Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which reel

Default Which reel

Have of late, through different events. Seen many new rod & reel owners. Opting for direct drive reels. Most of which are meant to be used in salt water. Which leads me to speculate as to the outcome.
    I have both direct drive & anti-reverse reels. Only 3 anti-reverse, smallest of which , Is used for 7w bonefish outfit. A 9/10w for nightime blackfin. And a 10w with gel-spun & 12w line for tarpon. See the pattern, thought fish would help.
    What sort of reel are you using ? And for what application ? Tempting fate or have scar tissue and still tempting fate ? I fit the have (both hands) & still.
    But wonder why at times. I really should know better by now.

......... pc

2. Default Re: Which reel

All my reels are direct drive. Anti-reverse mechanisms just add a layer of complexity that I can live without.

Most of the time I get my hands out of the way but every now and then I get rapped on the knuckles. Air turns blue for a bit.

Regards,

Trevor

Default Re: Which reel

I admit the three anti-reverse I have are all from years ago. All were purchased as best I could find at time for sizes wanted. Anti-reverse works different in all three. Two very simple, one has additional gear with clutch. None are complicated.
    And I have about another 17 reels that are all direct drive.
    It just makes me cringe when I see reels purchased by people with no clue. Newbies at friends shop.

........ pc

Been there, done that. I never did care for anti reverse reels for my (mostly) salt and warmwater fishing. Mainly because I always had other reels that weren't so going from one to the other got confusing. They also tended to be more complex and heavier.
    That said, I do still keep a few multiplying reels for bass bug fishing. I like the multipliers for getting big large mouths on the reel FAST ( before they get into the slop!) . (Dave Whitlock was a big proponent of multipliers for this purpose, BTW.)

No specific

Direct drive reels own 99.5 of the reel market-enough said
    CB