Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

View Poll Results: Sight fishing vs. Blind fishing.

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sight fish/stalk, Dries or indicator

35 60.34%
  • Blind drift, dries/indicator

25 43.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Sight fishing or blind fishing?

If I could, I'd sight fish for everything, but a huge majority of the fish I catch are completely blind caught (except for casting to the occasional rising trout on a stream or something). It's just based on where I live and where I fish. Bonefishing, which is obviously entirely visual except for a few very specific situations, is easily the most fun I've ever had with a fly rod. It really makes me want to find more sightfishing opportunities here in Oregon, because it really raised the intensity of properly presenting a fly.

I would prefer to sight but picked blind as it accounts for more fish in hand. A lot of the water I am on is too deep/murky to sight fish well. the streams I can do it on I usually try to less avail. I suppose its a skill I will find myself getting better at with time
    -shawn

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'

I love them both equal! There is nothing like seeing the fish, making a good cast and watching it eat your fly. BUT then again I love getting slammed on a "Blind" drift!

Tight Lines
    Scott
    Its all about the strike.
    CATCH-n-RELEASE

4. Default Re: Sight fishing or blind fishing?

I LOVE sight fishing but find myself shooting in the dark more often than not. I sure envy the guys that have the luxury of fishing the Caribbean. What a way to fish.

It's probably the best when the Fish are Rising as you know they are feeding on something then you have to catch them,however it's a buzz when your are "Blind Fishing" when suddenly out of the Blue The Fly is Taken & there is a great eruption.

More blind fishing but do both.
    Okiemountaineer

I go both ways When ever I approach the water I do a stop, drop and observe until satisfied with my observations. It doesn't happen everyday but sometimes this pays off big, spying a trout laid up in still shallow water. Then it's GI Joe in slow mo...Gets my heart pumping just writing about it.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

8. Default Re: Sight fishing or blind fishing?

Depends on the water one is fishing.
    You'd be silly to try and stalk fish in a tailwater fishery with a depth of 5 to 10 feet.

Depends on the stream and the surroundings. I mostly fish blind in swift water. Fishing off landmarks that you think would hold fish. 90% of the time I find the gut feeling is right.

10. Likes patrick62 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123