Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box Review

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Product: Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box
Price: $24.50
Retail Outlet: http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...d=758&group_id=792&cat_id=5135&subcat_id=6030

Manufacturers description:
Don’t waste time tying dropper rigs on stream. This ingenious box stores multiple pre-tied dropper rigs until you need them. It’s also an easy way to save old leaders for reuse or proper disposal. Five removable inserts, each of which can hold multiple rigs. Foam inserts for the barb, notches on the side secure the tippet. 4" x 7¼" x 1¼". Imported.

What is it used for?
The Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box is one way to save time actually fly fishing instead of tying numerous knots while standing hip deep in water. I prepare dropper rigs before stepping into the water. The Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box allows me to setup pre-tied dropper rings in the comfort of my home.

How durable is it?
The Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box is made of semi-clear plastic similar to that of a Tupperware bowl. Unfortunately, it does not seal as well as a Tupperware bowl. It is not waterproof as I learned first hand but it should be able to withstand most of the punishment that a ordinary fly fisher can dish out. The five foam inserts do the job that was intended and should last an immeasurably amount of time.

Size and weight appropriate?
The size of the Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box is 4" x 7¼" x 1¼". I found it to be a bit long when finding a place to put it in my vest or chest/fanny packs. The weight was never an issue but finding a pocket that you can easily locate the box may become frustrating. Take into consideration, that the reason you may purchase this fly box is to create dropper rigs that could be as long as 18+ inches folded up into a box 7¼ inches long. Then the size may be appropriate for your use.

How was the ease of use, functions, features?
I found the Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box very easy to use. You can setup your dropper rigs in the comfort of your home the night before you go fishing. I was able to tie two and/or three different flies per dropper rig without any issues. You should be able to put up to two different dropper rigs on each foam insert and possibly more but I found it to be to cluttered with more than two. Once I have a situation on the river that I want to fish a dropper rig it was very simple to open up the box and identify the rig that I wanted, then detach from the foam insert and tie on the dropper rig. I save immeasurable amount of time setting up a three fly dropper rig the night before.

For whom would I recommend it?
I would recommend the Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box to anyone who likes to save time while fishing. This fly box enables a fly fisher to prepare their dropper rigs ahead of time to allow for more fishing time. If you are the impatient type when you get out on the water this box may be for you. I would also recommend this box to anyone who enjoys fly fishing multiple flies: nymph and/or dry fly. If you know the area that you are fishing and have proven fly patterns specific to your area then this box may be your best bet. Also, if you have problems with your hands such as arthritis it may help you to tie your dropper rigs before you are on the water in order to enjoy your fishing trip.

Why did I choose it?
I chose it because I started to find that adding a nymph to my dry fly started to produce more takes. The only thing I did not like about creating dropper rigs was the time involved in tying them up. So, this box is the solution to saving me time and allowing me to enjoy fly fishing even more.

Pros?
Time Saver
Multiple dropper rigs
Durable Foam Inserts

Cons?
Not Waterproof
Could have a better plastic material for box
Length may cause storage problems

Overall Rating (1-5 with 1 being "horrible" and 5 being "outstanding"):
4 out of 5

Review brought to you by Terry Will July 6, 2006

BigCliff

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write up a great review Terry. How do you tie on these dropper rigs once they're out of the box?

Joni

Reaction score
I of course have one of these boxes (one of the first-perks for working for Orvis). They are great specially in the winter when I am using such tiny flies, however, right now I use the box more for my hand tied leaders (different tapers)
I still prefer my "Y" over tying off the bend. I will also at times tie in a long tippet, slide the first fly on almost to the knot. Make a loop, pass the fly through two times, cinch leaving a small loop, then tie the dropper off the end. So basically tying dropper off the eye. Get more hook ups on both this way also.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Darknight, this was a great review. When coupled with using Scientific Anglers' L2L Reconnect Leaders, you can easily double/treble actual fishing time onstream, especially with a lot of fly changes.