Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Tried but didn't like it

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Other

Votes: 32 46.4%

• Total voters

tcorfey

Reaction score
I chose other because I do tie. Mostly Nymphs, streamers, EHC, some soft hackles.

But I also buy.

Sometimes I buy because I am in a flyshop asking questions and I want to support the fly shop with a purchase and it gets too expensive to buy rods and reels like that. :)

Sometimes I buy because I want a specific pattern that my huge fingers or poor eyesight prevent me from tying correctly.

I buy from Jerry because I want to support him and his kids.

Regards,

Tim C.

fenix84

Reaction score
During the fishing season I fish and when I m not fishing I play hockey. I am very fascinated in fly tying but I know a local fly tiers that provides high quality flies for really reasonable prices. So I guess I don't tie because I don't have time and its economical to buy.

axle27

Reaction score
I fooled around with it, but I also realize what a slippery slope this is. I'd rather just buy.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I tie a little and buy a lot. Honestly, in a sense, I see fly fishing and fly tying as two different hobbies. Yes, there is a strong relationship. One could apply the same to rod building, furled leader making, streamside entomology, and more.

A person can only have so many hobbies before it ends up being you are spreading yourself too thin (not being retired, that is a smaller number than some others!). I do consider both to be my hobbies, along with guitar playing, ham radio, voracious reading, and working on classic sports cars. Those keep me more than busy.

mka

Reaction score
I would rather support those who have a passion for it...and life for me is best when I focus on those things I have a passion for. I love fly fishing, finding and buying fishing gear, and experiencing the beautiful places fishing takes me! And, I also enjoy other things that are not fly fishing oriented...to maintain balance in my life.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought I was going to answer the poll but you left the word "well" off the poll title.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I tie 95% of the time. Though I do buy to support a shop when I'm in there asking questions and not already looking to purchase something else. I'll also buy when I'm in a new area. Like when I went out to Yellowstone. I probably bought more flies that trip than I'd purchased in years since tying my own. I've also bought to support Jerry's kids.

r reese

Reaction score
Tied many years just like fishing a lot more now. 57 years old just want to fish all the time and read a lot

pjcalla

Reaction score
I enjoy tying big streamers for smallies on my local water and big trout out west (I send them to my brother in-law). I do not enjoy tying small dies or nymphs, so I will buy those when in a fly shop asking for advice.

I tie because it helps me "get on the water," when I'm at home. I have a toddler running around at home, so my time to get on the water is limited. It seems my fly boxes are gaining flies a lot quicker than losing them lately, but hey, I'm "on the water."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tie 95% of the time. Though I do buy to support a shop when I'm in there asking questions and not already looking to purchase something else. I'll also buy when I'm in a new area. Like when I went out to Yellowstone. I probably bought more flies that trip than I'd purchased in years since tying my own. I've also bought to support Jerry's kids.
I love to use flies from friends like Jerry (even though I've not made it to the cabin by the river yet). I like to swap flies with fishing buddies too.

We are going out to Wyoming this summer and are already tying flies for that trip. But we'll be in some shops buying flies and tying supplies and shooting the bull. Can't hit Cody without visiting Tim Wade.

I'll be bringing flies along for Larry too. They ain't pretty but fish don't seem to like pretty all that much...lol.

I took a break from tying for quite a while but when I got back into it, I still felt like that kid digging through that first box of feathers, fastening a Mustad hook into the jaws of a lousy vise creating whatever I wanted to create and then taking it to the neighborhood pond the next morning to give it a whirl.

I've had the urge to tie all week. But I have had the other great privilege of watching my grandson for a few hours the last few evenings and that has pre-empted that urge. So instead, I play with him and wait for his little fingers to get coordinated enough to do a whip finish himself.

I can't imagine fly fishing without tying. But I started tying very young. I should be much better at it than I am but my fingers are not as limber as they used to be and I don't see things I once could see.

I also start typing and continue to do so without making any relevant point whatsoever. Guess I'll stop now.:eek:

myt1

Reaction score
It is only a matter of time before I start tying my own flies.

It's hard to explain, but I'm not ready yet.

I need to get a few more fish under my belt first.

cab

Reaction score
Just not enough TIME!!!! :mad:

Also, as my fishing and casting abilities have improved over the years, I don't lose as many flies as I used to.

CAB

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Tied all my own for many years, Parkinson's and shaky hands put a stop to that. Good friend coming up in a few days to fish. Tie Desk/flufy things are good to go if he wants to get creative.

Need to go out and get him a bottle of good single malt; hip flask is ready to go.:thumbsupu

fae

marky3130

Reaction score
Once my daughter was born I boxed it all up. That was 2.5 years ago. The kitchen table used to be my full time tying station. Not much time anymore plus the fear of dropped hooks being stepped on, or my daughter getting into everything. I probably ought to just get rid of it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05harleyrider

Reaction score
Who doesn't have time to tie. One of the best feelings you will have is knowing that last big trout you caught was on a fly that YOU tied. When it happens for the first time you will be hooked.

acorad

Reaction score
I tie the flies I use all the time, and buy the flies that only get occasionally used.

Andy