tie or (k)not

Tie or (k)not

• Total voters

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I tie most of my flies, and take them with me when I travel. After all, where doesn't an Adams work well in our country? The flies that I tie, at least one or two will work no matter where I am. At least that's what I have found.

But there are rare occasions where I will buy a fly because I might want to try it out, or it looks like something I may want to tie in the future. I have bought flies from our friend Jerry here on this forum, but not because I needed any, I simply believe in his cause, and they make great gifts as well.

ratherfish

Reaction score
I tie most of my flies, and take them with me when I travel. After all, where doesn't an Adams work well in our country? The flies that I tie, at least one or two will work no matter where I am. At least that's what I have found.

But there are rare occasions where I will buy a fly because I might want to try it out, or it looks like something I may want to tie in the future. I have bought flies from our friend Jerry here on this forum, but not because I needed any, I simply believe in his cause, and they make great gifts as well.
"Jerry" what's the scoop and who is Jerry? Not trying to be rude, I just don't know.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Jerry is Hairwing530. Look for the thread "The 2017 Miracle XL+"

He teaches tying classes for children who have cancer. All proceeds goes to his cause, NOT his pocket.

karstopo

Reaction score
When I first started fly fishing, I bought some flies. Then I started tying my own and never bought flies. Then I moved from a house with a tying room and no lake to a house with no tying room and a lake so somehow that worked out to buying a few flies.

Now I tie on the kitchen table (and everyone just has to deal with a little fluff around) and am back to not buying flies. You got all of that?

I marked the mood choice.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The flies that I tie will never be mistaken as "store bought", but I have this thing about only fishing with flies that I've tied myself.
Even flies that I've gotten in a swap or been given just go into the desk drawer.
.... and that's been about 40 years now.

planettrout

Reaction score
I started tying flies in 1974, just before I started fly fishing. Every once in awhile, I will purchase a couple of fly patterns for the purpose of taking them apart and determining their construction. I bought a couple of KG's streamers for my son up at the Slide Inn in September because I generally don't tie his streamer concoctions. That big sucka', in the middle below, cost $12.95 :p:

PT/TB

jfh245

Reaction score
Tying is a great winter pursuit when it's just too cold to hit a stream. I was decorating our Christmas tree with my wife today and took some left over tinsel upstairs to my tying room...........tied some #18 bead head nymphs using it as a base after some .15 lead wire then finished them off with different colored dubbing, micro wire, and spots. Dipped a couple in water and they flash like crazy. Can't wait to use them on a stream.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I tie when I get the chance, and I need a break from work. However, I have so many flies in so many boxes now I only tie a dozen of one pattern at a time and I am good. Occasionally I buy flies at a shop just for the heck of it and I occasionally order some from Jerry, because I believe in him and his cause. Got to remember to do that again soon. This post also reminds me I have to find some black wool to tie some upper sac river style black bombers for next spring.

Regards,

Tim C.

knotjoe

Reaction score
I am and have always been an always guy. Over the course of my life, my grand total of flies bought is still at less than a dozen. Never fished any of them, just bought them to look over and take apart for learning.

Tying is just part of the flyfishing thing for me, much it due to having grown-up around others who were heavily into tackle craft of all sorts. I don't tie anything impressive, probably not even considered good or well rounded in my talents, but the functionality part as it pertains to my fishing is strong.

Different sizes, different weights, same size/different weight...you know the need, I'm a dial-it-in fishing presentation guy and on my waters it works. Tying is the only practical way to do this the way I like. That and the serious lack of functional weed guards/rock guards on many store-bought streamers make some ability at the vise a necessity. I like to choose my hooks and brands here, not trust someone else's choice of chassis.

Being a warm water guy in flyover country, I'm not exactly impressed with the durability level of most typical or traditional flytying materials against high catch rates, either. For example, 1 decent smallmouth means 7 chubs, 6 shiners, 5 longears, 4 rockbass...right on up to the effin' Partridge in a Pear Tree. Flies have to be constructed to handle wear and abuse from incidentals in-between the target species.

I might even take a hit on absolute effectiveness of material in order to get a bit more durability. The way of the vise is the only way for some of us.

Cigarsnjeeps

Reaction score
I am relatively new to fly fishing and have thus far chosen to purchase flies. Mainly for two reasons:
1. I have eye issues and even with a magnifying glass, it would place more stress on my eyes and I do that enough in front of a computer monitor all day.
2. I have too many hobbies already, lol. I'm sure tying might save money in the long run, but I can't do things partially. Ita either all in or not in....in other words, I would have to have an area for tying, all the coolest bells and whistles, etc......and then I might not use it enough to make it worth it.

I might pick it up some day to customize and fine tune when I get better at this craft, but for now, I'm happy using bought flies.

@cigarsnjeeps

pnc

Reaction score
Was tying jigs before starting fly fishing. Only natural to move to hooks.
Was almost dumbfounded seeing percentage numbers in other thread. Of those who tie vs those that don't. In some degree this affects actually catching fish. And the by far greater number of people. Are in fact handicapping themselves.
None of these people are going home or sitting down steamside and tying up what will catch fish. Instead they go to store ?
Many individual tyers exist that build good flies and sell them. Many will work with buyers, giving them what they want. And how wanted. Factory flies are another subject. Professionally tied means little if tied incorrectly.
Local fly shops are all saltwater oriented. An example of professional flies to not use. That all of them carry crabs. Round crabs. Round crabs do not sink right. When I or another bring Del Browns/Merkins into my friends shop, their gone in a day.
In practically every fly shop you'll find , Clouser minnows. Excuse me, Clouser Deep Minnows. Next time pick one up. If the thread wraps reach from hook eye to led eyes. It's not like , Bobs. In fact he makes a point of just this in his instructions on tying this fly. Thread gets no closer to led eyes than halfway on shaft from hook eye. Wrapping to eyes severely limits action of fly. When done correctly fly has scissor action when stripped. Opens dropping and closes to rise.
If one wants to save time looking to buy some. Call Bob !

.......... pc