Floating line... WF or DT

Rip Tide

Reaction score
What your preference in a floating line?

1. Weight forward -Rocket Taper
  2. Double Taper all the way
  3. Depends
  4. Double taper... what's that? never tried one
  5. Old skool....level line for me
  6. Shooting head/ muliti head system

mikel

Reaction score
I use wf lines on everything bigger than 3wt and use dt on my smaller rods. I don't cast them as far (to use the advantages of the wf) so I get 2 line usages for the price of 1.

Other than using a dt line twice, I see no advantage to them over the wf.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
WF on all of my lines. I was going to get a DT for my 2wt however the belly is so long on the wf that I have, it works just like a DT would on small streams but I can still lay out plenty of line in bigger waters like the Farmington.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I've cast WF lines of different configuration on all of my rods since around the mid 80's. Recently I purchased an older Martin 67SS-A reel on ebay to fit on a beautiful old Browning 'Silaflex' 7' 6" 5/6wt, the reel had a new (old stock) S&A Aircell DT 6wt line. After attaching a leader I took my new rig to the lawn for a tryout, didn't expect much from the short, old glass rod and DT line........Boy was I in for a surprise, short/mid range cast were an absolute joy, and it was hardly any effort at all to toss nice tight loops 75'-85'. Not sure if it was the older glass rod, the line, or maybe the combination of the two, but I look forward to actively fishing with this rig in the future.

As soon as the chance comes to put the DT line on a good graphite rod like my Loomis IMX 8' 6" 6wt to play around with I will, and if the line performs equal too, or better than it did on the old Silaflex, I'll be adding a few DT lines to the arsenal. Dependent on the fishing situation, there certainly can be advantages to the use of a Double Taper.

mcphoto

Reaction score
I always thought DT lines were old school and just for old guys, but I've realized how much a DT line can help if you are a dedicated nymph fisherman. Put that on a stiff rod and mend mend mend!!

ricksrods

Reaction score
I enjoy wf lines much better than dt any day of the week.Sometimes action of the rod has a lot to do with it.seems like fiberglass rods react muck better to dt lines. thanks rick

dabluz

Reaction score
I have a preference for WF lines because 99% of my fishing is on lakes so mending the line is not necessary.

For flowing water conditions where mending is a necessity, I will most definitely use a DT line and maybe even use a larger size line for the situations where most of my casts will be short.

standman

Reaction score
For most freshwater fishing I use a fiberglass rod with DT. I've the habit of having too much line in the air and DT seems to compensate. In addition, 70-75 feet is about as far as I generally want to send it.

sean_k

Reaction score
I tend to use WF more fequently however, DT lines have their place in my arsenal. I shy away from the super fast ubber cool rods that everyone seems to want these days so DT works fine.