All I Want for Christmas...

gjcordray

Reaction score
What one item do you hope Santa Claus brings you for Christmas this year (other than peace on earth and good will toward men, of course).

I know we want it all, but what is at the top of your list? Specify the details in your post so the rest of us can be envious.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all by the way.

Gary

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This should be interesting Ray,

I took out the redundant post for you and then came back to reply. Want & need are two different things of course. I need nothing but it would be good to find a whole Blue Eared Pheasant skin tail and all at a low price ;) I have seen some pretty poor examples sell for over 130 dollars but I have a good supply and knew the skins I saw were not what I would pony up that much money for. I'm pinning hope on a fellow in Holland to come through for me.

Do I need this :) no but It would be cool to have more of these soft hackles.

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Not fly fishing and not exactly in the Christmas spirit, so be forewarned.

My father has advanced ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease ). His regular 24 hour caregiver has recently given up and moved off to resume a normal life. So for me, rather than being Dad's part time caregiver, I'm now on 24-7.
My dad's quality of life is zero. He's perfectly, mentally aware and yet can do nothing on his own. I won't go into that too much, but imagine if you couldn't speak, had absolutely no muscle control and had to rely on someone to do every little thing for you. That would be from feeding you and wiping your nose to.... everything else.

This may seem contrary some of your own religious beliefs, but I'd like my father's struggle to be over. It's difficult for us his children to deal with and be assured that he doesn't want to keep on the way that he is. I hate to say it or even think it, but if my father was able to pass on soon, that would be a Christmas gift for all involved
Hopefully I made my point without offending anyone or seeming too selfish or unfeeling. It's a struggle.,

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I decided to treat myself to something different. I have a set of Abel nippers in the Cutthroat Trout graphic coming my way. It may be overkill for a set of nippers, but it is unique.

Here is a picture of one in black.

My girlfriend is going to get me next year's fishing licence. I'm happy with that.

MP

ant

Reaction score
Riptide,

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I don't think that is unfeeling or selfish. My grandfather had severe lung cancer when I was in my teens, and he was in a similar situation at the end. It's hard for everyone, and I felt much the same as you do now. I hope your father finds the peace he deserves.

As for the OP, I've been eyeing up a rotary vice, no real particular brand. Or maybe go a little old school with with a nice boo rod. 8', custom made. Maybe an ivory rod seat, while I'm at it.....:)

boser

Reaction score
Rip, let me echo the same sentiment. It is hard watching a loved one suffer and I really wish no one had to go through it. I'll pray for you and him. Cherish your memories my friend and hold him any chance you get. My father was a big burly rough guy bit in his last days, I held him like I would one of my children.. I know it's tough. I'm sure anyone that has been in your shoes will not judge you. I know what you mean. It's hard, very hard to watch your hero in that condition.

Best Regards, Boser

Oh ya, I was going to wish for a nice set of finger guards but then someone posted those Abel nippers. Now I gotta have em.....

gjcordray

Reaction score
This may seem contrary some of your own religious beliefs, but I'd like my father's struggle to be over. It's difficult for us his children to deal with and be assured that he doesn't want to keep on the way that he is. I hate to say it or even think it, but if my father was able to pass on soon, that would be a Christmas gift for all involved
Hopefully I made my point without offending anyone or seeming too selfish or unfeeling. It's a struggle.,
Don't be afraid of offending people. Anyone who has been in your position will understand that your wishes are not selfish nor inhumane. I have been there myself twice. Still try to have a Merry Christmas.

I would ask Santa for a younger set of knees and an inflatable drift boat.

wt bash

Reaction score
Rip, I know what you are saying, I wish you and the family the best. That's rough stuff man.

As far St. Nick, hahah I'm on the naughty list!!! hahah Coal for me this year! If I had behaved I guess I'de ask for a Skookum Steelheader ten footer. See if I had that it would take my mind off building a new rod, guess what my other Xmas wish would be? Hahahah! I want the boat I NEED the blank/materials!

MacFly55

Reaction score
Rip .. I have not ever been faced with dealing with you situation one on one but have had relatives in the past that have suffered thru a long illness and eventually found peace at the end.. you and your family have my thoughts and prayers ... and no.. I am not offended at all..

as for the wish I had.. Id have to say one of two things.. or both.. :D

first would be to be in a situation where I could meet up with some of the members of this forum one on one so I could learn how to fly fish.. starting with Joni and Mojo..

the second would be to be to purchase a good Scadden boat to float some of the local waters.. I have done this in the past with a tube that a friend gave me but a scadden would be the ultimate ride.. :)

MacFly :cool:

O

okuma

RIP,
on Sept. 18th of this year, my dad died from cancer. I have no clue why, but I returned home a year ago. To spend time with him and my mom. I remember when he got really weak, actually praying God would spare him and take him peacefully. He did. You are not selfish. We are human. We love and remember what was once this person is no more. I too took a large part in feeding and bathing my dad. I have no regrets. I'm certain you will have none either.
As for wanting the ultimate Christmas gift....I found you guys on NAFFF. Merry Christmas all! Mike

Brewmaster

Reaction score
RIP,

I think your wish is EXACTLY in the Chritmas spirit - something for someone else who truly needs that gift. My father passed away in 2002 under the same kind of circumstances - our whole family felt that it was a blessing when it was over and he was out of his physical pain and mental confusion. I understand your wish, and will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers during this holiday season.

And regarding a gift from Santa? I would like a new pair of knees, but since that is not likely; I would be very happy to get the opportunity to take my grandson fly fishing for the first time.

FlyBum

Reaction score
Rip- Wow I saw my dad suffer and fade and he was/is the greatest man I ever knew and I miss him even greatly 10 years later, but I'm glad his suffering ended. I will pray Sir that your father's suffering will end.

In reality I'm not really setting my sites to high for Christmas, I do hope that I'll receive Gary Borger's new book 'Fishing the Film" it's the first of a new series that will be coming out. However, if I could ask for anything I'd ask for a Rotary Vise, but I haven't yet completely made up my mind as to which one I want.

JoJer

Reaction score
Rip,
Been there, I feel your pain.

Hoping for a spey line for my gift. Got the rod in Aug. Got the reel for my birthday in Oct. Really want to learn that rod!

Jimmie

Reaction score
Understand Rip, and bet he thinks the same. Gotta be tough when you were once so much alive. Best to you guys.

I want some new tennis shoes to work-out. I started working out so I can keep up rock hopping with the others this summer. Last year was risky, and slow.

bjweller

Reaction score
Going to sound mushy, but I would wish for another year of fishing as good as the last one with my good friend Gary. But I wouldn't mind out-fishing him once or twice!