How many streams,creeks,rivers....have you already fished?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe another useless and silly poll but a funny one!This afternoon,I was tidying papers when I found a sheet with the list of rivers I had already fished:fishing:.As it was made many years ago I tried to complete it remembering all these places where I went fishing...and I found 58 names!:eek:I'm not sure I can do the same with the names of my girlfriends:icon_wink but I'm sure there aren't 58!:secret:
Ps...lakes and ponds are NOT included:icon_wink:icon_wink

MikeG

Reaction score
In IL I have fished almost every major creek and river from the Wisconsin border to Champaign, IL. Too many to name and that is only one state. I still got Wisconsin, Minnisota, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, Tennesse, and Ontario Canada to name. I have a life long list of rivers I want to fish oneday, at least 200 different rivers on that list.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've always felt that there were two types of fly fishermen
'Campers' and 'explorers'
Campers like to fish where they're comfortable. They know the terrain. They know every rock, every hole, every pool, and can probably call the fish by name.
Explorers get bored fishing the same places, they're never satisfied. They always need to see what's around the next bend. They'd rather get skunked than fish the same spot over and over.

I'm an explorer :rolleyes:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Jean Paul,

Your question is not silly at all but hard to answer while still hoping to be taken seriously. hundreds, a thousand, I haven't a clue, since I started traveling to fish in 1979 I have put my flies in as many rivers, creeks, lakes and oceans as I could in 46 states (USA) and 9 provinces (Canada) anything that swam was game.

Going by Rip's analysis I'm a bit of both, explorer & camper among other things.

Ard

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jean Paul,

Your question is not silly at all but hard to answer while still hoping to be taken seriously. hundreds, a thousand, I haven't a clue, since I started traveling to fish in 1979 I have put my flies in as many rivers, creeks, lakes and oceans as I could in 46 states (USA) and 9 provinces (Canada) anything that swam was game.:eek:

Going by Rip's analysis I'm a bit of both, explorer & camper among other things.

Ard
Sure a Casanova or Dom Juan (of rivers,creeks and oceans)like you can't answer this question:icon_razz

smith950

Reaction score
26 off the top of my head. 2-OK, 2-AR, 5-MN, 3-SD, 3-CO, 4-WY, 3-NM in the US and 1-Poland and 3-Slovakia last year on business.

Davec921

Reaction score
Ive only hit one so far.
An I got skunked. Only fished lakes an ponds most my life an that was with bait cast. Now Im learning to cast a fly half way decent.
I tried the auglaize river here in Ohio for about an hour. Not sure If river fishing is my cup of tea.

Here is a question for all of you. SOme on told me that the land owners on both side of the river own the land under the river. So in essence if you are wading you are trespassing. But not if you are in a boat.
Any truth to that. Sounds like a pain in the but to get permission from every one to wade a stream.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Here is a question for all of you. SOme on told me that the land owners on both side of the river own the land under the river. So in essence if you are wading you are trespassing. But not if you are in a boat.
Any truth to that. Sounds like a pain in the but to get permission from every one to wade a stream.
In general, that's true in the west, not so much in the east.
Different states, different laws.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
This is what I found

Ohio Stream Access

The most imminent problem currently facing Ohio steelhead anglers is loss of stream access. The majority of the land along Ohio’s’ steelhead rivers are owned by private individuals. Public water represents only a relatively small portion of available water. The fact that stream access laws vary from state to state serves to confuse matters and make this problem even worse. Anglers need to be aware of the access and trespass laws in each state in which they choose to fish. In Ohio, the law states that without the permission of the landowner you can only gain access to streams on public property. This includes property that is owned by the State of Ohio, county, municipality, or Park District such as Cleveland Metroparks (which offers 26 public miles of the Rocky River).

Landowners in Ohio not only own the stream banks but they also own the land under the stream. However, they do not own the water, therefore it is permissible to float a stream from a watercraft as long as you stay in the boat. Once you touch bottom or set anchor you are trespassing, unless you have written landowner permission.

Private landowners have the right to restrict stream access on their property for any reason, regardless whether or not the stream is stocked with steelhead by the State of Ohio. If you enter that property from the shore or the streambed without written permission, then you are trespassing and the landowner can choose to press charges if they wish.

If you wish to fish a section of privately owned river contact the owner first and ask for his/her permission. Owner’s names and addresses can be obtained from County Plot Maps. These are available at the local county engineers offices in the county seats of most local counties.

When approaching a landowner always be courteous and respectful. Explain that you would like to fish their segment of river and that you would plan to stay near the river bank as close to the water as possible. Point out that this is the only reason that you seek access to the property.

Many landowners will allow fishing, but not hunting and recreational vehicle (ATV) access. If permission is granted to access a property, make a point of establishing a long term, on-going relationship with the landowner. Stop and pay a visit from time to time and ask if he or she is having any problems with littering or with other anglers who are accessing without permission. Pick up trash along the river and let the owner know that you are doing so. If you fish the property regularly, make an effort to present the owner with a gift of appreciation at the holidays. A little generosity on your part will go along way towards maintaining the relationship.

If you plan to hire a guide to fish steelhead on private waters in Ohio, several questions need to be asked before a decision is made. Is this guide working for a reputable tackle shop or guide service? If you will be fishing on private property does the guide have permission to fish on that stretch of the river? A reputable guide should always be able to show proof (written permission) that he/she is legally allowed to bring clients onto that part of the river. Guided anglers must realize that if they want to return to that section of the river on their own, they must obtain permission from the landowner themselves before returning. Do not assume that just because a guide accessed the river at this point that everyone is entitled to do so.

These guidelines have been developed out of respect for landowners along our Ohio steelhead streams, as well as with the best interests of anglers in mind. Common courtesy must be practiced by all anglers in an effort to keep our streams accessible for years to come.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Good Question JBB...My answer has to be over a 100, and I would have to say I enjoyed most of them...

Dave, depends on the state regs; Ohio and Pennsylvania are like that.

Dan

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Rip Tide: UT and MT you can wade below the high water mark, but WY and CO the landowner owns the bottom of the river so you need permission, but like someone said earlier, it is always best to ask what the rules are when traveling to a new state to fish.

I didn't answer this survey earlier, as I have no clue on the actual number of streams I have fished (I'm 63 and been fishing most of my life).

Larry