• No, no interest and here’s why

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dennyk

Reaction score
Our "club" is very informal, just a bunch of buddies that get together every Tuesday night for pizza & beer. Some of our efforts promote Schremm's Trout Unlimited and either creating or assisting in their youth and stream restoration programs. These guys are all top notch bamboo fly rod builders, they are still trying to recruit me, maybe this winter. The information is invaluable as far as places to fish and techniques. We are all pretty generous with flies and other gear if someone is in need. Myself and another gentleman are the only 2 fly tiers there so let the bartering begin. Fun evenings.

Denny

brownbass

Reaction score
The club I belong to is more informal, The guys that started it belongs to the same church and prefers to call it a fellowship. we don't have regular meetings. We do have Stream Team, perform some public services working with inner city and sick youth, PHW and the like. They have fly tying classes and now get together to improve our casting A badly needed meeting for me. We meet on the water when we can. It is more of a get together of friends, a lot of like-minded
friends.

Bill

clsmith131

Reaction score
I don't, I'm too busy. I'm sure I could benefit from it, maybe one day...

dwtalso

Reaction score
I belong to New Mexico Trout and Trout Unlimited (Bosque Chapter). Both are very much conservation/education oriented. I used to attend NMT meetings all the time but issues with leadership have caused me to miss few this last year. When the forests are open in the summer NMT works on stream restoration projects that I very much enjoy.

The Bosque TU chapter meets, I think, but I've always had trouble finding information and I haven't been very motivated to find them.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I belong to the Connecticut Fly Fisherman’s Association and have (on and off) since 1978
Meetings are a little better than an hour away so I don't attend as often as I'd like, especially in the dead of winter, but I attended this past year more often than I have in other recent years.

High on the list of positives for me are the seminars and slide shows.
Over the years we’ve had guest speakers like Lefty, Ernest Schwiebert, Dave Whitlock, Jack Gartside, Tom Rosenbauer, Gary Borger, Lou Tabory and George Daniels among countless others. Gary LaFontaine was a life long club member
I've greatly benefited from tying instruction from guys like Bob Popovics, AK Best, Dan Blanton, Bob Clouser and Don Bastain.
Over the years, much of my gear has come from club raffle prizes, Reels, rods, lines, gadgets, much of my tying material, many many books,..a big screen TV :D.. You name it.

But truthfully, fellow members are the greatest resource. Some of these guys have been fly fishing forever.
One member will be 100 years old on his next birthday.
You regularly run into folks that you know on the water, and many of them are so experienced that you'll pick up a tip every time you watch them.
You've got questions about a fishing spot that you're planning on visiting ?
Someone's been there and knows the answers.

There's causes to support.
Political, educational and service projects to get involved with.
Some very important, some a lot of fun, others you might not agree with.
And not everyone gets along, but mostly it's a large group of like minded folk.

Well worth the effort, don't you think ?

Past club president Bruce Rich with record Albie

Last edited:

Kyo

Reaction score
Here in Billings, MT we have the Magic City Fly Fishers which meets first Tuesday's 7PM at the Rod & Gun Club just west of the Airport. Meetings happen September through June as we do not meet in summer. All are welcome and you do not have to be a member of TU but it’s certainly encouraged.
Yes we have quite a few women participating.

Usually the meetings will start with a fly tying demo followed by club business and a guest speaker. I work occasional nights so it’s been tough to attend regularly last couple of year. We used to do an annual Expo as a fund raiser but believe it’s extremely difficult to pull off and make money so we've switched to an annual banquet. That supports our local conservation and youth fly tying classes held at various Billings schools. We’ve had local guides share their knowledge as well as regional favorites like Bob Jacklin have attended numerous times.

Magic City Fly Fishers | Billings chapter of Trout Unlimited

Magic City Fly Fishers | Billings chapter of Trout Unlimited

The Magic City Fly Fishers chapter of Trout Unlimited was officially organized in 1990 and it’s one of thirteen Trout Unlimited chapters in Montana and currently has over 600 members. MCFF is a non-profit organization, governed by the Chapter By Laws that were approved when it was first organized. MCFF also publishes a monthly newsletter, The Hackle Bender.

MCFF has been a really good source of information for both beginners and advanced anglers
and I highly recommend it. While I’m not a fly tyer (Yet!) I have also benefited from listening the these folks tying flies and sharing how and when they fish their special flies. This is an all-volunteer effort.

The club is also a good source of information about local fishing conditions and keeps a watchful eye on those who tend to reduce our fishing access for what ever reasons.

-k-

Last edited:

olsaltydog

Reaction score
I joined to Local Project Healing Waters Chapter. Good group of guys, very lax environment but got some great guys that will show you casting and lesson out back behind the building or you can sit inside learning to tie flies. They just mentioned a fishing trip next month to a river just north of us for Stripers. A couple also went to a fly casting clinic two weekends ago that emphasized the casting techniques of Joan Wulff, so this past meeting we spent most of the time learning what they learned and trying to implement that. I like it and wish we also had a local TU chapter but probably wont find one this close to the coast.

spm

Reaction score
From 1928; I joined when I was 14.

'Road' my bike the 12 miles to down town Seattle and someone would toss the bike in the back of their truck and take me home. (Mom appreciated that!)

Steelhead Trout Club of Washington
Uh, are you sure about those dates, Fred? If you joined in 1928 at the age of 14, that would mean you were born in 1914 and are now 104 years old.

steve

COTater

Reaction score
Years ago I was but I quit the club because of the people, some of the people anyways.

It was comprised of a load of pretentious people that had all the money in the world and would brag a lot and another large group of traditionalist types that would snub you if you didn't use bamboo and fish 100% dries.

Don't get me wrong, there were great people there as well but the majority kind of ruined it for me.