Redington Predator

BigCliff

Reaction score
I was intrigued by this new series of rod that Redington developed because of both the overwhelmingly positive reviews they've received, the appealing price, and by the idea of a short stout rod intended to present big/heavy flies into tight spots. I went for the 6wt model because I expected to get the most use out of it for the fishing I do most often.

When the rod first arrived, I was impressed by its appearance and build quality. The caramel brown wraps with silver trim on the dark grey blank reminded me a bit of Scott's G2 rods, though the smooth blank has a bit more mainstream appeal. The cork felt great in my hand and when I assembled the rod and gave it a waggle, I was fairly sure I was going to enjoy casting and fishing it.

Next I headed out to the yard with both a 6wt and 7wt line and cast both. It was both smooth and powerful and seemed more adept at throwing different sized loops than any other rod I've ever cast. My natural casting stroke produced fairly large loops, but with minimal effort they became tight and pretty. I ended up liking the 7wt line better, but I'm realizing more and more over time that I just don't like that 6wt line I've used intermittently over a few years. (I've since gotten a recommendation from a SA rep for the perfect 6wt line for that rod and will report back on how that line performs on the rod.)

I fished the rod this past Friday, and was pleased once again. I headed out to a local river with more flies in my pack than Noah had critters on the Ark to make sure I fully tested the rods abilities. With the 7wt line, I cast everything from a size 14 ant to a 3/4" x 3" jointed foam popper and was able to place them precisely even at 70'. The typical accuracy talents of a short rod showed up as well, allowing me to hit tight spots with ease that usually doesn't come until you've fished a rod multiple times.

I was able to bend it against some fish, but nothing worth bragging about or big enough to really test its tugging abilities out. I fully intend to play at least one 2' fish with it in coming months and I'll continue to update this thread with how it performs.

Overall, I think Redington's 6wt Predator is a great tool for targeting fish around 5lbs with flies up to the size of a finger, and a great value as well at $200. Its a well made 4pc rod with a hard cordura tube and a great warranty. I paired mine with a Sage 1680 reel and a Rio 7wt Saltwater fly line. All of this is available from www.reelflyrod.com .

Last edited:

BigCliff

Reaction score
I asked for a line that was a half wt heavy, front loaded to turn over big stuff, would do well in the heat, but wouldn't become a slinky in February. His recommendation was their Redfish line. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ing/Products/FloatingFly/MasterySalt/Redfish/ (which I think he helped design)

Keep in mind that I do most of my fishing in South Texas, 1/3 or so of it in salt, and he knew that when making the reco.

Sep

Reaction score
I asked for a line that was a half wt heavy, front loaded to turn over big stuff, would do well in the heat, but wouldn't become a slinky in February. His recommendation was their Redfish line. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ing/Products/FloatingFly/MasterySalt/Redfish/ (which I think he helped design)

Keep in mind that I do most of my fishing in South Texas, 1/3 or so of it in salt, and he knew that when making the reco.
THANKS!!! Tht recommendation makes good sense. Let us know how it feels when you get to throw it. :thumbsupu

Sep

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The line recommended line by the Farbank rep (Farbank = Sage, Redington, Rio) is the Rio Outbound Short. Use the respective "labeled" line weight. Keep in mind that the 6 weight line weighs 235 grains, so it overlined already.

The Outbound Short is available in two types: Outbound Short and Tropical Outbound Short. Unfortunately there is not a Tropical Outbound Short in a 6 weight.

I had a feeling that the SA Mastery Redfish line would be his recommended line. Before Rio introduced the Outbound Short lines, I was selling the SA Mastery Redfish lines to guys taking their new Sage BASS rods to the Yucatan. The stock Sage line became a limp noodle in the tropical heat.

MP

fishosopher

Reaction score
I want to put a line with a short, fast sinking tip ( 10 to 15 ft., 6-7 ips) on a 6 wt. Redington Predator. Should I go with a 6 wt. or a 7 wt. line?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I want to put a line with a short, fast sinking tip ( 10 to 15 ft., 6-7 ips) on a 6 wt. Redington Predator. Should I go with a 6 wt. or a 7 wt. line?
It depends on how you want the rod to load.

WF6 (160 grains*) will load off the tip.
WF7 (185 grains*) will load more towards the midsection.
WF8 (210 grains*) will load all the way down to the butt.

*Grain weight measurements are from Rio DC15 Sink Tips specs.

I would go at least WF7 for the rod. More grain weight mass will help you throw those bigger bass flies.

MP

BigCliff

Reaction score
Its not a sink tip, but I'll be trying out a SA Sharskin Magnum WF6F this wknd and reporting on how it does. Its likely to be a match made in heaven.

(side note: the Sharkskin Magnum wasn't one of the lines I initially asked the SA Rep about, but to owner of my local fly shop talked me into it. When I told the SA rep that, he responded with: "It will rock your world, perform much better in the cold, and hold up to the heat")

Last edited:

BigCliff

Reaction score
Alright, here's the salt version of the review. In my opinion, if you can get away with a 6/7 wt rod to handle the wind and flies you need to throw in saltwater, the 6wt Predator is a great rod to swing. Sure an 8' rod may not cast as far as a 9', but for the fishing I like to do where you're making mostly 20-50' casts to sighted fish, its pretty perfect. If they're further out, you've gotta have perfect conditions and/or magical eyes to see them. If they're tailing, you can generally get to them.

It threw tight loops and put a quick whoopin on fish. Its appearance impressed a buddy of mine as well. When I pulled it out of the tube and said Redington, I heard "That's a REDINGTON, I thought it was a Sage." (For reference, this guy's flats boat is worth more than both of my household's cars, combined)

The 6wt Sharkskin Magnum line is a great match for the 6wt Predator. Its definitely heavy for a 6, so it loads the rod quickly and well. From a durability standpoint, I can't yet say whether Sharkskin is worth the additional 30%, but I'd say it does performance wise. Wow that stuff shoots like crazy.

Sep

Reaction score
GREAT REVIEW CLIFF!!!! Thanks for putting your Predator through it's paces and letting us know how it handles. I'm definitely sold on mine and will be chasing some smallmouths later this week with it.

Sep

fishosopher

Reaction score
OK, but it seems to me we still haven't answered the Smallmouth question. Here in the Twin Cities, MN, the salt water is a long way away. If I'm going north on the Missisippi, I'll probably take my 8 wt. But on the many MN streams that have good SM fishing, the Predator 6 wt. (which I think is closer to a 7 wt.) is perfect. I liked the idea of the SA 6 wt. Redfish line, because it's 1/2 overweighted. I could also go with a Rio 7 wt. Redfish, uping it another 1/2 wt. Both of these would throw larger flies for SM and get them out in a hurry. Which one would you guys go with?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't get either for use in MN. Besides the fact that both lines will get quite coily in water below 70 degrees, there's also the floatability factor.

Because saltwater is more dense than fresh water (due to the addition of Na and other heavy stuff), a more dense line will float in it. Saltwater lines are generally a bit more dense than freshwater lines because they will still float in the denser water, and the added density will aid casting in the wind.

If you want a line that will load up a Predator quick but still be reasonably pliable in MN conditions, I'd look at Rio and SA's bass lines. They're both made for warmer weather, but are still a freshwater line. If you're dead-set on a SW line, SA's Saltwater is made more for east coast conditions and wont turn into a slinky in the cold.

That SA Magnum Sharkskin is also a heavy line. It doesn't feel as heavy as these guys weighed it, but its definitely a half weight heavy- http://www.flyfishohio.com/Scientific Anglers Sharkskin Magnum.htm

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Alligator,

In one post you asked about a sink tip and then you mentioned a floating line for Smallmouth. Are you thinking about more than one line?

For a floating line the SA Bass line would give you a good head designed for tossing big flies. If you are fishing lakes it would be a good choice. If you are fishing rivers with currant you might consider the SA Nymph line it is a line that should be more popular. It is designed to cast flies with split shot and would be a good choice in a river with currant. It is an under utilized fly line with a long belly and would toss big flies well. Even the tip is a little bigger around to give more flotation. Its big strength is how well it mends with the long head. Go to the SA site and take a look at these lines. Down at the bottom of the page where these lines are discussed is a link to a data sheet that shows the tapers. The Nymph line is not a distance line but I don't think that is what you want. It can be used with some Spey types of cast because of the long head. Both RIO and SA make similar lines and both are top quality. With a sink tip SA makes many and its is just a matter of picking one you like.

If you are fishing Smallmouth more than likely the Saltwater lines would not be a good choice as Cliff has pointed out.

Frank

Last edited:

fishosopher

Reaction score
Thanks to Cliff, Frank and others!

I decided to go with a 7 wt. SA bass line and a 7 wt. sinking tip (6 ips). After casting the 6 wt. predator with a 6 wt RIO Grand I had, I decided to go with a 7 wt. From a kayak, I want to pop the cast out quickly and with little back cast. Yes, I did want both. I wanted to be able to get a fly to or near the bottom quickly on these streams, so I went with the sink tip.

I'll be fishing the Zumbro in SE MN on Sept. 22-23. It's my first time fishing a kayak on a stream, first time fishing for SM from a canoe or kayak and first time with this rig. I'll try to let you know how it goes.

Everyone's input while I worked my way throught the decission making process was extremely helpful. What a great website!

bbanking

Reaction score
I own a flats fishing guide service that operates out of San Muguel, Cozumel, Mexico. Until recently, my favorite rod was an older G Loomis Mega Taper GLX 8/9 weight rod, 8'6" in length. About a year ago, I received a Redington Predator 9 weight, 8'4" in length. I thought I would use the rod as a back up in the event of an angling emergency. A week after I received the rod I decided to give it a shot on Snook in a mangrove filled lagoon just south of Puerto Aventuras. I quickly discovered that the Redington Predator has great action, a smooth and light swing and a lot of guts in the bottom end. I especially like the 4 section configuration. The next week, I took the rod Bonefishing on Cozumel with the same delightful results. I have discovered that Cortland's 444 Lazer Line Tropical in 9wt Redfish taper is the trick for my casting style (I throw a lot of crab patterns, Epoxy Moes and Gurglers). The line is not effected by the warm water or the heat generated by the Mexican sun. The rod loads quickly and yields accurate casts in windy Yucatan conditions. I have no complaints and only praises for the Redington Predator. It is a bargin for the money and the Predator is now my "go to" rod. I noticed that it is marketed as a Bass rod but it is also a great flats rod...especially for Snook and Baby Tarpon that dominate the lush mangroves. Tom Martin, www.pescamexicana.com

mojo

Reaction score
Cliff, how do you think that rod would work out against the fish (trout) at Henry's Lake, Strawberry etc. The 6w rod with a 6 or 7w full sink line fishing out of a kickboat.
Or chucking big streamers in a river.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Mojo, I'll throw my opinions out there, but keep in mind that I have actually spent zero time fishing for trout with sinking lines on lakes from a kickboat.

I don't think its a very ideal stillwater rod for a couple reasons. Its length limits casting distance a bit, and unless you're doing nothing but sight casting to close fish, I would think you'd want a rod that makes booming long casts quite easy. I also wouldn't think you'd want such a short rod for sinking lines, given the need to put the line back on top with a roll cast before re-casting.

All that said, it is much less tiring to cast all day than a 9' rod with similar power, and will cast 85% as far easily, so maybe that makes it an ideal stillwater rod. You're the one with the stillwater experience, not me.

Chucking big streamers in a river is a situation where that rod can REALLY shine though. My 6wt with the 6wt Mag Sharkskin line will fling meat like an 8wt, no problem. I think the shorter length also is very adept to hit tighter spots where the toads may be hanging out. There's a couple of local rivers that are outside of the area I normally fish (not too wade-friendly) that are calling out to me and that rod: 40-90' wide, lots of trees and brush, and lots of big bass.

Two disclaimers: On a huge river where you're wanting to be able to cover the whole thing and know a 10' 7wt would be ideal, a 7' 10" rod obviously isn't ideal. Also, with the shorter rod length, a weighted streamer will be flying even lower during casting, so that should be kept in mind when thinking about driftboat or raft fishing situations.

mojo

Reaction score
Mojo, I'll throw my opinions out there, but keep in mind that I have actually spent zero time fishing for trout with sinking lines on lakes from a kickboat.

I don't think its a very ideal stillwater rod for a couple reasons. Its length limits casting distance a bit, and unless you're doing nothing but sight casting to close fish, I would think you'd want a rod that makes booming long casts quite easy. I also wouldn't think you'd want such a short rod for sinking lines, given the need to put the line back on top with a roll cast before re-casting.

All that said, it is much less tiring to cast all day than a 9' rod with similar power, and will cast 85% as far easily, so maybe that makes it an ideal stillwater rod. You're the one with the stillwater experience, not me.

Chucking big streamers in a river is a situation where that rod can REALLY shine though. My 6wt with the 6wt Mag Sharkskin line will fling meat like an 8wt, no problem. I think the shorter length also is very adept to hit tighter spots where the toads may be hanging out. There's a couple of local rivers that are outside of the area I normally fish (not too wade-friendly) that are calling out to me and that rod: 40-90' wide, lots of trees and brush, and lots of big bass.

Two disclaimers: On a huge river where you're wanting to be able to cover the whole thing and know a 10' 7wt would be ideal, a 7' 10" rod obviously isn't ideal. Also, with the shorter rod length, a weighted streamer will be flying even lower during casting, so that should be kept in mind when thinking about driftboat or raft fishing situations.
With a 9' rod, I normally throw out an average of 60' to 70' of line. But I'm also above water and at 6'3" I have some long arms. Usually after stripping the line in, it's a 20' pick up. ( I put a dab of UV Knot Sense at 30' and 60' so I know where I am with the line.) I have a Fenwick Ferrulite 5w that's 5'3" long I've used before. Not the best length for stillwater, but it's fun once in a while.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an 8 weight coming after seeing them at the Fly Fishing Retailer show in Denver last month. Hope to use it on some local pike in small waters here in the UK over the winter and then carp once the water warms up again next year. The ability to throw large flies accurately into small places should be perfect as well as the backbone to turn a hooked fish and get them out of the danger areas. Enjoyed reading all the above reports and am now even more eagerly awaiting the postman!
Paul

rustyhook

Reaction score
I thought I would revive this thread with a couple of comments and a question. I bought a Predator 6wt and have been searching for a line. I tried a Rio Clouser 6wt which has a 178 gr head. I also have a SA redfish in an 8wt which is a 225 gr line. The 225 gr line feels about perfect to me. I read somewhere that a Redington rep suggested a 6wt Rio Outbound Short which is about 236 gr., so I dont feel the 8wt line is too much.....plus I like it. Here's my question: I'm headed to Maine for a few days of small mouth fishing. I think I can get away with the SA Redfish line in the cold water. I'm not concerned with the floatability issue as Ive used the SA line in fresh water. What do you think about the cold water vs the Redfish line?