How do you straighten leaders and tippets?

How do you straighten leaders?

• A rubber patch

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • A leather patch

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • The sole of your shoe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your fingers

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Just stretch it or pull it

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Other - What???

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dave5977

Reaction score
I have heard several ways to remove the coils from new leaders or leaders that have been on a spool for awhile. I use my fingers. What do you use?

Jimmie

Reaction score
I voted leather patch, but I'll also say it doesn't work very well. A friend of mine pulled out a piece of bicycle inner tube and did in one pull what had already taken me about five pulls with no change.

mojo

Reaction score
I voted "other". Don't need to straighten furled leaders. That's my "other".

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

You know I used the rubber faced leather gizmo sold as a leader straightener for many years when I started fly fishing. Then one day I read that it weaken the leader due to the heat it created. I bet it didn't make much difference to all those fish I caught with my weaken leader. I stopped using the leader straightener but I can't say it made one bit of difference. I now use my hands pulling the tippet or leader against my bent knee. No friction, I just pull against my knee.

Frank

jcw355

Reaction score
^^^^^^^I read the same thing about the heat weakening the leader. It's attached to a zipper and makes unzipping a vest pocket easier, thats it's only use now

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
I voted other because since going to super fluro and coated leaders, with it being so supple I have had no need to straighten it

When I use copolimer leaders for dry fishing I have used JP's method of hanging them from the roof, I used to streach them with my hands.

Chris

Joni

Reaction score
Other....furled leaders here..ZERO memory there.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never straighten tippets...I change them:Das for the leaders...either use a piece of washing up gloves or hang...( I've seen Chris adopted this method;))

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I voted other because since going to super fluro and coated leaders, with it being so supple I have had no need to straighten it

When I use copolimer leaders for dry fishing I have used JP's method of hanging them from the roof, I used to streach them with my hands.

Chris
Hi Chris,

What Fluro are you using that is so supple?

Frank

Davo

Reaction score
I just stretch em. Don't need more junk hangin from my vest. Plus it was the way I was taught by Dad 38 yrs ago. To late to learn new habits now!! :confused:

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

What Fluro are you using that is so supple?

Frank
Airflo leader I use some leaders similar to this type (didnt have the exact one on that site) they are coated and very supple range from floating to super fast sinking (6.1 ips). I dont use less than intermediate.

There is a guy that makes somthing similar to this localy for less they are even softer and suppler but dont last as long (it is a super fluro that is coated Im told)

I dont do any thing to my tippet material except for drys which I tie the tippet on and hang them with the leader.

Chris

GLuXuRy

Reaction score
I have the rubber flap thingy from orvis ... sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt lol ... im affraid to put too much pressure and heat on the leader/tippet ... so stretching it by hand with a buddy is best for me

caseywise

Reaction score
i put a dab of spit on the rubber and pull it once, not too hard, and it seems to work fine. tippets dont require much of anything but your fingers.

casey

chuck s

Reaction score
I used to have a leather patch with rubber glued inside but then found pulling on the leader and line does just as well for most of the time and eliminates a piece of gear I'll forget to carry anyway!

L

Liphookedau

What I carry is rubber flaps between leather outer flaps,also I use my fingers however over the years I like many others have bought leaders,tipits which are forever tangling, coiling & are hard to straighten,are rubbish whereas others are good,regardless of price.
I have found ordinary leaders & Fluoro Tipits the go as I don't have half the trouble,Frog Hair Mono is also good.
My main causes was either the quality or my method of storage,I wind the leaders into coils ,secure them with twist lok cable,keep them individually in small zip top plastic bags which solved the problems,another quicker method is to wind them onto a leader holder about 3" in diameter.
Also I have just started to use & test the Furled Leaders which don't get the memory effect.