Allen & Co. Alpha WOW!!!

ab fisher

Reaction score
Last Friday I had picked up an Alpha 2/4 wt reel from Justin to go on a 4wt rod. I had already picked up a XL in 5/6 wt and am very happy with it so I decided to go the next step up on his reel line to see what the Alpha had.

When I first received the Alpha on Friday 04/09/2010 I was blown away by its appearance. My first impression on the reel was "WOW!!!! What an outstanding looking reel".

So of course, after examining this reels external beauty, by my nature I had to dig into it a little more and find out every little thing that made this thing work. After taking the spool off and examining the spool I found that there were two small ball bearings, one on each side of the spool to slide over the drag stem and keep out any play in the spool much like the two ball bearing in the XL series. One modification from the XL to the Alpha is that the one way bearing has been moved out of the spool and placed directly in the drag stem. I have not noted any real performance differences with it being moved there. The only over all advantage I could find with that is it lightens up to spool and makes it easier to change retrieval sides. The line capacity of the reel is about average for a reel this size. I had spooled up a airflow ridge line tactical trout 90' WF 4wt with about 30-40 yards of Dacron backing and I also had put on a Shark Skin trout taper 100' WF 4wt with about 20 yards of Dacron backing just to see what it could really hold. For a 4wt rod you won’t need any more line than that I don’t think, right?

Now to the frame. After fiddling with the spool for a few minutes I had moved on to the frame and drag system. The frame it self is very durable, I had to text Justin and actually ask him if it was a different material than the XL because of how sturdy it was but still very light. The cuts defiantly look nice on the frame but play a very big part in the sturdiness of this reel. After examining the frame I moved on to the drag system. The drag is a large carbon sealed disc system with a wide variation in drag tension. The drag on this reel does not have the start up tension than needs more pressure to start like some that you see on other companies reels. That in tern makes it very gentle on fine tippets and makes it much harder for a fish to break loose. A large drag knob is incorporated on the reel with large cuts so your hand will not slip. This reel defiantly has a top of the line simple drag system that will take some real abuse to wear out.

I was ale to get out this past weekend to fish it and test if my initial observations were correct. By the end of the day I have landed 9 Mountain white fish ranging from 15-21 inches on this reel with out loosing a single fish due to the drag start up tension and was able to land the fish quickly with the mid arbor design. After hooking that many white fish on this reel I have no doubt that this reel will last a life time.

Thank You,

AB

oregonism

Reaction score
Any chance you could measure the outside diameter of the Alpha, as well as the width? I want to get a compact large arbor to go on a 5wt, where I won't really need much backing (trout usually don't run very hard).

thenextlevel

Reaction score
I received an Alpha 5/6 a couple of days ago. I was very impressed with the quality of this reel. I haven't had the chance to test it on the water yet, but I have had many different reels over the years and this one feels and looks as good as any.

boser

Reaction score
Well, I heard so much about these Allen Reels, I just had to get one. I picked up a used 5/6 wt Alpha and fished it today. It is awesome...I really like to close tolerances, the larger drag knob. The polished look, When I was loading the spool with backing and fly line, I noticed how it spooled nice and even. I caught a few nice Crappie with the Alpha this morning. I am buying 3 more reels from Justin because I do like the reels. I also like his warranty. It's simple. If it does break, he will fix it.....I'd bet it wont break until I have completely abused it.. Ha!

Thanks for the thread, Boser

gjcordray

Reaction score
Is the drag maintenance free? Does anybody know?

I just received my Alpha 5/6 and I have to agree that initially the reel looks and feels top notch. Very light and well made.

boser

Reaction score
Is the drag maintenance free? Does anybody know?

I just received my Alpha 5/6 and I have to agree that initially the reel looks and feels top notch. Very light and well made.

I believe it is maintenence free but if you soak it in water while fishing ( It happens to me once in a while) you might want to take it apart and dry it. Justin should really be answering this question but I thought I would chime in...

Regards, Boser

gjcordray

Reaction score
I believe it is maintenence free but if you soak it in water while fishing ( It happens to me once in a while) you might want to take it apart and dry it. Justin should really be answering this question but I thought I would chime in...

Regards, Boser
Thanks Boser.

It looks like it is and I haven't heard anything different so far. Going out tomorrow to see if I can test that drag.

Gary

gjcordray

Reaction score
Thanks Justin. Heard you moved? Hope it went well. That has to be a hassle this time of year. Appreciate the reply.

I still can't get over how this reel feels and how it looks. I showed three friends yesterday and they could not believe that it did not cost at least $200. And it is a "bigger" reel than the equivalent size Ross reel. What I mean is that if you compare their Evolution 2 to the Alpha 5/6 (both are for rods in the same line sizes - 5/6) the ALpha has a wider spool and a larger arbor in diameter. It looks closer to an Evolution 3. However, it is not much heavier, only about 3/4 of an ounce. It feels like you could drop it off a building and it would still work just fine (but I won't). It is a very cold day here in Colorado, and I am getting ready to hit the South Platte with a friend. We have our work cut out for us, but I hope to get into some sizable fish and give this thing a workout. Either way I am not at the mall. :)

Gary

kelkay

Reaction score
I tried out my 5/6 Alpha today. I put some Rio Bass line on it. Both were fantastic. Justin, your reels are top notch. I am a fan of your products. The Alpha is every bit as sweet as I thought it would be. Super job on this reel!!!

lenio8403

Reaction score
Taking down negative review as I do not wish ppl to think tom wrote it. I was much more disappointed than him as I've already had to replace mine due to issues.

Last edited:

vtmatt

Reaction score
I have two Allen reels, and am not that impressed to be honest.

I have a 5/6 Trout that is alright for it's price. The drag like to "skip" when the reel is wet. Not sure if you guys know what I mean, but even when the drag is tight, after getting it wet, it almost free-spins when a fish makes a hard run. So I've got to palm it alot. Other than that, retrieve is smooth, and the reel looks nice.

I picked up an Alpha II as well. Nice looking reel because of the blue color. While it was in the case, it took a 1.5 foot drop onto some rocks while loading it into the car. Wasn't really much of a drop, just a tumble. It was in the case so I didn't think anything of it.

I got home and found the spool was bent so bad it rubbed when spun and was unfishable and the anodizing was chipped off in a few spots on the spool. From such a small tumble while in the case?? A case of sub-par aluminum and anodizing. My Ross has been dropped on quite a few rocks and boulders from taking spills, and it still runs completely true and the anodizing is still perfect... I didn't get much help from Justin. Wanted a refund for the reel but he refused. Even though I wasn't happy with the quality of the reel overall, I guess he doesn't offer refunds when customers arent happy with everything about the product. Wanted me to pay money to send in the reel so he could "fix" it. I gave up after a week of exchanging emails and chalked up my loss. I bent the spool back myself enough to where it doesn't rub, but in terms of buying anything else from his company, I'll pass. Both the reels are sitting in the closet, and I'm looking for someone to "gift" them to.

Also have a fly box with plastic compartments from them that I had to throw away because all the pins holding the compartments together fell out in the first week. Lost countless flies because of it. Oh, and I bought a batch of bad hooks from him. They all had deformed hook bends. They were all pinched by something, so when they bent they just snapped like a twig. I sent him an email, he refused to send another package until I sent him all of the hooks back, really??? I offered to send pictures of the hooks, and he was of no help.

There is my rant about the company. Overall totally dissatisfied with the customer service. Has lost my future purchased, and that of friends I could have recommended them to.

Oh, and I entered reviews on everything I bought from there. None of them got accepted even though they were all true. The two reels, fly box, hooks....the only one that got accepted was the "first impression 5/5" I sent in for the trout reel which was before I had even fished it.... Ha, what a joke! Talk about selective reviews on the website. I can only wonder how many neutral or bad reviews they haven't put up on the website.

allenflyfishing

Business Member
Reaction score
I have two Allen reels, .......
Hi Matt,

It's good to hear from you. Hope things are going well. We have had a lot of emails back and fourth over the years. I believe the first one was you asking for a reel at 70% off with a story you gave me. However, we denied the request. Also, the request for guide pricing was denied.

I would like to address the hooks. Hooks are a low cost product and we would never ask for them back. It would make for an added expense on our part. I do remember asking for the photo and never received those. From my understanding all the negativity came from after our discussion of the reels.

Yes, you did tell me you bent the spool. However, the disagreement was how we wanted to handle the warranty. We were offering you a pre-paid label to ship the spool back. Once the spool was in the USPS system we would have shipped you a new spool that day overnight as we have done in the past.

Unfortunately, you wanted to keep the current spool and have us send you another one then offered to negotiate to keep both. Our warranty has been great for those that needed to use it. A few days went by and then you wanted your money back on the reel.

Keep in mind this a product that was user error and purchased 6+ months prior and used many times. Maybe its a moral/ethical issue for me, but that is an issue. This has never happened to me. So I even consulted with several other companies in the industry during trade shows around the country about this matter and they all agreed. I asked for outside help because I'll admit I don't always have the right answer. The conclusion was this is an issue of cheating the system and one of the factors for product pricing structure.

The reviews were a personal attack. Those do customers no good at all. Also, you did them under fake names all with the same IP address. We have steps in place to prevent those. When/if we get a negative review we try contacting that individual personally to work out the issue if they leave there name in the review. We put a lot of work in our products and I'm proud to say a negative review is rare. I take great pride in that.

No company can have 100% satisfaction, but we all try hard to get as close to that has possible.

I've been on both sides of up's and downs. Some of you that know me personally at trade shows know my story. I did not take a paycheck from May 07 to Dec 2010 so my families business did not have to lay off our plant manager who just had twins and a few other people. I started AFF in May 2008 with no money. I went through my savings, lost my house, filled bankruptcy, and was on unemployment. I even had a stress attack that I thought was a heart attack. Last thing I'm going to do is jeopardize my reputation. When you tasted the bottom its not fun.

I can assure anyone who might read the above post is not a true reflection on myself or my company. We do what we can to make the experience of our customers an enjoyable one and have them come back in the future.

Thank you,

Justin
574-855-7100

Last edited:

caseywise

Reaction score
allen is a new and strong name in our industry.
evolving reels and rods as speak.

i will put trust in these guys as they continue to
evolve..

caset

newby

Reaction score
Justin: yet another reasonable, no-nonsense reply to someone who has come on this forum with a perceived issue and not had a leg to stand on.

Every Allen Fly Fishing product I have used is top notch, and every thing I have heard and experienced about the customer service has been second to none. I will continue to support allen fly fishing and hope that no negative reviews like this keep anyone from purchasing from them.

wlai

Reaction score
I have the ATS rod and Trout reel and they are very nice products. Have good success with their customer service too, and am working with Kyleon a repair that's my fault and its very reasonable.

It seems that every Allen thread always have the same few disgruntled ex-customers, but it seems like avery isolated incidents as most customers are happy, quietly using the product. Definitely recommended.

caseywise

Reaction score
first off i'm a big allen fan.
allen tackle is solid, well made gear with a great warranty and an even greater group of folks backing it up.
sure, as any startup, they had a few hiccups along the way.
but now, becoming a major player
in our industry, they continue to evolve by leaps and bounds.
so keep allen in line!
pun intended:p:p

great gear!!