Favorite number of rod pieces?

Favorite number of rod pieces for transport?

• Total voters

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
So what is your favorite number for a breakdown rod pieces?

idabelangler

Reaction score
Two or three piece rods are my choice. I guess you could get by with a four piece fly rod but anything more than that would be way too much nickel silver for a decent rod. In fact it wouldn't really be a fly rod just a nickle siver stick with bamboo trim. :shocking:. If you are refering to those plastic imitation sticks people pass off as fly rods then I really don't have a preference. :tongue: :tongue: :teef:

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've been a 3pc rod fan for a while, but I feel myself drifting toward a preference for 4pc rods.

I think 3 pc rods are the best blend of portability and less joints. I agree that fly rod manufacturers have figured out how to make multi piece rods that have the same action as a 2 piece, but you can't get around the fact that more pieces means more possible places for the rod to come apart, and added weight. Added weight is necessary because the seperate pieces of a joint is inherently weaker than an unjointed blank, so it requires extra material to be as strong. The added weight may be less than a half ounce, but it can be enough to make that really light reel you want not balance the rod, or to be more tiring at the end of the day.

Four piece rods however break down to a still smaller portable package, and offer the option of pulling them apart in the middle to more easily be stowed in your vehicle when moving to a different spot, or put into a 2pc case/tube. You also will more likely have the option of putting the thing into a duffel for travel. (still not sold on this idea personally, but might be some day.)

freeze69

Reaction score
having only the 3 rods i can say for sure that i don't like my 2 piece(my el-cheapo). would have to go with the 3 piece. don't really like the 6 piece. just seems like it takes for ever to put it together and take apart.(haven't had any problems with the joints coming loose yet) unfourtantely haven't been able to try out the new 3 piece though.(very cold weather or snowing)

Snuffy

Reaction score
:starwars:

Up here on the Oregon frontier where it is necessary to
pack into many of the rivers and lakes, I prefer the 4 section
rod. Fits well in my ruck along with the other equipment that
we all like to tote. This may not be politically correct, but,
Merry Christmas to you all.

Snuffy

Curtis

Reaction score
Snuffy said:

Snuffy
Who cares about being p.c.??? certainly not me and I would in turn like to send out a big old

merry CHRIST-mas!

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Snuffy said:

Snuffy
Actually it is very PC. It is those that find that offensive that arnt PC.

Jakeway

Reaction score
I like the four piece best; it packs nice when I take it down, but when I want to leave the reel and line on and break it down for a short jaunt or drive to the next stream, I just take it apart in the middle and it becomes a 2 piece. I bought a 3 piece rod on sale a few years ago, and I almost sold it later because when I left it strung and took the tp piece off, the tip didn't come all the way to the reel and it sort of flopped around. I'm so glad it didn't hit the reserve price on eBay; now I realize that as a rather stiff 6 weight, and only 8 ft long, it works great on streams for smallmouths. It handles my 7 weight sink tip lines and/or weighted smallmouth streamers just fine for the shorter casts involved, and it's a lot lighter and easier to cast than my 7 weight 9 ft Orvis rod.

bonefish41

Reaction score
never have been refused carryon 3 piece used to carryon 2 piece nine footers

STARMedic

Reaction score
Started out last year with a 4pc set up and havent looked at anything else. The rest of my quiver is 4 pc rods as well.

Bruce

jdgrubbjr

Reaction score
The rod that I find that I use the most in packing situations is my Winston LT-5-piece 8'9" 5-weight. The tube length is 24" and it packs well for my backcountry trips.

hardhat

Reaction score
I fly to different areas two to three times per month. I prefer the 4 pc for carry on and security reasons. When hiking in the local mountain waters, I will take a 4pc or a short 2pc.

dguss

Reaction score
I just bought a 2 peice, and I'm a rookie, so my input isn't anything. I'm just amazed at how light my fly rod and reel is compared to my baitcast rod/reel!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
All of the rods we have are 2 piece, I drive to my destinations and have had no reason to have anything different because I have never travelled out of the Country to fish, if I do eventually go out of country then I would think a 3piece would be sufficient.