Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14

View Poll Results: Fly fishing, advantage or handicap?

Voters
47. This poll is closed
  • Always at an advantage

0 0%
  • Mostly an advantage

10 21.28%
  • Toss up

6 12.77%
  • Mostly a disadvantage

7 14.89%
  • Always a disadvantage

0 0%
  • Depends on species, mostly advantage

10 21.28%
  • Depends on species, mostly disadvantage

9 19.15%
  • Other

5 10.64%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Fly fishing is an Advantage or Disadvantage?

Mostly.
    The way I view this topic is, if I needed to put food on the table. By FAR, I can catch more fish with a fly rod than with any other method of fishing.

Bass, I'm going with a baitcaster and soft plastics. If I don't catch anything, then I always go to a fly rod and save the day catching whatever hits. And that's the key. Fly fishing ... I WILL catch something. Any other method of rod/reel fishing is 50/50 whether I catch anything or not.

2. Default Re: Fly fishing is an Advantage or Disadvantage?

This is kind of interesting - spinning rod vs tenkara:

As a new fly fisherman in my infancy I would have to reflect what others have said, it depends on your skill level. Practicing in my backyard and a session with a coach gave me some confidence in my ability. Until....I actually got out on a stream and I caught more trees and limbs than anything else. I was really wishing I hadn’t left my spinning gear back at the camper!
    After that experience I can’t help but wonder”how in the hell do you fish a stream with a 9 ft fly rod where you not only need open area in front of you to cast, but you also need that same space behind and above you!
    Fly Fishing for me is definitely a disadvantage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
    As a new fly fisherman in my infancy I would have to reflect what others have said, it depends on your skill level. Practicing in my backyard and a session with a coach gave me some confidence in my ability. Until....I actually got out on a stream and I caught more trees and limbs than anything else. I was really wishing I hadn’t left my spinning gear back at the camper!
    After that experience I can’t help but wonder”how in the hell do you fish a stream with a 9 ft fly rod where you not only need open area in front of you to cast, but you also need that same space behind and above you!
    Fly Fishing for me is definitely a disadvantage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9’ rods are a pain when there’s no space. Get you a glass 7 footer or so and it will make fly fishing in tight conditions a lot more enjoyable.

5. Likes smoke33, ia_trouter liked this post

In my case?, definitely an advantage, not because of numbers of fish caught but rather for my sense of well being.
    With a fly rod in my hand, and on auto pilot, I'm on another plane of consciousness altogether. In the moment, the world seems to slow down and yet the day is gone all too quickly. Even after 50 years of fishing there is nothing that can compare, and the excitement and anticipation before a day on the water never fades.

7. Likes cpowell liked this post

A biased question for sure on a fly fishing forum. In the hands of the right person.....it is a deadly tactic. However, I still feel that on most days a good spin fishermen can out fish a good fly fisherman and can catch larger fish on most days. Fly fishing has its advantages in certain perspectives....but not overall.

There are some pretty large differences that if you combine them all up....and sway the pendulum away from fly fishing winning the "best method" trophy in my opinion.

Fly fishing..........

- a basic fly fishing setup is more expensive than a spinning rod setup.....although this is debatable
    - requires more practice to be proficient than a spinning rod setup
    - can't cast as far as with a spinning rod
    - requires more effort during a days trip w/ casting
    - requires more room
    - is more complex with rigging (backing/lines/leaders/tippet), techniques (tight line, swinging, indy, dry fly, stripping, etc), flies
    - requires a more thorough understanding of various insects/bait fish
    - more knots must be learned
    - drifts are shorter and not as drag free
    - can't fish windy conditions as effective
    - can't fish deep as effective as with a spinning rod

These rules are not all encompassing across all species.......but hold true for trout, steelhead, Salmon, bass, carp, muskies and other warm water species in my experience. Saltwater.....I'll have to defer to the experts. But it seems to me the learning curve with a spinning rod vs. fly rod are not equal either.

Hank Patterson sums it all up:

Last edited by flytie09; 04-14-2018 at 08:36 PM.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Blog Entries

Yes, there’s nothing scientific about this poll. I was just looking for people’s perceptions.

I know I’m biased towards fly fishing, at least fishing in shallow water. I do have a lot of experience casting lures with low profile baitcasting gear. One trouble with those is the lure can only get so light before it becomes too light to cast. There’s an inherent lack of finesse in that and it works against getting takes at least some of the time. It’s really easy to buy or tie a shrimp fly that’s 1.5 or 2 inches long to mimic the actual forage but it’s real tough or impossible to find one that size that can be cast well and presents well using a baitcasting or spinning set up.

Just like cold-water trout of all sizes often key on midges and other tiny insects, the same is true for redfish and others in that they focus on relatively tiny crustaceans and fin fish because those are often the most available food sources. Nothing else comes close to a fly rod in all its sizes and forms for the potential of presenting lifelike little forage species in a manner that most resembles life and ultimately deceives the predator fish to eat.

Toss up. I fish mostly smallies and some pike. Beginning of the season when the fish are near the bottom and not super active spinning gear wins by far. I can get the lure low and keep it there as long as i need. Once they become more active and eat in the mid/upper column both methods are very effective, but fly has an edge. I do not have to reel in line to recast which I think is a great advantage. Im talking stricktly moving water. On lakes I rarely use fly gear, but i also rarely fish lakes.

As posed, it's an apples to fast food comparison. Most fish will actively seek out a worm, if they see it/smell it, not so much with a fly IMO. A stealthy Quiet (if done right) & overall better presentation would go to the fly fisherman, which "generally" will be older & have more skills/knowledge than Opie Taylor with a worm. Hand Opie a fly rod & he will likely catch only trees, until the skill is learned. OVERALL ADVANTAGE, OPIES WORM.

12. Default Re: Fly fishing is an Advantage or Disadvantage?

This thread got me thinking about competitive tournament fishing. Are there "open" tournaments where anglers can use whatever tackle they want? Do any fly-fishers do Bassmasters or that sort of thing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast