Fly Fishing reference book

Looking for a good general reference book on fly fishing. which one would you recomme

• The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fly Fishing by Michael D. Shook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fly Fishing for Dummies by Peter Kaminsky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

truchas

Reaction score
Looking for a good general reference book on fly fishing. which one would you recommend?

1 The Complete Book of Fly Fishing by Tom McNally

2 The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide by Tom Rosenbauer

3 The L.L. Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing by Macauley Lord, Dick Talleur, and Dave Whitlock

4 The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fly Fishing by Michael D. Shook

5 Fly Fishing for Dummies by Peter Kaminsky

6 Other, please indicate the title and author.

Thanks,

Truchas.

kinderfly

Reaction score
the complete book of fly fishing is really a great book. it teaches you a little bit of everything. I especially like the focus he puts on Knots and the step by step instructions. I'm new to fly fishing and this book has helped tremendously.

I suggest you go to your local library and check out all three of the top books that people suggested and you can determine for yourself which one you would want to buy... If you want to buy any of them. I personally don't buy any books because we have an awesome library system in N.Y. One card and you can go to any library in about 8 counties...

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi truchas,

I have a little different perspective on buying books or DVD's. I think you are better off with specialty books for specific interest. If you want to learn knots, buy a knot book. If you are interested in Steelhead fishing, buy a book about Steelhead. I think you get the idea. When you buy a specialty book you generally get an author who specializes in a specific type of fishing. General books that give you a little bit about everything are OK but you may not get as much information on a single type of fishing that you may be interested in.

Having said that I can recommend a very good all around book for fresh and saltwater fishing. "Lefty Kreh's Ultimate Guide to Fly Fishing"

A second series of books that I can recommend is "Lefty's Little Library" This is a series of books about all aspects of fly fishing. There are 21 or 22 different, small books. They have top quality paper and binding. This is not a cheap way to go but it is something you will want to hand down to a Son or Daughter. This set was originally sold one book a month until Left'y had finished the set. They did screw up on the index book as it was done as a add on and it is not easy to use.

Frank

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Truchas,
I first started out with the LL Bean book. They also have a couple of other fly fishing related books that are pretty good. To anyone that I find interested in learning about fly fishing, I always suggest the Curtis Creek Manifesto. It's a fun book to read, as well as, easy to understand with the illustrations. I gave each of my kids a copy and they seem to enjoy it. Check it out.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Wyatt

Reaction score
When we took our first lesson last year the Instructor showed us several books and I ended up with The Freshwater Angler - Fly Fishing Strategies & Tactics which has a lot of info from gear to reading water and identifiing fish and the bugs they eat and I would recommend it to all beginners.
Wyatt

truchas

Reaction score
So, it seems like number 3 is a clear winner. I hope that voters followed kinderfly's suggestion. I did that and read 1, 2 and 5, which is all they had. I did not like 5 so much but chapter about tying was pretty informative. 1 and 2 were both good but the pictures or diagrams were not so good. I read that the new edition of 2 corrects the problem. I think that Frank makes a good point, I will also consider that option. Piscator and Wyatt, I will also check your suggestions.

Thanks,

Truchas.

Davo

Reaction score
Truchas

Not sure what specific species your into fishing. If your interested in trout there is another book written by Tom Rosenbauer that you should definitely check out. It is called "Prospecting For Trout". It covers trout behavior, reading water, stream evaluation and tactics for dry flies, wet flies, nymphs and streamers. This is one of the most complete guides to trout fishing I've found and my copy is well worn!!

smith950

Reaction score
We Lauri and I started Fly Fishing last year we bought Fly Fishing Basics by Dave Hughes. A friend gave The The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide by Tom Rosenbauer. Both were good, books. I think Fly Fishing Basics did a better job of going over beginner type topics.

Scott

jimw

Reaction score
My 2 favorite would have to be
1) Fly Fishing saltwater by Lefty Kreh
2) Inshore fly fishing by Lou Tabory
both are a must for salty fly fishers

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Trout Rigs and Methods and also Handbook of Hatches. Both by Dave Hughes. I find his books extremely readable and the first is a great technical book about how to fly fish. The second is the best bug book I have ever seen for a new fly fisher.

yatahey

Reaction score
I really learned a lot from Gary Borger's book Presentations. It's been out of print for some time, but the library had a copy I was able to borrow. I say had because I recently wanted to take it out again and found out it had been stolen.
Book searches online have found the book for sale but the prices are in the $300 range. Now I know why it was stolen,.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dear friends,my reference book has got a funny moustache two legs,two arms,two great eyes to locate fish,and a lifetime experience;)...but if I had to recommend a book it would be this one:Mouche pour la Pêche by R Del Pozo a spanish flyfisherman and entomologist:more than 400 pages about flies classified by species with amazing photos of each,there's a little chapter about tying and one about roosters and feathers.You may not know this book I think it's not a reference one about tying it's THE one about flies.
Here are some pages of the book(if you'd like to see a prticular one just ask me)

Attachments

Jackster

Reaction score
Though I really like the Orvis book, The Curtis Creek Manifesto is also a very good start-up book.

bekiu002

Reaction score
The LL. Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing and this site have taught me everything I know about fly fishing. The book is very good and gives a good range of information.

JoJer

Reaction score
I always recommend "The Orvis Streamside Guide to Trout Foods and Their Imitations" to folks who tell me they want to learn to flyfish. I can teach most people the basics of casting in less than an hour, but learning which fly to use where is more difficult for most.
BTW, I teach casting the way Lefty Kreh ('s books) taught me. His instruction from Lefty's Little Library added 20' to my casts. I always recommend these books to newbies.
If you see Kreh's "Fly Fishing in Salt Water" on the shelf, pick it up and read the Introduction by Frank Woolner and prepare to be amazed!

L

Liphookedau

Re: Fly Fishing reference book/s

Hi all.
I have a multitude of books written by Australian,New Zealand British and American Authors which I have acquired over many many years, at present ones mostly used are :
World Fly Finder by Peter Cockwill,a brilliant little book.
Tying and Fishing Outstanding Flies by Doug Stewart,an excellent book.
Flytying Bible by Peter Gathercole,also a brilliant book.
Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes,also an excellant book.
Fur & Feather by Peter Leuver,a classic book.
Even though from time to time I might use one of my other 100 + books & growing for reference,I still seem to be buying them all the time.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Aquatic Entomology by W. Patrick McCafferty ISBN 0-86720-017-0
Think of the this as the Tao of bugs. Just about anywhere you open it, is probably something you need to know. A decent bathroom book, but mine stays in the truck. Not a book to read cover to cover, but has sections written for ecologists and Fly fishers, (human speak). Best fifty bucks I've spent on fishing.