How close is too close?

What is the minimum distance you should keep from other fishermen?

• If you can see me, you're too close.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 100 yards or more

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • 50 to 100 yards

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • 30 - 50 yards

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • At least one fishing hole away.

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • If you're not in my backcast, you're fine.

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gjcordray

Reaction score
We have all experienced the joy of having a river to oursleves, and we have all probably had a close encounter with another fisherman who crowded us just a bit too much. The question is, what do you feel is the appropriate amount of space to keep between you and other fly fishers? What is proper etiquette in this case?

Lambster

Reaction score
We do alot of guiding on our home waters with a Driftboat as well as wading, we like to give the other Anglers a good 75 to 100ft. I think common sense should be used in most cases but some folks don't know how to be kind or respectful! I see this all the time!
Lambster
GeorgiaFlyGuide

Jackster

Reaction score
It depends, I've gotten the evil eye when I came within sight of another angler out west yet stood shoulder-to-shoulder during steelhead runs in the midwest.
My rule of thumb is to treat others as you would like to be treated.

rag

Reaction score
Space should be where 2 fihing do not cast into each others area. But if a hundred anglers descend on a stream, then it will be elbow to elbow. That's why I avoid 'opening days.
A friend told me in England, you fish a pool and move through it while the next fellow waits to follow you. Then after exiting, you return along the bank to re-enter the pool for another pass. Kind of cool.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I don't really have a set distance. I've fished shoulder to shoulder with total strangers on some days and chased away some of my best fishing buddies with "accidental" casts on other days. One of the benefits of being bi-polar I guess:D

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Normally, I don't like to even see anyone else.
On small streams, if I drive up and there's an other car... I keep going.

On the other hand, if I'm fishing a blitz on the beach, I'll call others over to join in on the fun
:frogdance

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I think it has a lot to do with where you are fishing. Years ago I can remember fishing the Eel River in Northern California. It was shoulder to shoulder and only one or two fly fishers if any. There was a code that everyone fished. If you hooked up other anglers below you would wind in and you worked you fish below them. If you moved through it just happened. If you were slow moving through you might get a comment or two. After you passed below the line everyone went back to fishing. Your spot would be gone and when someone else hooked up the line would move down and you got back in line.

On other waters like Wyoming were there isn't as many anglers everyone just keeps clear of other anglers. I have a few rules I follow when fishing where there are others.

1. Always be cordial and friendly. Other anglers may be idiots but I don't have to be.

2. Always say hi and ask how they are doing.

3. Never get into the back cast area as you pass by. If there is not room then advise the person fishing you want to pass.

4. When passing a person exit the water and pass on the shore. I never wade up to or behind a person who is fishing.

5. If you pass by a person don't fish the next good looking spot. Save him some water to fish and move further up or down stream.

6. If you are catching fish and someone ask what you are using? Show him the fly and give them a couple.

7. If you find a great pool and someone is sitting on a rock smoking or just relaxing. Assume he is fishing that spot. Don't think it is open just because he is not fishing. He may be resting the spot or watching the fish.

7. If you meet an idiot just move on and don't engage them.

Doing these things has made my fishing more enjoyable. When you fish water elbow to elbow then then the best thing you can do is follow number 1.

glassroddr

Reaction score
Great words of wisdom Frank. Treat everyone with respect. Even when they are being a*&holes. I guess I am very lucky; in all the years I have fished my favorite spots, I only encountered another fisherman and he floated down by me in a canoe. One thing I do is choose which day of the week is best to find solitude. If I go,say on a Monday, I make sure to bring a garbage bag to clean up after the weekend crowd.

Marc.

jimw

Reaction score
I would say it all depends on the other fisherman, some people a mile is too close, and others shoulder to shoulder is fine!! the salt is a little different from a stream there is usually alot more space on a beach!!

gjcordray

Reaction score
Most of the water I fish in Colorado is, fortunately, excellent water. People schedule their precious vacation time to come sample our rivers and lakes. Unfortunately, that means having to get used to large crowds, and the occasional jerk that can ruin your day if you let him. The great news is, I only encounter about one jerk fisherman a year, and I do tend to let Karma do its trick and choose not engage them. If I am in a high mountain stream, some place that you have to hike into and earn your keep, I will give any other fisherman I come across a very wide berth - I respect their desire for solitutde. If I am fishing the Dream Stream on a Saturday in September, I expect one person about every 50 feet. In those cases, I try not to disturb the water as much, walk well away from the edge of the river when changing holes, and keep my voice way down (unless I catch a hog, then it is hard to contain the joy!).

Wyatt

Reaction score
If someone is already parked in an area I'll usually go on by a couple of miles, if I'm there already and someone comes by so long as we're not hitting each other and getting tangled up I'm fine with that.
Wyatt

Tomeybob

Reaction score
Here in the southern US we fish a lot from a boat with two people. If you happen to be the one in the front of the boat don't fish every likely looking spot, leave some for the next person.
If you should happen to come upon another boat, carefully go around them without disturbing their fishing.
I have encountered people, that if they see you catch a fish, they swarm around you like mosquitoes. When this happens I quietly go somewhere else.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Frank hits a homer with his suggestions...I like anyone else love it when I have a stretch of river to myself...Doesn't happen very often, so I live with fishing the crowds. I try to fish when most other people can't or won't; week days for the ones who still work, and nasty weather if the weekend is the only available time. Steelhead fishing most anywhere is not nearly as appealing to most folks when the snow is falling and you have to break some shelf ice to fish. When it is crowded, common sense and consideration goes a long ways. Talk to the people fishing an area, you will be surprised at the number of invites you get to fish a spot. Treat people as you would like to be treated. If you do run into a bunch of Yahoos moving in on you, chill; you're there for fun. Move on to greener pastures, or just drive them crazy catching fish after fish...LOL

Tight Lines,

Dan

fishosopher

Reaction score
Boy, this really depends on the situation. At Bennet Springs, MO on opening day, they're all lined up. (Goofy and I always skipped it, but many have a lot of fun.) But if I hiked in and there's a whole stream for a few people, then spread out.

MikeG

Reaction score
I just came back from fishing the walleye runs of the Maumee River in western Ohio, I know this is not fly fishing but it shows how crowded rivers can get during popular great lake runs. The Pike and Root River of Southeast Wisconsin almost look exactly like this in October. . Infact on those river sometimes it tends to be closer especially if you hook into fish.

This picture below is from the Vermillion River in Ohio, we also went steel heading. I found this great pool where I had a steel head on but it got free so three of us over a distance of 75 yards or so were drifting flies through it.

I do not mind fishing close to people I am use to it. But I am almost use to moving to a spot near people and catching their fish. Good times!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally distance is relative depending on many factors mentioned by others who have posted to this thread. When a run is on it is unlikely that I will be alone unless I'm deep in the bush here. Where I have a problem is if I hook up and must leave my spot on the water to land the fish and someone immediately moves into my spot and intends to keep it.

I have yet to be unable to evict the usurper from my spot but find it distasteful to have to tell someone that it's time to move out. I try to go so far into the rivers that I have a relative expectation of privacy.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Generally distance is relative depending on many factors mentioned by others who have posted to this thread. When a run is on it is unlikely that I will be alone unless I'm deep in the bush here. Where I have a problem is if I hook up and must leave my spot on the water to land the fish and someone immediately moves into my spot and intends to keep it.

I have yet to be unable to evict the usurper from my spot but find it distasteful to have to tell someone that it's time to move out. I try to go so far into the rivers that I have a relative expectation of privacy.
that's when I tie on a big, menacing popper on a 4/0 hook and let a casts "get away" from me. Works like a charm

swirlchaser

Reaction score
LOL...Swirl, you sound like my buddie Cubby...LOL Works wonders though...

Dan
Yes it does...
I actually enjoy fishing with others, especially strangers. I like to see what others are using and how they fish but every once in a while you run into a meathead or two...
Last fall I was fishing a local sandbar at low tide and I had the entire harbor to myself. Of course a guy wades in to my left and decides I have the best spot in the harbor and sets up right next to me. I said hello and even offered the let him pass me and set up on my right since I cast with my left hand and he was in a bad spot.
He walked past me, started casting and 5 minutes later asked me if I would please put out my cigar because he was down wind of me!!!!! All I could think was, is this guy serious? I puffed away like a maniac and 15min later I was alone again:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: