Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  77

Poll: Why don't you tie flies?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: A question to those who don't tie...

I still tie ( and enjoy it) but limit my tying to Warm and Salt water flies in the #8 and above range these days as my eyes aren't as good as they were. Besides, many trout /smaller flies can be purchased for less than $7/doz these days. It makes justifying the buying the materials for and going through hassle of tying tiny stuff hard.

2. Likes karstopo, fredaevans liked this post

Default A question to those who don't tie...

As a bowhunter I know many guys like to fletch their own arrows. Me, tried it, wasnít my thing. I thought about getting into tying and even gave it a small try recently but just donít see me getting into it. Maybe at some point that will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smoke33; 06-25-2018 at 06:29 AM.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by wee hooker View Post
    I still tie ( and enjoy it) but limit my tying to Warm and Salt water flies in the #8 and above range these days as my eyes aren't as good as they were. Besides, many trout /smaller flies can be purchased for less than $7/doz these days. It makes justifying the buying the materials for and going through hassle of tying tiny stuff hard.
    Exactly for me too; tied my own for years ... now I haven't tied for years. Boxes of the things that have never seen water; probably never will.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

5. Default Re: A question to those who don't tie...

if its a big streamer patter i usually buy

I just don't have the time.
    RJ

I responded to this back in June and nothing has changed. I have no desire to learn to tie. Maybe that will change someday.
    I still enjoy and appreciate all the work that guys post here of the flies they tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Default Re: A question to those who don't tie...

time is also a factor.. sometimes just don't have time to tie

I use to tie a lot more variety of flies. I now tie two main flies, a stimmi and a wire nymph in two colors each, one light and one dark, in 3 sizes each. Frankly, because I use those two flies 90% of the time or more. I now tie about 200 flies in the winter and than do what I call subsistence tying during the summer time. If I notice a size getting low in my box I sit at the vise and knock out a few. Some times in the morning before I head out I might try a slight modification to the original pattern, but I always seem to tie on the original first. Last summer I made a small modification that I liked and ended up giving away a bunch of flies. By bunch, I mean may be 50 flies. I have two sets of boxes, one for hiking and one for wade/floating. The hiking box, yes box, has probably less than 100 flies in it. The two river boxes have probably 200 flies each.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

As a newb, I had no interest in tying flies until I learned how to use them.

Last month I made the decision to learn how to tie....WOW! What a rabbit hole.

Am focused on one pattern and a dozen attempts per. I am really fortunate to have two fly shops within 10 minutes of each other, with one offering high quality materials and insights. One shop offers group lessons, which I am signed up to attend.

I told my wife that after an initial investment of $500, I should be good to go, spending little more than $100 per year. (She thought it would be great if I could sell them on E-bay. Made it clear this is a hobby....no tangible return on investment, other than pleasure.)

The goal is to learn how to tie the patterns that work on my river. Articulated streamers may not be on the menu for me....time will tell.

I buy flies for three reasons: 1) to support a shop in an area new to me; 2) to serve as a pattern; 3) Iím out and desperate.

Otherwise, I fish my own flies. As I was learning I found a strong correlation between catching and tying ó think the late great Gary LaFontaine and his seminal work Caddisflies. As I read the book, I tied his patterns. The same would be true for Caucci and Nastasiís Hatches.

I tie patterns which immitate specific stages of specific hatches. For the typical mayfly hatch I may have in my box weighted nymphs, unweighted nymphs, emergers, cripples, sparkleduns, comparaduns, thorax duns, hackled duns and rusty spinners, all in a couple of different colors. Iíd go broke doing this buying flies. I donít even want to talk about all the different patterns for attractors, streamers and terrestrials.

One could say I am fly obsessed. I typically only fish a couple of different patterns during a hatch ó not six or seven. During a mayfly hatch I catch the vast majority of my fish on a sparkledun fished in the film. I tie all those flies because I enjoy tying. And, there are times on tough water when a greenish yellow, as opposed to grayish watery yellow, Quigley really ďisĒ the only killing pmd pattern!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast