)

Curtis

Reaction score
I went with the always fly fish, but I do have the spin gear for those times I get to take the nephews out. They are still a little too young, but can't wait to buy them a fly rod when they can use it.

ezduzit

Reaction score
Old Newbie. But have already float fished 9 lakes, resulting in releasing dozens of trout from 13"-24", dozens more blue gills and baby largemouths, plus a 13" smallmouth and 26" carp; fishing a borrowed, older, parabolic, 5wt, 2-piece Orvis (I love that rod! Thanks Wally).

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I put "other" because there was no category for "flyfishing 100% of the time with a generally befuddled look and strangely endearing level of incompetence."

Seriously, I put "other" because I go spring, summer, and fall and 99% with a fly rod. Late fall and winter became hunting season.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I am a 100% fly fisher. I own no other type of fishing gear. I gave it all up and sold it all. To me fly fishing is the pinnacle of fishing.
I have always been one to hunt the fish, and could never sit and wait for the fish to come to me.
Don't get me wrong, it's fun bass fishing in your boat with a good friend, chucking spinner dinners and cranks. But being out by yourself, surrounded by the sound of running water and incredible scenery, just enjoying the solitude of it all, and having a trout come up to a bit of feather and fuzz and say hello.....nothing beats it.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
As Mr smilingduck said. "Good way to break a rod right there"

In case there are those that didn't understand. Never do this.
You should never fight a fish holding your rod at vertical or beyond and you should never, ever, make a "fulcrum" with your line hand above the grip.
That just creates a snap point

busbus

Reaction score
Life gets in the way for most of us at some point Scoutm, but it starts to come back to you as you get older! So hang in there. :)

As far as the category goes, if you fish <10 times/year, but every trip is fly fishing, then you're a 100-percenter (not tied to the amount of fishing). ;)
I Went with "Other" myself but, according to Stenacron, I should have picked 100-percenter.

I don't get the chance to get out nearly as much as I would like. I puttz around on a couple really small ponds during lunch as often as possible but does that really count? I try to focus on practicing casting more than anything but it usually ends up mindlessly casting again and again and I end up working on de-stressing instead.

When I first tried fly fishing a few years ago, I almost immediately stopped all other forms of fishing. As it is, I used the spinning setup once last year and never this year. There the something therapeutic is fly fishing once you get over the "need" to catch fish all the time.

ray

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I am 100 percent fly fishing. Got a lot of dusty gear in the garage. I do use it usually one or two days of the year to get catfish for the July 4th fish fry. Didn't get around to it this year.

I fish year round as well. I have really come to love fishing in the cold of winter. My coldest day so far fly fishing is 4 degrees this past January. It was a great day of fishing!

Fishing with the snow falling is a great experience too.

I am afraid I have completely lost it when it comes to fly fishing. When I am not fly fishing, I am thinking about fly fishing.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
I voted other because I misread the options. I fly fish 100% of the time I fish, but I'm only ever able to get out once a month or so. I think I've been fishing 5 times this year and the longest trip was probably 4 hours.