• Only when I’m stuck at work

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Not much, I have too many other interests

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

• When I’m on the water

• I don’t have to even think about it, it’s who I am.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • When I’m driving

• When my spouse is talking

• Other

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

karstopo

Reaction score
If I’m not actively fishing, I’m probably thinking about it. Sure, there’s stuff like making a living and chores and family time and worship, but in between and around all of that there’s fishing and thinking about fishing related stuff.

It’s pretty addictive this sport and I’m glad I’m not dependent on some substance like cocaine to get my fix. I’m not sure fly fishing is any less expensive than scoring with the local dealer, though.

I have to force myself to do other things like take in a movie or play a game or entertain friends, most whom also like to fish, just to prove I’m the master and not the slave, but some of the time I’m in doubt as to who is who.

So when is your favorite time to think about fishing?

powershooter

Reaction score
If I’m not actively fishing, I’m probably thinking about it. Sure, there’s stuff like making a living and chores and family time and worship, but in between and around all of that there’s fishing and thinking about fishing related stuff.

It’s pretty addictive this sport and I’m glad I’m not dependent on some substance like cocaine to get my fix. I’m not sure fly fishing is any less expensive than scoring with the local dealer, though.

I have to force myself to do other things like take in a movie or play a game or entertain friends, most whom also like to fish, just to prove I’m the master and not the slave, but some of the time I’m in doubt as to who is who.

So when is your favorite time to think about fishing?
Lol, I think about fly fishing all the time . As well , I have to force myself to stop .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dennyk

Reaction score
I'm 60 now and still get amped about fly fishing like in my younger days. Thank God some things never change!

Fun thread karstopo!

Denny

pnc

Reaction score
No favorite time for what which never leaves my mind. And it's getting worse. And since ...... second thought on since..... suns right, rain stopped, wind died, temps back to normal for a few days...... Now, gotta go.

....... pc

roadglideguy

Reaction score
Now...now...now and again...now! It funny I think more about casting sexy loops than I do catching a fish...putting a fly in that nice back eddy! I could really careless about catching a fish! Sometimes catching fish gets in my way of fly fishing. I think about being on a river all the time! Its like Tai Chi for me...my alpha waves seem to kick in and I am at peace!

dillon

Reaction score
I used to think about fishing and fishing related stuff way to much. However, as I age, I have come to understand the importance of a balanced life. So, now I try to divide the fishing thinking time equally with the time spent thinking about those other "basic needs..."

npike

Reaction score
I haven't fished since December 10, only saw two little fish rise that day and felt bad after catching them. I'm going crazy! Reading this forum and watching golden dorado videos on YouTube all day. Fantasizing about the tropics, wondering if Method 690 isn't the perfect Christmas Island flats wading rod, or maybe the 790, and pairing them in my daydreams with the Nautilus CCF-X2. Maybe next year. But February is coming and the midges...

brownbass

Reaction score
I don't believe I think about fishing all the time. There's getting ready to go fishing, tying flys to go fishing, watching videos about fishing, watching videos about tying flys to go fishing with. Maintaining the vehicle so I can go fishing. Who's available to go fishing with me? Or, do I want to go solo and hope I don't fall down and break a hip or have a heart attack climbing back up Cardiac Hill. I actually don't do Cardiac Hill, COPD don't you know. So, no, I don't think I think about fishing all the time.

Bill

knotjoe

Reaction score
Even when I'm on the potty. :D
I was gonna say that just to be a (very honest) smarta$$. Happens all the time, it's just a good seat to ponder from.

I had to pick the first choice on the poll, being a flytyer it's pretty near impossible to clear the mind of piscatorial thoughts for long. No matter where one is, there's always potential material somewhere in the visual.

Could anyone here imagine what it would be like to look at a Mayfly or Winter Stone, not know what it is, and not be thinking about fishing? That would be strangely foreign to me, once one knows it cannot be "jus sum bug" ever again.

To drive over a bridge and not peek down for a moment, perhaps even slowing to check for signs of life in the water? Same for "dimple checks" on retention ponds and roadside bodies of water? Not possible.

For all it entails, to not think of fishing or not have my thoughts and living experience influenced by that related to fishing would be a lesser and perhaps somewhat dismal existence. Fishing, especially flyfishing, is huge in the way it enriches a life and enhances one's appreciation for so much beyond simply catching a fish.

We're a fortunate folk, to be certain. Sometimes makes me wonder what it's like to be a non-angler and what it is they're thinking about all the time.

mikechell

Reaction score
I voted "other" since there's no particular time. I am pretty "one track" type of person.
My mind is almost always on the task at hand. Meditation in my younger days paid off with a very focused mind now. I'm not boasting about it, just saying. I.E. If I am mowing grass, then I am focused on mowing grass ... If I am driving, I am driving (phone's turned off) ... my mind doesn't wander off.

That said ... anytime I find myself without a task, then fishing, or tying flies for fishing, crops up pretty easily.

bigspencer

Reaction score
Late Winter, like NOW till ~late April... Nothing puts the brain on overdrive like days of being bottled up in snow & ice...

brownbass

Reaction score
I am kind of ashamed to admit it but I think about fishing or tying flys pretty much most of the time. Sometimes even when my favorite girl is talking to me.

Bill

hogwild

Reaction score
I know that this is an older poll, however I was asked a few days ago about how much I love to fish and my answer was this, “every time that I see a body of water, be it a river, stream or pond I start thinking about what kind of fish may inhabit it and where is the best place that I can fly fish from”. So, my answer is all the time. I’m a self proclaimed fly fishing junkie. This is my crack.