Favorite Western Tailwater?

What is your favorite Western Tailwater Fishery

• Total voters

LocktownDog

Reaction score
Well jeez ... I've only fished two of those on the list. So I chose Green River as a default. Fish didn't bite much those couple of days, but the landscape was phenomenal.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I voted for the San Juan, I really like the scenary there and the fact that you can get out of the boat and wade fish. The Frying Pan is very good but you have the same issues with private land that you do on the Grey Reef section of the North Platte. I haven't fished the Green below Flaming Gorge yet, but that is on my list to do this summer.

Larry

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Personally, of the rivers listed, I've only fished the San Juan and the Snake River in Wyoming, so I don't think I should vote without sampling some of these other classic Western trout rivers. I will say that the San Juan has extremely heavy fishing pressure, which detracts a lot from its desirability to me.

KRD

Reaction score
having fished none, but i have been to lees ferry. So I voted it, plus it is the home water.

deomojo

Reaction score
Man pick one,?
I chose the green but thats only because I was there last. I grew up near the S. Platte and I now live a short drive from the North and the Green...
I'm fine with one wife, but my loyalties are much more fickle when applied to trout water.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Too many good ones to choose.

I have fished the San Juan the most but there are a lot of fly fishers to contend with. Never the less with a pontoon boat you can get good access but a lot of times the spot you want is taken by a guide. Beautiful water and beautiful fish. I had one of my best days ever on Texas Hole one day in June. The fish was bitting so good that we didn't have to leave the hole.

I started to fish Lee's Ferry because the San Juan was too crowded. The scenery in the canyon is gorgeous. The water is beautiful and has just about any type of water you would want to fish. The problem with fish hanging out at your feet is much worse than The San Juan. You have to have a boat to fish up river from Lee's Ferry. It too is busy but not as bad as the Juan. On one trip I caught the second largest fish taken from Lee's Ferry that year. It is number two on my list.

I like the Platte around Saratoga but there is too many access restrictions.

The Utah Green is a good river to catch fish. It is too much of a hassle to launch your boat. I have caught some nice fish here but just not my favorite. For walkers there is a trail along the river and you can walk up to good fishing. I caught a nice three pounder right at the first take out waiting for the shuttle to pick us up.

My favorite Trout river in the West has to be the Green River North of the town, Green River, Wyoming. There are some most Browns in sections and up closer to the Dam I have taken two five pounders from the same hole. There are no crowds and You have all kinds of access to the river. I have never caught a lot of fish at one time but there is always a chance to catch a big fish. So do to the lack of people, the easy access and some great fish, this is my favorite.

Since I fish alone and my accumulation of years, I find some of the bigger rivers in Montana too hard for me fish safely.

Frank

flyfishco

Reaction score
The Frying Pan would be my favorite because of your chances of catching a large trout for quite a few miles downstream, but i'm surprised the Yampa didnt make the cut, great tailwater, but still heavy pressure like all.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The Frying Pan would be my favorite because of your chances of catching a large trout for quite a few miles downstream, but i'm surprised the Yampa didnt make the cut, great tailwater, but still heavy pressure like all.
Now that you mention it, the Yampa should be on the list. I have only fished it once and didn't care for it much, mainly due to over crowding, it is real popular with the locals and it is a beautiful tailwater. I was there on a Friday and was totally surprised at how busy it was. I like fishing in a little less crowded situations.

Larry

flyfisher117

Reaction score
i miss montana...lived there and thats where i decided to start flyfishing cause of its rivers and wild trout but then just as i started to get good and know what im doing i had to move..so now im trying to find good fishing in idaho...only 1 river system that ive caught fish in...<:(

flyguy66

Reaction score
i just fished the "dream stream" section of the south platte in colorado about 2 weeks ago. i don't know if i should give a report or not, but i had to vote for the south platte as a result of that experience.

cromney

Reaction score
I'm with Frank, the Green River in Wyoming is my favorite. No crowds(other than wildlife), great access and nice fish. Sometimes, in some spots, I feel like I'm the only one that's ever walked or fished the area. I'm heading there next weekend.

For voting sake, I choose the Big Horn in Montana. I grew up fishing that water and it holds a special place in my ticker...

Clint

txbevo

Reaction score
I chose the Frying Pan as that is the only one of those rivers I have fished. Also, I prefer to wade and it is wade only on the Pan. I hit the Green Drake hatch for several days this year and it was a religious experience. Plenty of willing fish on big dries. I do want to hit all of the others at one point or another.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I chose the Frying Pan as that is the only one of those rivers I have fished. Also, I prefer to wade and it is wade only on the Pan. I hit the Green Drake hatch for several days this year and it was a religious experience. Plenty of willing fish on big dries. I do want to hit all of the others at one point or another.
Hitting the Pan or Roaring Fork during the Green Drake hatch can be some awesome fishing.

Larry