Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  44

View Poll Results: How often do you eat/release what you catch?

Voters
448. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always release

162 36.16%
  • Mostly release, sometimes keep

259 57.81%
  • Depends on the location, but prefer to keep

22 4.91%
  • Always catch fish to keep

5 1.12%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

I always release wild trout. Occasionally I will keep a saltwater fish that I plan on using fresh.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

2. Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

I release 99.99% of the fish I catch. Last year I kept a total of 3-4 trout out of hundreds, and they were newly stocked put-and take state rainbows. I think taking wild trout is almost always sinful, with one or two exceptions. If you are in an extremely trout-rich environment, in the middle of nowhere (the type of place that you can camp for 2 weeks and not see another human being) and you want to keep a trout or two to cook over the fire, and the regulations permit it - I think it is OK.

Also, if a fish is so badly injured that it IS NOT going to survive, I can see an exception there as well.

Question for you folks - if a trout SWALLOWS a fly and the fly is deep in it's stomach, will it typically die?

3. Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

I will keep a fish if I'm going to eat it that day, otherwise they go back. I do have to admit that I get a little conflicted with releasing hatchery fish, especially steelhead.
    When I lived in White Salmon Wa I found on my home water(s) that if you don't let them go, you can't catch them again.

4. Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

I always release. I figure I will get the chance to catch them again and maybe next time he'll be even bigger.

5. Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

It all depends on the location of fishing, most of the places I fish regularely is catch and release only.

John

6. Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

Went fishing this past weekend and decided to keep a couple to cook in the smoker. They tasted great.

John

Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

What I do really depends on the situation.
    Personally, I'm not much of a fish eater, but the wife (gotta love her) believes if you're not bringing a few home, fishing is a waste of time.
    So to appease her I'll often go out just for some pan fish. I'll bring home a bluefish now and then too. They're really good smoked !
    As for trout, the only reason I'll keep them is if I don't believe that they'll survive the summer, or if they're at the end of their life cycle.
    Brook trout around here don't live anymore than 3 years. In my home stream, any fish larger than 9" won't survive to another season. It took me a long time to realize this and I still don't feel right about harvesting them, but if I don't eat them, the raccoons will
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

8. Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

Quote Originally Posted by jclampwork88 View Post
    Went fishing this past weekend and decided to keep a couple to cook in the smoker. They tasted great.

John
    I hear you. In the winter the fish are just sooooo tasty. I like to clean them out, put hickory smoked bacon, either onion or garlic roll them in foil and when crispy on the outside, a slice of lemon...Ummmmm.
    Another way is one inch of water in a skillet. Lay fish in and boil then flip and peel skin off. then repeat on other side. Boil a little longer till meat falls off the bones. Mix it up with mayo, pickles chops, celery chops, onions and TABASCO.....great on crackers!

One trick, soak in milk over night to get the fishie taste out.

9. Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

The rainbows look great this time of year. The spawn colors were out. They weren't the biggest, but they were fat.

John

Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

I dislike when people keep large trophy size fish. This is worse when it comes to Pike, Muskie, or walleye. Big fish don't taste good in my opinion, and they are not safe to eat too much of if they are predator fish.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast