Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  45

Poll: How Many Fly Rods Do You Own?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Default Re: How Many Fly Rods Do You Own

13 I think. I may have a couple more tucked away I forgot about. I need to take a look..

Redington Vapen Cork 8wt, 6wt, and a Redington Butterstick 5wt.

"Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe the 1 reason why it will".

This is a great question and poll. I want to play. I just got into the game about 3 weeks ago. Wanted to try something new from baitcasting so I started my foray into Fly.

(Backstory)-->I've been toying with the idea since last year in November, a local park in OK stocks trout and I finally contacted the park in question to see if they allowed fishing there. They do and it's been at the back of my mind since. I guess for the past 7 or so years they've always stocked trout I just never had the wherewithal to go for it and jump into Fly.

However, since 3 weeks ago, already I have 5 fly rods. I am new to this fly fishing scene and I didn't want to go all out and buy a really expensive rod as my first fly rod...let's call that lesson learned from experiences past.

I live right next to a Cabela's in N. Tx. and 3 weeks ago I walked in and was just looking around the fly department. They are having their annual "midnight madness sale" where the sales clerk in the department dresses up in a cooky outfit(s) (werewolf) trying to drive up sales. I don't know if this worked for all the other folks browsing but it worked for me so I got my first 2 then. They were Cabela's TLr series 9'0" 8wt 4 piece. I figured at the price they were selling it wouldn't hurt to have a spare. Then visiting a different Cabela's I ran into a Cablela's Theorem 9'0" 5wt 4 piece listed for less than $115 from there original price of $259 + I had a coupon for $20 bucks off $100 dollars, so, needless to say that came home with me too. See a pattern, I'm a sucker for SALES, DISCOUNT% OFF, CLEARANCE ITEMS...and the cooky outfit doesn't hurt either.

After, I got those rods, I sat at home in my closet thinking you know those will be great for traveling how about one that I could use here at home that was different from the current types of rods I have now and maybe easier to learn with... (mind you this is even before I had put rod/line to water). I wanted to try fiberglass and I noticed that Cabela's made a 1 piece glass in different wt's and decided on the Prime 7'3" 5wt 1 piece slow action. (Love 1 piece rod always have always will, if I could easily transport an 8'-9'-10' rod and they made them that way I'd be first in line to pick them up.) After I got that home I thought hmm, wouldn't it be nice to have a smaller glass rod for bluegills let's say 6'0" 3wt 1 piece. So, I went back the next day and picked up that one. Man that cooky werewolf outfit was making feel the madness.

Now, I sit here thinking, I need a Cabela's CZN 11'0" 4wt 4 piece just in case I want to push the snakes away from me when I'm casting in the water. (And I have, as of right now, caught a bluegill on my 6' 3wt glass rod this past weekend).

So, in closing this diatribe dear reader, I have taken you from my impetus to try Fly along the oh so many miles of hallowed grounds in Tx. chasing after my first bluegill (this past weekend) on my quest to save money on fly gear and in my ardor not to spend money on one expensive fly rod, I spent about the same amount on 5 different fly rods. If you do not wish to continue with me down this oh so convoluted road of Flying as I make my way down the same path as some of you have already taken before me, I do not blame you and can only say "Luck be with us all" as we try to float above the stream of insolvency. (Thank you Gene Wolfe, your words ring true today as they did so many years ago.)

Apropos, kidding about the cooky outfits, although I would have bought more if they did do something like that.
    Last edited by brus903; 10-04-2017 at 12:51 AM.

4. Likes plecain liked this post

6'6" 1/2 weight
    6'9" 3 weight
    9'10" 4 weight(DH)
    8'6" 4/5 weight
    9' 5 weight
    9' 6 weight
    8'10" 8 weight
    9' 8 weight
    9' 10 weight
    11' 7 weight switch
    another 11' 7 weight switch
    12'9" 7 weight spey
    8'6" 5/6 weight boo
    8'6" 6 weight boo

That makes 14... and I've only been at this for about 6 years By the end of winter I will have built two more as well... a 14' 8 weight spey, and a 12'6" 9 weight spey!
    Danny

6. Likes brus903 liked this post

I do love this topic and I certainly have nothing on Huronfly. At it 6-7 yrs and sticking to small-mid size waters at this stage it seems I have shown considerable restraint!!!!.

76 3wt
    86 5wt(my 1st/entry setup and looking for the right friend to give it to...give them a first taste!)
    9 5wt primary
    9 5wt backup
    96 6wt

I have slowly been upgrading the quality and range and will keep going!!

Blog Entries

10, evenly split between fiberglass and carbon fiber and ranging from a 2 weight up to a 10 weight.

One of the ten is at the tomato stake stage. The handle has disintegrated to being beyond unusable and the finish has disappeared, wore off, dissolved over large areas of the rod. I wouldn't possibly consider selling it, it's not worth the handling and postage, and I don't have anyone I dislike enough to give the rod to. I guess I could send it back to the maker and say "what the heck happened to this rod?" but I don't even like the model anymore and wouldn't want a replacement.

So really, my rod number is nine.

9. Default Re: How Many Fly Rods Do You Own

Between the wife and I, we have 18 rods. Will be buying her a 9 wt for our Keys trip in Feb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do I get to count the POS composite convertible 7' spin-fly I bought as a pack rod, fished once, and is still in my garage? I held on to it so no one else would have to try to cast that thing.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

I easily fit into the "10 or more" category. However, I really do believe the sweet spot lies between five and ten. Somewhere between five and seven single-handers depending on how many species you chase and two or three two-handers.

I think where it gets hard to stay between five and ten is for those who chase trout, steelhead & salmon along with multiple saltwater species.

Blog Entries

I have my bread and butter rods and gear that see 90% plus percent of the fishing time. While it's really hard for me to get away for an extended trip, I still want to have the rod, reel and gear that fits something, some opportunity that might come along outside of what fishing I normally do. That means owning more rods than maybe what's necessary, but I like being somewhat prepared for the rather sudden and desired "what ifs".

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast