Indoor Fishing?

Would you fish in an indoor created river system?

• Yes

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Maybe, if the weather was extreme

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just joined the board today to collect some research from my fellow fly fishermen/women. Thank you all and feel free to post comments as well!

jclampwork88

Reaction score
I would join the fun. I also rock climb and we climb in the winter time in gyms. I think that it would be a sort of training area when you don't have alot of time to go out. It would be nice in some of the big cities where there isn't alot of rivers/lakes available

John

jclampwork88

Reaction score
I personally fish on the rivers all year round here in Utah, but I know that alot of fisherman will take the winter off. This would give them a chance to keep up on there skills during the cold months. Some people just can't handle the below freezing fishing.

John

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
That's the answer I'm looking for. I've got a pretty big idea but I just want to see what kind of feedback I get on it. I'm in Cleveland so a lot of people take the winters off here as well. I know I wouldn't mind fishing in a place that would get me out of the elements.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
:confused:
I voted no
Catching a fish is secondary to me to being outdoors enjoying nature.
I rarely fly fish in the winter, but when I do it's because I need to be out in the sunshine in a beautiful location
If I wanted to stay in, I'd take up bowling

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Blake,

Welcome to the forum. It is not my first choice of a place to fish for trout. But it would be a great training tool for beginners to learn from an instructor. It would be good for that Summer or Winter. A casting pool should be included.

Frank

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
Fair enough Rip Tide. I'm sure many people feel the same. As for me, even though I've lived in Ohio my whole life, I hate the cold. I shut the fishing down in the winter for the most part. In the fall/spring/summer, I'm out there every single day. I'd like to continue that in the winter months but I just can't fight the cold sometimes. I appreciate the feedback though.

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Frank! A casting pool is a great idea! And yes, lessons would be on site for the younger kids that want to get into the sport. Free of charge mind you.

MikeG

Reaction score
I don't think an indoor river system for fishing would be very cost effective. Your operating expense would definitely out weigh your revenue causing negative profits (especially if you charge and want to make it affordable). It would basically be like fishing in a fish tank. Where is the fun in that?

I live in a big city and my friends and I always have places to fly fish. Challenging to cast in but that is the fun part.

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
Thanks Mike! There would definitely have to be a lot of research to put into this before it would ever be put into motion. It wouldn't be a way of "getting rich", but of course it would need to pay the bills. The main point would be to open a family fishing recreation center for people in the northern states who may not otherwise be outside doing the outdoor activities in the winter. Thanks for the feedback.

MikeG

Reaction score
Thanks Mike! There would definitely have to be a lot of research to put into this before it would ever be put into motion. It wouldn't be a way of "getting rich", but of course it would need to pay the bills. The main point would be to open a family fishing recreation center for people in the northern states who may not otherwise be outside doing the outdoor activities in the winter. Thanks for the feedback.

I think Northern WI, MN, Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire are the only states I can think of where you cannot do much outdoor fishing in winter unless you are into ice fishing.

BlueDun

Reaction score
I doubt I would fish indoors. One of the things that attracts me to fly fishing is the connection with nature. I like being outdoors - rain, snow, whatever, I simply like being outdoors. This is probably because my work requires me to sit indoors all day and often into the evening (and do more paperwork at home). Thus, when I have time for recreation, the last thing I want to do is stay inside.

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
I agree with you for the most part Mike. We can have some pretty devastating winters up here in Cleveland though.

Blue,
I can completely understand where you're coming from. I too have an office job and I'm in there all day. That's why in the warmer months, when work's over, I'm out there everyday. I love to be in nature. Now take that nature, chop off 75 degrees, remove all of the foliage, and gimme just a tad of frostbite, and I don't know if I'd think twice about heading indoors. Ha. Just my take on it. Thanks for the feedback.

MikeG

Reaction score
I live in Chicago, last night there was an ice storm. Tell me about it.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
well first off I think its an idea that sounds good in some aspects, but I think like others you would have to spend way more money then you could recoup in the first couple years just to get going, then op expenses to keep the water moveing and the right temp would be big not to mention stocking and other things.
I think most people taht would have the money to pay what you would have to charge (jsut to stay afloat) would probaly have enough money to head south to fish in the winter. Now maybe you have some thoughts and info I dont have, if you find you may be able to do it i say go for it.
I dont think I would ever fish indoors, I think being in nature is alot of fishing. i may pay for a an hour to cast a new rod I got for christmas or a new rod I am thinking about trying, but that would be about it.
Do your research and if you think it will work go for it , you'll never live if you dont dream and I would hate to die with out tryimng at least once to live a dream.
good luck
Bear

MikeG

Reaction score
I like the idea of having a place in the winter that is big enough to practice casting. A good plan could be, you buy a warehouse use half of space for your casting/casting pool idea and the other half as let's say boat storage or lease it out. Your cash flows will improve that way.

I would love a place to practice casting in the winter and meet up with others and exchange ideas and such and techniques.

Joni

Reaction score
I am with John here in Salt Lake, and while I do fish year round, there are weeks that it is just to cold. I start having withdrawls seriously.
So bad I play pool, go bowling, but I am a game junkie also.
I use to Bow shoot at an indoor building and it was fun.....I think an indoor river/pool whatever with put and take fish, and maybe some trees and a little landscaping could be fantastic. Use it part time as a photo gallery LOL